Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new Hamb taught me something about myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Ever since the boss divided the board up into customs and trad rods I've discovered something about me.
    I'm really much more of a "customs guy" than a "rodder". I never really thought about it when the boards were combined. Now I hardly ever go to the hot rods side.
    Did anyone else just discover they really favor one over the other?

2. daddio211

daddio211

3. I have two mild customs but I go to the hot rod page more often.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It's only going to get better....stay tuned.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I am not sold on the idea yet either. I have to go to 3 sites to see what is posted. I like customs but don't go there much since seems to not be much happening there. Usually I just check in on the general site.

Neal

7. yes, I have not clicked on the custom page yet.

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I find myself reading the first page,then shooting to another board ,first page then to general board.then over again thinking im gonna miss something real good,as i do quite often the old way also.I can make it work though.they say when you get older you dont need as much sleep anyway.

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Example.

After I made the above post I went over to the custom side. Have not been over there for a week or so. There is a thread asking a question about merc fenders. I gave my two cents on it but the thread had not be active of three days. If that thread was on the general board, I would have seen it when it was being discussed. I am not concerned about the little that I can share with others but same thing can happen with those that have a wealth of knowledge to share and them not finding the threads to help with.

Neal

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I seem to gravitate to the General Discussion board first, then float between the 2 others.

Since things are getting divided, it would be nice to see "Car Show" Coverage with its own link. Besides the wealth of knowledge from this site, I canceled mag subscriptions because of the weekend coverage that people post.

11. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it. I don't go to the Customs area much, but do go to the GD and HR forums often.

13. I prefer the old setup but understand the custom guys have felt like the red headed stepchildren here for many years:D

I jest in good natured fun but there is some truth in that first line. Been posted many times over the years by the custom (with a C not a K so I don't have to pay George royalties:p) guys that there are far more hot rod threads than custom. :)

I like both myself.

14. stimpy

stimpy

by classifications I am not a "Tradtional" Hotrodder by there classification , but a Chicago Hot Rodder , making a older full bodied fendered car fast for racing with a different engine, big and littles no pie crust recaps , headers in a older body style retaining the stock look and painted , and not a custom guy as I am not into air bags, wide whites or lowering and the Bling of the customs and cutting up of cars to make them look different . so I stay out of there forums and stay in general .

15. I like it. Seeing lots of stuff I havent seen before. Personally I think the hot rod forum is already getting polluted with stuff that should be posted in general discussion...but that is just my opinion. I have hardly been in the general discussion forum at all.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. daddio211

daddio211

I guess I use the board differently than most. When I log in I go through my subscribed threads, then go to "New Posts" and can find most popular and new threads that interest me, then drill down into the custom and hot rod forums. By hitting the "New Posts" I see ALL entries including classifieds, hot rods, customs and general discussion.

Nobody seems to like change, but it works well for me. After reading the entire "focus" thread Ryan posted a few days ago I was amazed how many people felt alienated by the change. Really dumbfounded me.

Fellas, you must all know Ryan doesn't make changes for the sake of change. In my opinion it's necessary because of the traffic here, and the grey area topics that flood this place. I think it's nice to get into what really interests me.

Plus, Royal just told us it's going to get better!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Speaking of polluted....I was hoping that the dreaded" whats it worth" threads would be deleted as fast as the S-10 ones........not yet.:(

18. ElSupremo

ElSupremo

I like it so far. I'm more of a lurker, but I do like having the forums seperated. Easy to read and enjoy threads about whichever style I'm interested in at any moment.

This board moves fast. That's good because it means a lot of participation. But it means a 1st page thread can go to a 7th page thread quick because of a lot of 'nice car' type replies when everything is lumped together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Yup.

20. ZachB

ZachB

Not really sure where I stand yet. The 49-53 chevy cars in particular I like modding. The bodies but retaining the original look. For instance on my 49 fastback I would like to make the rear fenders a little wider. I want to find a newer vet drive train so I would be unable to spin my tires. I want to do a lot. I like rat rods, hot rods, and customs. If I had my way I would have the best of all worlds.

21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Honestly, I haven't really noticed. I always click on the "latest" tab and just go from there. The divisions seem like they'd be nice if I was only interested in one particular section.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. I love the emphasis on tradition instead of the minitruck threads.

23. I preferred to have everything thrown together in one place. Kinda like a smorgasbord, pick and choose what you like......

However it ends up, I'll still be here.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Split up? Wait...what?

25. don't like it. Feels like when the Andy Griffith show went color. I do like not reading about S10 swaps though.

26. I just go to New Posts! That is what I did most of the time anyway. I think it would be an improvement to get rid of the people that just use the site to sell. I am dealing with one now and what a lack of common courtesy. No reply to requests for tracking number etc. Sent instant payment on 8/27 on the 29th he tells me he has been busy and will send it right out asap. Well it is 9/08 and still no package. I have asked if it was sent and tracking number but no reply. He spends much time on here so I know he has gotten my messages plus I sent one email as well. Anyway my point being I bought a car off the HAMB recently with no issues. But the guy I bought it from does not use the site as a used car lot. I do think it will show up but I just do not treat people this way. Communication is key and if you do not have time to do it right don't do it at all. Needed to vent. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've learned so much from the custom-oriented threads, in the past, that I'll keep looking at them however (for me) it was nice to have it all in one forum. It'd be neat if the HAMB incorporated the vBulletin option of showing all new/updated threads of the three forums - together. I'd just look at it that way and then search like I usually do, too.

28. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Tradition is fine but why is it that mechanical, ie. engine, trans, drivline, threads seem to end up in the HotRod forum? Don't customs have engines etc? or are they supposed to be stock.
    Summary: don't much like it so far.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

If that thread had been in the old General Discussion, it would have been 8 pages deep in the first half hour, and you never would have known it existed. I like the results of this new experiment so far. It does require you bounce between forums to read what interests you, but the topics stay closer to the top of their relative forums so the chances of catching what interests me is greater. It's now a magazine that is easier to read, and I can prioritize what I read in the order it interests me.

30. papajohn

papajohn

I think it's a PITA.

I don't have time to skim three sites. I like hot rods and customs and gassers and just about everything on the HAMB except the drama and attitudes.

Maybe they should just have two sides to the HAMB. If you make a post on one, it automatically posts on both. Then they could moderate one version and let the other go wild. It would be interesting to see what would happen and which side had more followers.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.