Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustom or Hotrod? Question for You California Folks!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Here's a crazy one for you. In the not too distant future my family and I will be moving back to California. I've ridden my Harley there, but never a classic older car. I currently drive the wheels off my Model A here in the mid-west, but am wondering just how practical it'll be out there.
    So I'm considering trading it for an early 50's Ford or Chevy, and am wondering what you all think.
    I appreciate any input-thank you!:D

2. tragic59

tragic59

Where are you going in Cali?

Some places in Cali are probably the best places in the world to drive a hot rod. Others, maybe not...

But if you can drive the wheels off of it in Iowa, you should be able to drive it anywhere in Cali.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whichever one you are likely to drive more. And yes, it depends on where in California. Truckee and Los Angeles would not have the same operating conditions.

4. Model T1

Model T1

I am on the third coast of Kalifornification. What are you thinking, moving back out there?
    On the other hand to answer your question, California has always been the hotrod capitol of the world. One more Model A shouldn't hurt the traffic flow out there. If you survived on two wheels four should be a breeze.
    Besides a 50's Ford or Chevy ain't gonna be any better...or worse.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I drive this in Central CA. South of Fresno.

Attached Files:

7. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

how long has it been since youve been here? the roads have been paved for a while now

8. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Haaaa-funny!!!

9. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I moved here from Brea, 7 years ago. We're moving back to the Huntington Beach area as it looks right now. Do you hot rodders run open headers? Do the cops fuck with your gig a lot? Can't help noticing how laid back and relaxed kustom owners look on the coast, in the cities as well.

10. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Born and raised here, all the idiots that drive around LA are not from here. My advise to you is to avoid hot days if you can help it, not because of the weather, but because the traffic. It's getting worse here so it's tough to enjoy a cruise around Hollywood or downtown without stop n go. It's been 102 outside so today is a good example.
    Get good insurance!! You can easily expect hit and runs. Been happening to people I know all the time. Or dings and dents from a parking lot. I could park in the middle of the Mohave desert, leave to find the nearest grocery store, and return to find some POS parked next to me with a paint chip missing from my fender or door. It's quite a phenomenon. Which is why I carry my ping hammer in the trunk.
    It's not really too bad, but these things can be expected in a overcrowded city.
    There are good shows still happening and weekly cruise nights.
    PM me when your back. I'll meet up with ya!

11. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

That's what I'm talking about. Little things like that to know what to expect. And I think I used to go to a U-Pick Part in Sunland, or do I have that wrong?
    Thanks man!

12. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Yes that junkyard is still around. Memory lane moved somewhere else

13. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Daily drove my 28 roadster down here in San Diego. Now that my shoebox is done I am driving that as well.

People out here are inconsiderate and flat out inattentive when driving. Expect to be cutoff by people who don't look. Local cops do not give me any headache over running my car with what amounts to open headers. If you buy a house in a HOA zone your going to get the book thrown at you though.

All in all its not the end of the world but make sure your brakes and suspension are decent for whats to come.

14. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Again, that's the type of input I'm looking for-THANKS!

15. RR496

RR496

Keep the Model A, you'll fit in perfect with the rest of us! Lol

16. Contrary to some folks ideas about California, we don't all live in big crowded cities. Most of it is still rural and semi-rural. It's hard to generalize because depending on where you are in Cali, the weather, climate, population density, and driving conditions are completely different.

In most places, you're gonna love driving your roadster.

17. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I am starting to lean toward keeping the hot rod-and ya-I WISH it was a roadster!

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

Location, location, location... I live in Northern California - the foothills just below Lake Tahoe. All the roads have been or are being paved with a huge insurgence of obamabucks and though our grandkids grandkids will be paying for it all, the roads are becoming nicer and nicer to drive on. I've always liked the beach, but can't stand the SoCal attitude or traffic.

That said, I don't think it'll make a difference which car you decide on.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you originally moved from Brea and are now considering the Huntington Beach area, you already understand the whole Orange County - Southern California deal. Loud pipes aren't too much of a concern unless you end up with shitty neighbors, but that can happen in any state. Unless you have a ton of small kids and need the seats, I'd keep the hotrod ...

20. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

I need to ad. Get a physical title for your car if at all possible. The DMV registration experience will be a breeze if you have one. If you come from a state without classic car titles it can get confusing fast.

Forgot to add, I have ply piecut tires and its a experience trying to keep the car straight with all the roads with siping cuts. Especially on the 405/5 freeways around where you are moving.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why not bookmark the website of the location you're considering moving to. Most big news stations have a website and it'll have the traffic reports and daily news. You'll be able to see traffic trends as well as the crime blotter.

22. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Damn good idea!!

23. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

As far as Northern Cal, man I'd be arrested! I'm a bit too conservative! But ya see these insights/pearls are exactly what I'm looking for:)
    Oh, and my rod has a bonded Iowa title and personalized plates. Is that going to be a mess too?????

24. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

I say bring it out drive the wheels off of it. There is plenty of us out in so cal to meet up and cruise lots of shows to. I say keep the the hotrod. I love 50s and kustom cars but man being in a hotrod is like no other feeling. I plan on building 1 soon

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

We have awesome car shows now here in the mid-west, but I REALLY miss the Cali ones! I always promised myself I would drive a classic car to them one day:)

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

I know there are good points and bad points for both NorCal and SoCal...always have been. I love Northern California simply because it seems that the pace isn't as breakneck as it is down south. The traffic also isn't nearly as crazy as the San Diego / LA area unless you are in the bay area, which personally, I cannot stand. The northern California foothills are pretty hard to beat, with the tall pines, green landscapes, overabundant recreation, blue skies, fresh air, small town atmospheres where people are still civil to each other and looks and money aren't as much of a concern...it's hard to beat. A couple downsides are: cold and wet winters, not as many bikini watching opportunities, and a few less job opportunities.

I'm sure SoCal folks will chime in and put me "in my place", but I've had far too many southern Californians comment on how beautiful the area is, how nice the people are and how clean the air is...

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No shit. Took vacation this summer wandering from Placerville to Mt. Lassen via the hills. Road crews everywhere.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

It's been crazy, new roads in every direction...road crews everywhere.

29. Muttley

Muttley

Just in case you were wondering, the Fresno area sucks just as bad, if not worse than it did before you left.

30. k9racer

k9racer

Many coupes have met the fate of becoming a roadster.. All it takes is a Sawzall But on the serious side no mater where you buy or live watch out for the Home Owners Association these people get a little power and go crazy. Good luck on your move and have a safe journey.... Bobby..