Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian Chromers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Sep 10, 2013.

1. This is a thread for us Canucks , Who has used what chromers and their experience with and what kind of quality of work ? Always people want to know how expensive one shop is from the other . Lets hear some opinions . I will be needing to have work done at a later date but I would like to be informed as well as others I am sure .

2. i've had chroming done by two shops both are expensive chroming is very labor intensive, both these shops are known for the quality of the work.it's the the prep of the parts to be done that's important because any defect will show.and you will get what you ask for.

3. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Zenith in Dartmouth N.S. (902-468-4848) has always been the "Go-To" around here but they've done away with their large tanks and switched the main line to anodizing alloys.
    They apparently can still plate things under 4 ft long.
    I was in there about a month ago and Leonard Hartlin was very helpful with all of my questions.
    The only other one I've dealt with was Ardaven Platers (Mississauga) when I was in Ontario.
    Also Mississauga Metalizers was great at plating plastics when I was doing a lot of custom work. We even got gelcoat to plate nicely a couple of times. They used to plate those huge Jaguar cats in front of the dealerships. Those were 2 pcs of clear vac-formed acrylic plated on the inside.

4. Come on theres got to be more canucks on here with the info !!! BTTT

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are there any left? As far back as 30 years ago guys who lived near the border were taking stuff to the US to be chromed because it was so much cheaper, and you couldn't find a chrome shop anyway.

The environmental laws put them out of business years ago.

6. movingviolation

movingviolation

Does Mr2 still chrome in Quebec? Had stuff done there about 12 years ago...

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Out here in BC Pacific Plating used to be good. New owner so I can't say much of recent work

8. Yep in the mid 80's we would cross into Windsor unbolt our bumpers drive back across and wait for a phone call to let us know they were ready...of course our US dollar was very strong, and I don't remember all the taxes they have today.

9. Eric H

Eric H

Ya, those guys are long gone now. Where do ou go in the Detriot area?

10. OneBad56

OneBad56

Not too many platers left due to environmental concerns.

Only one left in Southern Alberta: Alberta Platers in Calgary.
    Lots of people ship parts to them. I've had quite a bit done and like anything else, got to inspect it before walking out the door. they've had to re-do a few pieces but at no cost to me.

I believe there is one in Edmonton - Fairmont?

In BC, again, only one left - Victoria Platers in Victoria BC

11. Geesh ! this isn't sounding to promising. Maybe everything will get spray bomb chrome . That's good enough , isn't it ? Tree huggers will be the downfall of the whole economy and we wont even see it coming . They have their noses into everything .

12. 62chevy

62chevy
    from manitoba

We used to have a few choices in Winnipeg, but they shut down one by one. The last place that did bumpers just shut down within the last year. All we have left is a couple of platers that can do small parts. I used to get a good deal on plating bumpers,knew the owner and staff, but they sold out to big company and new owners shut down the chrome shop. Getting very pricey to have old bumpers repaired and re plated

13. gold03

gold03

Supreme Plating in Edmonton. I have not used their plating services, so I can't comment on it. Their powder coating was less than satisfactory, even the re coat.

14. brad2v

brad2v

I've dealt with Alberta Plating here in Calgary. Nice work, decent turnaround, but bring money. But I suppose that's true of any chromer. I think Fairmont in Calgary is still around, the last time I used them was years ago. I wasn't very happy with the quality then, but who knows now. And I believe Advance Plating is still going, but I've never dealt with them, but they're always at the swaps and their display stuff looks good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Yup!
    I'll be glad when all this save the planet fad blows over and we can get back to normal.

Seriously though- the spray on chrome threads here showed some very impressive photos. But they are photos. I've not seen any of it in the "flesh", for lack of a better term.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 51custom

51custom

I used Midway plating in London Ontario several years ago,they do very good work...(519) 686 7216

17. Great choice, that's who did all my chrome work over the years, but I've been told they are no longer in business!!!!!!

18. Cambridge Chrome in Cambridge Ontario.
    Not cheap by any means, but the quality
    is on another level.
    I believe they do work for Harley,
    which is the nicest chrome I have ever seen.

19. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

O.K. I will reveal my private sources for chrome plating, NOT CHEAP but not the most Expensive either. Good quality and usually quick turnaround aprox. 2 weeks. Larry :):)

1. New Toro Plating , 70 Snidercroft Rd. Toronto. 905-699-2100. Ask for Shak.

2. Jims Polishing and Plating, 53 Moira Ave. Scarboro, 416-264-2577.

20. Thanks guys for your sources. That info will be stored for sure . I like the fact that at least they only half way across the country from me on the east coast . Thanks again.. Andy...

21. There have been a "few" who have had problems with Cambridge Chrome...I bought a Prefect from the Owner..Took him nearly a yr to redo the front grill as part of our deal (didn't straighten it well)..

One door handle was chrome with dirt under it.

But that's only MY expereince..Not bad mouthing them..
    many quality pieces have come out of that shop.

Rick

22. Just from personal experiance of someone that used to have a lot of chroming done for my truck kustomizing business, stay well away from New Toro...gave them a try cause they were 2hrs closer than Midway and was the biggest nightmare I've ever had. Bumper started to rust on a show truck after 3 months and I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to do anything about it and after jerking me around for 2 more months finally re-did the bumper...lasted 1 month before whole face broke out in rust spots! thank god for very understanding kustomers...hit up Midway 100%...perfect prep and perfect chrome and super reasonable.

23. This is what scares me about platers especially sending something away to one. I understand and accept that mistakes can be made and things might not be perfect but you never hear that once a mistake has been made that getting it fixed is easy with platers. It is always "I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to fix it" and then the fix is usually just as shitty. It is like they never want to admit a mistake and just do the absolute minimum they can get away with to fix the problems. I don't think I have ever read a case where when the first attempt wasn't great the plater stepped up and fixed it no questions asked.

24. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I have been using them (New Toro) for them for over 3 years and never had a problem with the quality or service. Maybe you had a crappy bumper to begin with..

25. Its sounding like this stuff is hit and miss . Either you have good luck with one or you dont . I am going to have to just take that leap of faith when it comes time I guess !!

26. In BC, again, only one left - Victoria Platers in Victoria BC[/QUOTE]

Electroshine Plating is in Sidney BC about 10 miles from Victoria Plating.

27. Electroshine Plating is in Sidney BC about 10 miles from Victoria Plating.[/QUOTE]

There is still Pacific Plating in Burnaby, BC and Fraser Valley Plating in Abbotsford, BC isn't there?

28. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Midway was good but they're T.U.

29. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Cambridge has a good reputation although they're quite expensive - I had real bad luck with them though. Had my '47 Ford Convertible bumpers done there and they came back all blistered on the back. The front looked great though. I had to take a 2" sander in my domore and grind off the back side for paint - not too happy with them. When I showed the guy how bad they were he just shook his head and said to take 'em or leave'em. Couldn't care less as long as he got paid.