Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1st build - '30 sedan/'32 chassis - UPDATE 11/12/13 PROJECT COMPLETE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskoolrodder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. thanks fellas... more photos of the inside coming soon...

2. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

excellent work, love all the detail. Really awesome job bringing it all together. The dash is killer!

3. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

your first build is great a lot better than some who have done dozens

4. Very nice, thank you very much... I put around 200 miles on it Saturday. First trip, had a significant oil leak, I think the culprit is a chrome steel oil pan. I roughed up the mating surface with my flapper wheel and changed the oil pan gasket. I then drove it about 60 miles and it seemed ok. Then this morning there was a puddle under the back right side under the starter. Other than fixing this mystery leak, finishing the interior, and getting an alignment, I think she is close to finished. As soon as our scattered rain showers leave I will get some updated pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O yeah... It rained like hell on my trip, no windows yet
    [​IMG]
    Spinning the air cleaners around before heading out in the rain
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Tim and quickrack-alan like this.
  5. ricco

ricco

Looks like fun, definately a ride to be proud of. I hope to be doing the same next year...except for the oil leak though!!!

6. Heck yeah! Turned out amazing...the photos don't do this car justice, every little detail was so absolutely perfect! Was good to see her out & in the rain!!

7. thanks man!! much appreciated... thanks for letting me steal your pic... :)

8. daddio211

daddio211

This car is so tastefully done! Not too much, not too little. All the right parts in all the right places!

9. thank you! much appreciated

10. Tell us which leak was worse, the mystery oil leak or the torrential water leak from lack of glass. Glad you guys made home from breakfast unscathed. Since ya'll suffered the most you can pick the spot for next months breakfast.

11. getting drowned was worse... ha ha

found my problem... I swapped SBC's half way thru this project and I had researched the info on the first motor and bought the oil pan gasket for that first motor. Turns out the motor in the car now is a '70-'73 not a '77. So, the oil pan gasket was to large around the back radius. All fixed now... bring on the rain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ZRsuOx2DM

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  12. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

This is an amazing build. Love the color stance and just the overall look. Also good to see others in katy building hot rods.

13. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

To me, this is exactly right. You built it yourself, you didn't do a 1-800 rod, and you drive it. AWESOME

14. thanks guys...

well, I have about 300 miles on her now and it looks like all the leaks and tuning are done. I still need to align the front end. I got my sound deadener yesterday so I can start on interior soon. Here are a couple of pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very cool! Nice job.

16. thank you!

17. skitzo13

skitzo13
    from SoCal

That's a really nice dash

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. baker53

baker53

Great build site Mark. Excellent design and fabrication.

19. Thank you! And thank you for all your continuing help!! It is very much appreciated.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

21. Wow The last set of pics really tells the story. Many long nights in the garage eating chinese food. Good stuff.

V

22. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Can't wait to see the finished interior! Exterior is Bitchin'! :)

23. Really turned out great!

24. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

It sure looks great...

25. thanks fellas! turns out my 16 gallon tank is actually a 14 gallon tank, ran her smooth out of gas this morning... first embarrassing f@# up out of the way...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  26. update... I don't really have any new interior pics to share with you guys, I have been trying to drive it and work all the bugs out. My biggest problem to date happened last Saturday night. An area I didn't do enough research on was my rear coil overs. I had the lower shock mounts located to far out resulting in my shock angle being to shallow. I was leaving a local hotrod get together and as I went over a railroad track bam! the back left of the car dropped and a God awful noise started coming from the backend of the car. My coil over top mount literally sheared off at the weld. After getting it back to the house I removed the lower shock mounts, ordered replacement shock parts and new hangers and got to welding. Now they are at 20 degrees. Hopefully this will not happen again. I plan on re painting this evening. I should have the interior finished real soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. daddio211

daddio211

28. boz

boz
    from illinois

I've been lurking here for quite some time now, & I just stumbled upon your thread today! WOWZA!!!! I can't believe this is your first build......... It would put a LOT of veterans to shame! The car is "gorgeous"......... (hard to find a word to describe!!) Sure hope I can see it in person sometime ..... ENJOY it!!
    & yu can bet I'll be watching for "updates"!!!

boz

29. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Love the fuel lines ! Superb metal work also.........

30. Thanks guys