Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Lasalle Pre War Custom Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by pushrod_mike, Sep 3, 2013.

1. One more vote for no chop. They are beautiful cars as is and yours is a well-preserved
    example!

2. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

Do not chop clean and sexy just the way cadillac made it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Harley Earl would smack you if he could if you Chop it.Subtle is the way to go with that beauty.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the masses have spoken...

don't chop it Mike

5. My vote is for the 2 inch chop, but ya' gotta' hardtop it too ( 'ala '40 Merc style) Rear tuck in roofline is very similar to the Merc, and I figure if somebody took an expensive car like a La Salle in to get 'whacked' back in the day, they woulda' had the bucks for some fairly radical work. That centre pillar is just way too heavy to leave alone...;)

Bear:)

6. noted1017

noted1017

My vote no chop, this are beautiful and cool cars. Good looking project. I will be following this one.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

7. TRuss

TRuss

There's no doubt that a proper chop would look great. And if it were 194- I would have no problem doing that. But, in 2013 I would have a hard time making the decision to chop what appears to be a very nice car. It's your car though and you should do with it as you wish. As long as it looks good you'll hear no ill remarks from me whatever you choose.

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Not true, he wanted the roofs to be lower but they had to make them higher to make room for the hats that were in style at the time...

[​IMG]

Beautiful car man!! I can't wait to see it raised up a bit in the front. I really want to build a pre-war styled custom someday.

9. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Definately a nice modest chop would make the car stand out. See the great job done on the Tim Kirkegaard Merc http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740119&highlight=kirkegaard+merc

It needs to be slightly lower in the back, so the back is lower than the front. If you are concerned about what car you are building on and afraid to modify the car just because it is more rare in 2013 than 1940, then do not try to build a traditional pre war custom. At that time, they had another way of looking at these cars. And that is the way they should be built to make them traditional.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Amen to that.

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Awesome looking car would look good if it was chopped tastefully, but looks good now as well, I'd probably lower the back a tiny bit more, even though the smaller tires will make it lower the bigger tires fill in the wheel arches better and make it look lower.... Just my 2c

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

I agree! Harley Earl was always fighting execs to make cars lower and sleeker. They were too conservative and married to "the way it's done."
    He probably started out with the roofline a couple inches lower and had to raise it to that level to make everyone else happy.

13. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

I think I will wait on the chop. What do you guys think of the hubcaps? Better with flippers?

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

nope.

maybe some 50's Cadillac wheel covers?

15. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Great work to not even read the title of the thread you are posting in. 50's Cadillac hubcaps on a pre war build? Pleeeeze...

Yes, flippers look great. You can also use smooth flippers without the bar in the middle.

[​IMG]

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

are flipper caps "pre-war"?

17. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Pre-war as in pre-WWII - Yes.

Link Paola 1940 Ford (ready late 1939)
    [​IMG]

Eldon Gibson 1940 Olds in 1941.
    [​IMG]

31Truckster likes this.
  19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

20. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

2-inch chop...

21. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

If you find tires with almost the same width of whitewall and the same appearance on both 700-16 as the 600 och 650-16 versions, then you could consider using smaller tires only in the back. Since you will be using fenderskirts covering half the tire side and they look very similar, you can maybe bring the car down in the rear an inch at least. Plus get more room in the wheel well when lowering the suspension. I know some very known cars that have done this and you don't notice.

Just a thought.

22. Beautiful car. I couldn´t resist having a play...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I´d do this...
    [​IMG]

23. Wow James D. perfect examples of how a chop would improve the looks of that car immensely.

24. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Man now I really want to chop it. Thanks James. The 3 window is wild. That would be really nice. I may have to do it.

25. elturo

elturo
    from So. Okla

The 3 window is the way to go for sure. Do it fool. The pool can wait!!

btw.. awesome photos James D

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you do it, go three window!

27. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

You are great at these photoshops...I vote for the three window version but maybe with a reshaped rear door edge so it's rounder???

28. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Exactly, please dont chop it... such cars like yours are museum quality pieces just the way the are.

Its beautiful, Such a nice car, Im quite jealous. :eek:

29. Thanks. Yeah, i wondered about that too. Wasn´t sure how much work the OP was up for and I try to keep these realistic and doable.:)

I´ll give it a go though.

30. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Who needs Photoshop? My 1940 LaSalle. 4" chop with keeping the post.......and Harley Earl did not slap me!

Attached Files: