Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Black Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rokkett77, Sep 8, 2013.

1. So, does anyone out there know what the going rate for a set of vintage CA black plates is these days? I need to know how big of a schmuck I am for not grabbing a few sets today. I went to the Hydromatic show today and there was a guy in the swap meet area that had a box full of these things.
    Thanks Guys.

2. Swifster

Swifster

Not worth much unless you have a matched set.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Weekly swap meet in New Milford, Ct. had a set this morning with 63 if my memory is correct stamped in the sticker area. Nice black with yellow letters, $425.00 seamed high to me, but what do I know? Bob

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the condition, and which black plates. '63 black plates versus '29 Pneumatic Commercial black plates, big difference.

5. Most of them were matching I think. The guy wanted $15 a piece

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are matched pairs, go buy them all!

7. The lesson learned here is ALWAYS take more than $20 to a swap meet whether you can afford it or not. The plates were the '63 style but were a bit beat up but nothing too bad. I just need to figure out where my step- dad put his old CA black and 70s blue plates at. Those were mint and matching sets.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

am i retarded? what plates are you talking about? pics?

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just took me about five relist's to sell an NOS 1963 Kentucky tag for $25.00 on eBay.

10. waterhorse

waterhorse

California license plates, black background with yellow lettering from the 1960s.

11. I paid a buck and a half for mine!!

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

$425.00? The guys still asleep because he's definitely dreaming.
    The going price for a set of black plates that are DMV clear is around $100. It addition to the black plate you also need the correct year registration sticker to go along with the plates, unless your car is a 63.

13. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

A guy in Connecticut was selling California plates for $425? Cant see much of a market for them there that would warrant such a high price.

14. Seems pretty high for CA plates at a CT swap.

15. Check out oldpl8s.com He has a nice set of '63 black plates for $325.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

17. daddio211

daddio211

18. Are people actually paying those amounts for those plates? If so, then Holy crap.

19. Well, if they are, I had better break out all of the sets I have from living there and sell!

20. Veronyn

Veronyn
    from kansas

Those plates are sharp, you should have grabbed them for $15. Maybe he will be back again next week, or however often you have the swap meets. Usually you get guys just trying to get rid of stuff anyway. Man, what a shoulda woulda coulda moment :)

21. 1EvilPaul

1EvilPaul

Hey man if there MINT and mean a lot to you. Pay the $400 to $600 range. If you were to find ones elsewhere, the plates are not in those price ranges. Its because there California plates.

22. amadeus

amadeus

probably not much now that CA DMV is reproducing them...
    Unless of course you have to have Original Plates. ..

CA Legacy Plates

<CITE>www.[B]dmv[/B].ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm</CITE>&#8206;

CA Legacy Plates Landing Page. ... CA Legacy Plates. Order your Vintage License plate today. row of legacy plates with total applications approved. Legislation ... The DMV is accepting pre-orders until January 1, 2015. A pre-order form ...

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

You live in Toledo and yet you say: "Holy crap"?!? :confused: How many chances a day do you have the opportunity to yell "HOLY TOLEDO!!!!" ?????? :eek:

24. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Sets are worth nothing if not DMV cleared

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

26. Lol. Not nearly as often as one would think. When we do, its usually after we nail a crater of a pothole and is followed by some kind of expletive.

27. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Mine aren't Cali tags. but I bought a set of 1967 Texas plates for my Camaro for $13......

28. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

I paid $500ish for near perfect pair of '51 California plates (black with fat yellow digits). They are 5 digit and when I saw them they were a must-have. For a pair of '62 plates (yellow with skinny black digits) still in their envelope with a super clean '62 sticker, I paid $300somptin'. Those were also a must have because they had XYZ on them. Both sets are in service on my rides and look super cool. I know it sounds really expensive but if you need them, might as well get nice ones.
    Michael

29. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

That's assuming that program goes.... It's like two years out isn't it?