Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"bet you get out voted on that one Mr.Moon."

Next you'll be wanting to vote to see who shot Kennedy! :D<!-- / message -->

'So I want to get this right. If we never find our dads 56 that was race in C & B/Gas at San Fernando, Lions, Fontana, Old San Gabe, and Famoso, but we build a clone, but it never gets raced, or it has some updates to allow us to race it today..,its not a Gasser as far as The Moon Man is concerned.'

Well it only took 630 post but at least you finally got much part right!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"all others will run in an index class called " I just don't get it" and get a Tattoo stating this designation"

No need to index them, hell their already built just a like and run pretty much the same damn speed! ;)

3. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Actually thanks for pointing that out, that "yes" is an error. IMO no, it would not be a race horse. But I'm glade your following my logic!! :D

4. Do we allow electric motors too? Electric cars can do 185 mph now.

P.S. Didn't the first 'glass Willys come out in about '64-'65?

5. One thing that you guys should get straight, ( I think) is: are you talking about race cars or street cars.

6. If someone shuts this thread down please only kill peoples ability to post as I would like to be able to refer back to parts of it in the future. Very entertaining to me but someone is bound to get their feelings hurt (like I did when you guys nixed my wheels) . I need 2 copys of the rules and an XL T shirt. :)

7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Actually this is one of the more civil "Gasser" discussions posted in some time.

I'm sure everyone realizes that we each have different agendas and basis from which our prospective are derived. And I haven't noticed any name calling.

I'd guess that if anything were to get this thread booted it would be the referenced to non HAMB eras and cars. I thought my computer was going to blow when I read a reference to some damn Maverick earlier! :eek:

8. Larry T

Larry T

I'm pretty sure figerglass bodies were allowed in 1968, but then again it could have been 69. My rule books for those years are gone. Fabricated chassis were allowed in around the same time.

One of my favorite gassers is Herrera's Austin. Take a guess if it's steel or glass.

9. chopped

chopped

Simple really, if it never raced it's a Virgin Gasser. Once used it's a Race Whore.

10. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

What gas class did the "finn-junn" run in and what years?

11. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Dave, you started a very good thread that most all members understand. There is always and will always be a conflect as to what is the "rite" way.
    If I have in any wat deterated this thread, forgive me.
    It only shows that these cars are very sentamental to all of us.
    As its been stated by many, chose your favorate features and build your car the way you want, you will not EVER be sorry
    Its your dime, time and ride...............you will love it

12. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Mine must be arotten whore.........I love her and so does alot of other folks, she gets around.........

13. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

The class depended on the engine it was running at the time. It ran everything from carbed small blocks to blown big blocks.

It did most of it's track time during mid to late 60's at Lebanon Valley, NY. Never more than just an old field car.

A couple of these were at the Valley even before they built the stands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CalGasser

CalGasser

Well Moonshine that does it, I guess I don't have a Gasser then... but then I'm no expert! :eek: My head hurts and am totally confused now. Maybe I'll sell my non-gassers and take up stamp collecting or start a rock collection or something - but I'm afraid people may ding me for that too...:confused:

15. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I love the old pictures. You say thats a big block with the 4-71 and Hilborn 2-port?

16. CalGasser

CalGasser

Too much moonshine Ric. Glad someone's got it! :)

17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Come on guys.......we need a group hug. Please

18. but keep in mind that American brought out the Torque Thrust D to clear disc brakes back in the early 60's so they are old enough to be "traditional" here whether you like em or not :D

19. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"Maybe I'll sell my non-gassers and take up stamp collecting or start a rock collection or something"

Do you need to ask me anything about rocks? :D

Don't act like your not enjoying this, just look at all the good typing practice your getting! ;)

Hell, if I could catch you at the red light I'd give you a good look at the ass end of a Gasser! :D

20. That just shows that you know NOTHING about Thoroughbred Horses. The Thoroughbred breed is what we call a Hot Blooded breed, which means they have a lot of Agility, Spirit and Speed by nature. And while they are used heavily in racing, they are also used as Polo Horses, Fox Hunting, Dressage, Jumping etc. My wife has won 3 Day Eventing Championships on thoroughbreds, one that came off the track and one that had never seen a race track in his life - but they were both Thoroughbred Horses.
    Sorry, but that was just a bad example you chose :D:D

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The A/FX Mustangs and also Phil Bonners Falcon ran magnesium D Spoke Americans in 1965 on the rear, also AC Cobras did too. None of them Gassers , but they are from the era.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

Attached Files:

22. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Actually I believe that was a small block setup in that picture. The old big block ran a tunnel ram at one time and ran a injected 6/71 after that.

Like most of the old stuff, the guy that built it spent more time working on it than running it!

23. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Actually you make my point exactly! Just because a car looks like a gasser doesn't make it one! Exactly!

Now read my next couple post past the one you quoted. I state that the "yes" was an error. And your right, I don't know shit about horses, but I married a hot blooded bread! (red head)

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Tried to keep out of this one but here's my .02

Some of this stuff is just silly but to be expected I guess. To me as I hope others on here that appreciate authentic and old timey stuff, a gasser is representative of the glory days of racing from this particular class of cars. Doesn't have to be the fastest, rarest or prettiest, just "real". As in as many i's dotted and t's crossed as possible and for the most part fits the rulebook (within reason of course) of the particular era you prefer. Quain and Kiwi Kev off the top of my head would be good spiritual leaders in this regard.

I'd say one of my biggest miffs is usually wheel and tire selection. The right look isn't necessarily the most expensive one, just takes a little more effort.

25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

To me the new and old D spokes are completely different. The old ones had a distinct kink just before they met up with the outer wheel.

26. Hey, I like that.

27. Now that I know what a gasser is can someone please explain what a hot rod is and what does traditional mean? Also what exactly is a rat rod? Thanks in advance.

ps....I.m hoping the rat rod thing will get this thread shut down.

28. Hey DirtyDave, how about a stroked 348 Chevy "W" engine. The blocks are still relatively cheap (especially compared to 409 blocks). Eagle makes a drop in 4.000 stroke crank so it becomes 430"+ cubes presto! Use a .250 long (6.385)big block Chevy rod, have me build some modern pistons with modern rings, improved cam grinds from Isky/ Comp, Edelboch has the whole topend covered, MSD/mag/dual or single point dizzy. If you do everything wrong, it'll still make 500hp

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The rule changed in 1967 to allow complete fiberglass bodies, as long as they were exact copies of the car they represented. I have a friend who has a fiberglass '41 Willys built in that era and competed in A/GS with a blown 392 hemi.

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You do know that real spindle mount wheels weren't allowed in the Gas class until 1967 and only on supercharged cars at that time? So all the talk of fake or real spindle mounts is a later gasser era thing, and only in the top class of gassers.