Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking about making my own hood ornament

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZachB, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ZachB

ZachB

I discovered this emblem made by custom companies that I really liked. I decided I want a hood ornament like the emblem. The problem is the company never produced a hood ornament like it so I find my self looking for alternatives. My problem is I don't know how to go about making stuff like ornaments. When it gets down to modifying stuff to work I can do it all day long but making a pice of art is not in my comfort zone. Does anybody know of a good way to start or is it just throw what I can out there and go from there?

2. How about a photo of what you have? HRP

3. roddinron

roddinron

Doesn't really sound like you're thinking of making "your own" hood ornament. Sounds more like your thinking of copying someone elses' design, companies usually frown on that kind of thing. :rolleyes:

4. ZachB

ZachB

Actually not trying to exactly recreate what they have. I like what they have and want to change it a little. It's an outline of a person. My thoughts are to add the details dish as eyes and instead of it being flat I would like it tho be three dementional. It's only a one sided image and I want to be able to spin it around and it have all the features of what it would be like to spin it around.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

What are you putting this "spinning" hood ornament on,pictures would help.

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

old bowling trophies sure look good on a hood.or ice skating.

7. ZachB

ZachB

What I saw does not look like what I have in my head. It just has that outline. The ornament does not spin it's just if you picked it up it would have that much detail. What I want to do is a woman with her feet hanging over a Chevy emblem while she is sitting up with her hand looking like they are supporting her weight. This would be a rather delicate ornament. Her feet resting on the chevy emblem can be different I just thought it would a cool thing to do.

8. Sounds lik a good goal. Loudpedal did a great how to on diy casting with some sand and a 5 gallon bucket. I still getting mine together. Check this out..bst thread ever.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464599

Do a search there are other good links on the tech post.

9. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

Go to any truck stop with a chrome shop in it and they have all kinds of chrome ladies,sitting,laying,flying,whatever you need.

11. ZachB

ZachB

Not a bad idea