Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new Hamb taught me something about myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bottom line...

No matter how it's formatted, the Hamb is the absolute best. Remember...the format doesn't make the Hamb...Ryan, the mods and the members do. So nothing is really changed. We're all still here for each other.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You realized you're more of a custom kind of guy. Yeah...especially when you see something like cleatus's custom '40 Chevy coupe! Absolutely awesome.

[​IMG]

I've been here since '08, but hadn't seen his car before. And I only did now due to the new format.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. Chaz
    I have yet to even look at the Custom side of the site and spend a lot of my time on the general discussion so far.

I have always been more of a rodder than a custom guy myself. Although I do lean toward the customs of the '40s before low and slow became the rule.

That said I do appreciate a well executed custom. When a builder gets every thing just right a well executed custom is just pleazing to the eye.

4. Old guys don't take to change and that's me.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not a fan of the spit in the beginning. But something I have noticed is topics seem to stick around a lot longer so more opportunity for participation. When it was altogether, you could post a thread and it would be buried 6 pages deep in a heartbeat never to be seen again. Still adjusting, but I like it.

6. F&J

F&J

I like the sections so far.

I am not "tight ass period perfect elitist", but please everyone read my point.

We are on the only traditional site that I know of.

If a guy can't use so called "toxic lead" on his custom, or laquer primer or topcoat, can't weld a pitman arm, or run a single circuit brake without getting flak...then someone is on the wrong page.

If anyone thinks I can't see beyond 100% old parts; One of the best 32 flathead V8 roadster highboys here in the Northeast has an impressive list of all the right parts.. I looked in awe at it for 20 minutes, before I noticed it was a glass body. And then I went back under it, looking for more cool stuff under there. I still say it is one of the best...I will never be able to end up with something that "period correct". Someone put a lot of effort into it, and I enjoyed looking it over.

7. its never changed for me, I always just hit "new posts" and I see em all.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fuck it... I'll go ahead and admit it after a few hours of testing. The best of all worlds is going to be available to those who want it... and by that, I mean this:

1. Die hard traditionalists will have their own forums for both hot rods and customs.

2. The traditionally "inspired" but not necessarily die hard period perfect guys will have their own forum without ridicule. It will still be traditionally focused, but fellas with T-5s, 700R4s, radial tires, etc... will be welcomed.

3. And those old farts that don't like change and like everything in one big ass forum will have that too.

So... How about that?

9. Make yourself happy and fuck the rest of us. End of the day if you aren't happy with it the rest of us won't be either and I would just as soon get used to the change and be happy.

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

stop saying the F word.

11. slammed

slammed

No street rods of the '80's-up unless Dog Fight? No blingy 18" billet smoothsters unless Dog Fight? Oh to those other Johnny come lately: Do not bitch about the HAMB this or that, its the humans that post up crap-o-la that are the root of this change. But change for the better.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No street rods... This is still and will always be a traditional forum. It's like this:

I'm into really traditional stuff. I mean, I like to drive OLD cars and I like them to drive like OLD cars. And initially, I decided last week that I was gonna stop covering anything that wasn't an OLD car by my definition.

And then, a good friend of mine was all like, "Well shit, I guess my car is out as I have a t-5 behind my 283."

The only thing is, I really DIG his car. And I thought it sucked he'd be out with all of the other traditionally "inspired" cars that I love.

So, I'm creating some leeway (spelling?) for those fellas that have traditionally inspired cars that aren't period perfect.

At the same time, I'm also creating a space that is really focused on period perfect cars.

AND, I'm also creating a space for those that don't give a fuck (dammit, I did it again) and want to see EVERYTHING.

And that's all I got for now.

13. Why? Do you find me to be offensive?
    Tell me this would I be more acceptable to you if I was just like you? Will the quality of your life be greatly improved if I don't use that word or other vulgarities?

14. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Come on Ryan...speak whats on your mind...don't hold back.......I'm one of the old guys that don't like change cause I have to learn and studdy things a little bit more..........BUT... with that all said...I still love the HAMB and will work my way through till I find what I need....Know why?....cause you can always find the answer to your question on here......There will always be a smart### reply from someone, but I even post some myself on here......whatever you do....keep the HAMB going....Us old guys that still love the smell of an old hot rod with oil leaking from somewhere, or a bondoed up old merc with a top chopped so low you can't get your drink through the window......that's what brings back the memories of when we were young and still makes us feel 16 again when we drive our own car through the drive up and the little pimple faced guys says..."Cool car Sir"......it brings life all back to the fun side and helps us forget the bad times and friends we lost a the local race track or that died all too soon from cancer or heart trouble........Thanks for helping us old guys relive our glory days........if your young, you wont understand any of this, but ONE DAY, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.........you wont walk through the pits at the local race track and hear..there goes the man to beat...you'll hear things like..."thats Mr. Tanner, the old sign man"......sometimes our cars and talking about them helps us get through another day of life...........Thanks, and Keep it going Ryan

15. Can you bring back the Pokemons?! ;)

16. I thought that group had a power struggle and split up never to play together ever again. I heard the drummer was dead anyway.

17. plan9

plan9

Thumbs up to the changes, and (in my opinion) the new focus is a policy moving in the right direction.

18. slammed

slammed

A lot of the complaints of the new change are from guys that have been here 2-3 years. What, is this place a 'restaurant' and you want a menu to suit your tastes?

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

New guys have just as much a right to tradition as old guys do in my mind. And really, my goal is to give them that menu that might seem impossible now... but it ain't... Cuz I'm looking at it right now on my test server! :)

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

It's different..........but, I remember when we used to email pictures to each other and try to have people 'upload' them to the HAMB. It will be nice to not have to search peoples names to see what the reply on to see whats going on & not having to "filter" thru the stuff on the main board. I would be nice to see some of the Original HAMB guys come out of the woodwork to post on the separate sides.

Chris

21. daddio211

daddio211

This is the coolest thing -at least in my opinion- that you could have done for us! I am blown away that anyone here would have an issue with the change!

F - O - C - U - S There, I said it again. Whatcha gonna do 'bout it? This place needs it!

22. I think we can all give peace a chance...

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds good, Ryan. You're obviously trying to consider everybody's interests.
    And that's not an easy thing to do.

Seems nobody'll have anything to complain about.
    Except maybe not having anything to complain about. :D

24. 2racer

2racer

the links at the top are called a navigation menu....make your selection

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well, for what its worth, I for one completely agree with Ryan and the direction he's taking the HAMB. I have known since I was a teenager that nostalgia was huge to me, and seeing the new focus has given me new focus as well.
    I already know my build is not "hard core traditional".
    IF I had the bucks, and were to start my build today, it would be an "absolute, as perfect as my research and wallet would allow" absolute clone of Uncle Ray's roadster in January 1955.
    But I dont have that luxury, so it will remain on the fringe for the time being. But one thing is for sure, there will be changes, changes that I didnt foresee, or had planned on, maybe not big ones, but this "FOCUS" has allowed some nostalgia to show up that I hadnt seen in quite some time. I actually really like the new breakdowns, I spend a lot of time here, prob too much, dont know how I missed so many great builds but I had. The new breakdowns arent letting some of those builds get lost in the HAMB shuffle.
    Again...great stuff guys!!

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Back on day one when I first arrived here I got the overall feeling the HAMB was like a garage, with an open door. The lights were on and guys were working on a car. I walked up the drive, said hello, introduced myself and was welcomed. That garage is is still there, but on either side there is a 6 foot high fence and a small door that is open too, but over each door is a sign, Hot Rod and Custom. You're welcome there too, but you only see one type of car. Bob

27. Screw it, If the top is chopped and it has 3 pedals I don't care what bay it is in.:cool:

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

pork, twas a joke. a lot of my post are valuelass. not all, but many. this was one. do you think i could stop people from doing that? i was a joke.:cool:

29. Can hardly wait for all the new stuff to take place. I like the Ala Kart menu

Maybe you can call the General area "the T.W.A.T" (traditional with a twist) Maybe some cool t shirts for the guys that prefer that area of the board :D

Thanks again for taking care of EVERYBODY!!!!

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Ok, Here's what I learned about myself. I mostly come here and do searches for things of interest to me. The volume here has always been a problem for me. I'm a slow reader. I subscribe to threads I like. I check them first, then maybe go to the board. So if the search feature could be made to search all areas the changes would not affect me at all. So far better than I thought.