Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eddy2ray, Sep 11, 2013.

1. eddy2ray

eddy2ray
    from Arkansas

Need people to weigh in on this. Read that the new oil of today is not good for this 57 223 ford motor due to zinc content in oil. Is there anything to that?

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been discussed a million times, couple thousand just on this board. Most current oils do not have the zinc like older oils did, thanks to the EPA. There are still a few that are OK, Brad Penn has some, and there are also additives you can buy to mix with today's oils that will include zinc. Do a search on "oil and zinc" and spend most of the day reading.....

3. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

^^^ Yep..Ebb beat me to it :(

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

How much ZDDT do you think was in oil that was formulated in 1957? Was it the witches brew of detergents, anti foam additives, detergents, viscosity stabilizers, surfactants, and zinc and phosphorus that is today's lubricants or was it more like, just oil????

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

5. George

George

SA is pure oil, can be bought @ Wal-Mart, "Accel" brand, says "Not for use in cars made after 1929". Supposedly oil today is 50% additives. Use pre SM oil. SF/SG should be good.

6. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Diesel truck oils carry zinc. Zinc additive can be purchases as well. The zinc is beneficial to heads with tappets. Not so much required for other types of heads.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Oh boy-- something new to talk about...

8. no55mad

no55mad

Read here: www.ZDDPlus.com
    ZDDP is sold by an Alliance Vendor - last vendor on the list - support the HAMB!

Note: I must have typed this message a million times here:confused: I'm not associated with this vendor but use this product added to off the shelf oil and drive like a madman!

9. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Say no to Diesel Oils, they hardly have any more zinc than normal oil these days and have a higher detergent content which actually makes them worse for your flat tappet engine.

Having too high a detergent in a flat tappet engine is just as bad as not enough ZDDP but it's often overlooked. I run 4 quarts of regular Valvoline 30wt. in mine with one quart of "non-detergent" 30wt. to cut down the detergent and a bottle of Zinc additive which is available at any parts house these days.

On the other hand, if you have a roller motor then it's not really an issue but I still run ZDDP additive in my dailys just for peace of mind. Fuck Catalytic converters, they are a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Diesel oil of today has almost no zinc in it. It used to be the way to go, but with so little zinc in it, it's not the hot ticket it used to be.

11. classic gary

classic gary

223 ford motor due to the LACK OF zinc content in oil..........

12. zinc additives are available , both of these you can get at O'Reillys

i've been using Edelbrock #1074

[​IMG]

i have also tried Rislone # 4405

[​IMG]

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

At the price of additives for each oil change, you'll save a lot of bucks buying oil that's already got zinc in it. I buy Brad Penn for $6.25 a qt., so it's cheaper than good oil and a $12-$14 bottle of additive.

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

Ouch...

Would like to run the additive on my 305 GMC V6 (has solid lifters), but it comsumes a bit of oil, to the tune of a quart a week.

15. Rislone is $ 8.99 at O'Reillys

16. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you used 30wt Valvoline VR1, you would save having to add any zinc additives or mixing oils. :)

17. jkeesey

jkeesey

I get and sell the Brad Penn for $6 a quart so that's the way I go with every car now.

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With the low valve spring load on your well broken in cam don't worry about high dollar oil or additives . Any decent oil even wal-mart private label will be fine. Now a new flat tappet cam with 100lbs seated spring pressure and 300 open that is a different story!!!

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Valve train in a 223 is so lightly loaded you should have no problem using off the shelf oil especially if you use the oil formulated for old motors.

20. 5window

5window

just for argument's sake: I can get a 5 quart container of oil at Walmart for $16. $14 for additive and that's thirty. 5 quarts of Brad Pen for $6.25 is $31.25/

I'm not arguing the latter isn't a good way to go-but it won't save you money on an oil change.

21. eddy2ray

eddy2ray
    from Arkansas

Well thank you all very much, reason asking as i have a lot of old records over the last 12-13 years and the guy had done a lot of rocker and head work, thought that may have been the reason. Like a lot of the suggestions.....

22. George

George

Zinc really isn't about rockers/heads, it's about non-roller cams/lifters. lack of lead may have an affect on valves & seats, but that's different subject.

23. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Vr1 isn't street oil and doesn't have the correct additive packages to stand up to street use. It's meant for a 500 mile interval MAXIMUM. SO IT'S ONLY GOOD FOR ACTUAL RACING.

24. calmond1

calmond1
    from Albemarle

I use STP in my truck with a 302. Very cheap at wal mart.

25. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

link?

26. sierra-steve

sierra-steve
    from Reno, NV

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap, I've been using VR1 for years, in everything old I own!

28. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I recently found this oil made by Quaker State. Says it has Zinc in it, and it is rated SL.

Attached Files:

29. conormulroney

conormulroney

Plus the 223 is a bulletproof motor. I use pretty much any oil and regular gas in mine and drive it everywhere. High RPMs on the highway and all; never lets me down. Don't over-think it, just drive it

30. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

So have I. Im not worried about it.