Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Simple Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. some times simple is the way to go -cool car !

3. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Indeed :) I like it

4. That is my kind of Custom! reminds me a lot of the Hoffman Chevy.

5. I am a firm believer in "less is more" especially with the mid 50's Fords & Chevys. I think a set of 55 Mercury station wagon tail lights would have really set off the rear end. I like it!

Attached Files:

6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Less usually is more when it comes to customs...there is a fine line to walk when building a custom

7. As ol' Leonardo once said, Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication. In spades, here. Nice car, and that said, it is a wonder we don't see more modern interpretations of this idea.

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

55's make super mild customs in my opinion. That is one of the best. Thanks Ryan.

9. seatex

seatex

Looks like Larry had style in spades. Who is the chick sporting the CT? Big Judy?

10. srs1

srs1

11. Couldn't agree more, always liked those subtle mods that most "regular" folks miss.
    I had an uncle who had a similar mild custom mid 50's ford, He had it a little lower than stock and had a set of Mercury turnpike cruiser skirts on it. The cars long gone, but the cruiser skirts were still on a shelf in the basement when I started buying the house from Dad. The skirts moved onto a new owner (courtesy of the HAMB classifieds) somewhere out Californ-i-a way.

12. ukgav

ukgav

55 hard tops are gorgeous cars.
    Here is one I used to won.
    [​IMG]

13. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

White is also a great color that is often overlooked when trying to make a statement, yet it is so simple that it does make a statement.

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Agreed. Less is more when it comes to kustom rides. Alot of cars from that era looked great straight out the factory. Simple, yet effective mods enhanced their appearance. This is the path I choose with my shoebox. For me simple mods that boost the rides appeal and are better than the full radical treatment where by you don't recognize what car your looking at. Today elegance and restraint are lost on some kustoms, but elegance and restraint is something they new about back in the day

15. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I'd drive it......and the car's not bad either.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit NEWFISHER ya beat me to it!

That car is right on. I've always preferred the 56 to the 55 mainly for the parking lights and grille area, but that's a great way to enhance the line that both of them follow. Hombres, you nailed it with the golden rule too. Restraint.

I hate to pick at it, but is the grille a bit out of whack or is it the picture? Picture #3, it looks like it got bumped and bent down. Camera angle? I wouldn't kick it outta my garage for that, just sayin...

17. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

the women (e.g. the one in the picture ) were better in the simple fashion too

18. That thing is beautiful! So clean and simple...

19. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm a fan of the 55, partly because I own one. This is a great example of a well done 55. I'm seeing a lot more mid 50s fords at shows and most of them have been tastefully done.

20. froghawk

froghawk

Great car!

The caps are pretty unique... look like '56 Ford with an Edsel cast metal spinner bolted to them. Don't think I've seen that on any other car. Even so I gotta wonder if maybe Larry had an eye out for a decent set of '55 Dodge Lancer caps!

21. Bingo! You got it...

22. murfman

murfman

Sometimes the most important mod on a custom is knowing when to stop. This Ford is a perfect example of that. I've seen so many over done Pepto Bismol pink Chopped Mercs with way to many mods driving around.

23. oldthudman

oldthudman

I love Larry's long white legs..............wow!

24. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Those where some great years for American Automotive.

I like where the Hamb is headed...

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

Simple is always the way to go.Clean and lean.

26. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE crazy customs (Barris, Starbird, Alexander bros. etc...) But I also love that slight chop, slight lowered, very few moded customs!

27. jroberts

jroberts

You took the words right out of my mouth, "cleand and simple" and darned near perfect.

28. catdad49

catdad49

This thing is low, Daddy. A good foundation is essential for a great house, I mean, car. Less is more wins again.

29. texdesoto

texdesoto

Man I love the models they used back in the day!