Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

1. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

2. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks again brother!

Thanks Wes! The biggest key for a "big guy" fitting in any hot rod is seating position. Since the T's don't have a lot of room the next thing to do is move the bottom of the toe board forward, giving your heels an additional 3" to 4". I like sitting on the floor with my legs straight out, so this will be fine for me. If you like having your feet lower than your butt I don't think a T will work well for you... unless you like sitting ON one rather than IN one, LOL.

Of course the A is slightly bigger inside, but not much. I had a '31 A Tudor so I can't give you much advice in comparison, sorry.

If you run a deuce chassis and construct it carefully you could build your whole floor down inside the frame an additional 2" without losing anything else. Originally this was my plan but I thought it'd be out of my reach financially to do such a custom build. Looking back at what Bob's done with a completely scratch built chassis it wouldn't have cost any more or been any more work to do that. I dig T's on deuce rails (hell, I dig ANYTHING on deuce rails!) but I wanted more of a high-end-home-built kind of style for this car, and Bob builds really cool stuff!

Thank you sir!

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just caught up with the build and waiting for more :)

4. daddio211

daddio211

5. daddio211

daddio211

Lack of updates, but no lack of progress. I stopped by Bob's a few days ago but didn't take any pictures. Although he's clicking away it would look like more of the same.

The chassis is in yet another stage of primer with little spots of glazing putty here and there. Of course I show up in work clothes (Dockers, dark blue button down shirt, black leather dress shoes) but knowing I had a little more than an hour I started helping sand. Primer dust everywhere, but I don't mind. Hell, I'll climb an attic like that. You just do what has to be done, right? Besides, sanding dust is like roadster hair: who cares what it looks like if you're having fun?

I've got to tell you, body work is something I have no skill for. Although I know the basics it's one of those things better left in someone else's hands. Knowing that (and making sure he did too) I sanded parts of the K member that would never be seen but took the time to do it right and focused on doing a good job. By the time my hour was up Bob had sanded the glazing putty on the front cross member, the passenger side K member, the rear cross member and was helping me on the driver's side K member. The good news is that I didn't create more work for him and my hour's worth of effort saved him about 5 minutes. LOL, oh well. I can now say I "helped" with body work on the chassis. :rolleyes:

Of course Bob isn't done yet. He wants the whole thing to look like it was poured out of a mold once its painted. We talked about it being "too smooth" and straying away from hot rod into street rod territory, he assured me that the level of detail wouldn't detract from the overall project, and that I wouldn't regret the effort put in. I don't disagree.

Funny thing about this car. I mentioned earlier I was never much of a T guy, I've always loved A's and newer. I bought it fully intent on throwing it together to sell it with the intent of buying a nice glass N&N (or equivalent) '32 3 window body. I never imagined it would be a car I would fall in love with, but here I am. The 3 window will have to wait!

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

6. Not much for body work myself although I can get by. I want the A perfect so a pro is doing it.

I know what you mean about the falling in love part. I was a die hard "Fridge" guy and bought the Uni only because it looked "slicker". I've really grown to love that body style.

Can't wait to see your frame painted! :D

7. I wasn't much of a T guy either until two years ago. I was looking at building a glass 32 roadster Vic Edelbrock style to replace my steel 32 roadster project I sold in 83 when I came upon my RPU less motor and box on Trade Me (like Craigs List) and now im in love with them too.You can get so much more bang for your buck with a T. End of the day im also still a stock Willys Guy.Look forward (as always) to your updates and pics. JW :)

8. Ozzie

Ozzie

very very nice build!

9. daddio211

daddio211

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

10. Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEJGNLTo84

P.S. - This does not mean I'm smarter than you! :D

11. With that in mind, I like the body color combo, but with the radius rods in black, or chrome to match the headers.

12. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for posting the link. I keep imagining a longer ramp, pointed skyward, and JB welding a few fins on the tank for stability... LOL. Could be a lot of fun! :D

The chassis is definitely getting painted the deep maroon. I still haven't done another colored rendition, but it's likely the bones (front and rear) will be gloss black.

Of course, I keep thinking of just painting EVERYTHING maroon, but I fear too much of one color might be encroaching on the dreaded street rod look. I think a little gloss black will help break up some of the monotony... ehhh, guess I better get my markers out again!

13. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

I think sticking to black will be a necessity if you have a maroon frame.

If you are bored I need to have a sketch done for my roadster too ;)

14. Yeah, and I need a sketch of a '29 RPU... Just a pen outline that I can color in....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

15. daddio211

daddio211

LOL, thanks fellas. If I had the time I'd do it for ya both, believe me!

Stopped by Bob's today. He's going to spot in a few last areas and shoot red oxide on I in the next few days. Two more coats of red oxide and it'll be ready for paint! I shot a 45 second video today, but I'll have to post it tomorrow. Wife says its movie time!

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

16. [​IMG]
    Anyone know who's car this is?

17. I really like the look of the axle up front and the spring tucked away. You are giving me some good ideas.

18. daddio211

daddio211

I don't know who's, but I believe he's a member here. I know its been featured in a dozen magazines and I've seen his name associated with the car 100 times. He's "back east" somewhere I think. Y-block powered coolness! :)

And thanks man, I've been influenced by lots of cars over the years and I'm flattered that I may influence another!

19. daddio211

daddio211

And now for the short (shitty) video I promised. Be forewarned, there is nothing great about my videography skills, composition, sound, lighting, etc! Just a quick overview of the chassis in primer, a shot of Bob, and a plug for his killer videos that so many of you already have!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NhzlLhf4W5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Looks killer brother.

21. daddio211

daddio211

22. Your videoing was.....ok ....but the subject was FANTASTIC. Can't wait for more. JW :)

23. Smooootthh!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys! I'm pretty damned excited! :)

25. Yeah I have not been down your way for way to long see what I can do in the next month.

26. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Worked on my iPad .

27. daddio211

daddio211

28. daddio211

daddio211

I posted this pic back on page 1:
    [​IMG]

It was a build thread that I grabbed the pic from, but I've lost track of it. A fellow HAMB brother is asking about it. Can someone tell us where to find it again?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  29. Would like to see how it looks now !! JW

30. daddio211

daddio211

Me too!

Well, an email is going out to my car club this weekend. Originally I titled it WET STRIPPER PARTY but thought that might give a few of the old guys a heart attack. So instead I'm titling it HOT ROD ARCHEOLOGY EXPEDITION.

My good buddy Todd, his brother and dad will be doing another "wet blasting" demo this weekend. The subject, of course, is the roadster body.

I'm a little nervous to think what we'll find under the paint... or what we won't. Regardless, the body is getting stripped and treated this weekend then will sit around for a month or so until Bob begins body work. WISH ME LUCK!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383