Register now to get rid of these ads!

driving your hot rod to work in the morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Sep 5, 2013.

1. gregga

gregga

Every day is the hot rod to work day. Have screen shots from Google earth of my cars parked at both jobs and in front of the house. The white stuff under the coupe is a layer of ice.

Attached Files:

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking us along on your ride to the job. I enjoyed that.

Now...do we have to work too?...lol.

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

very nice! you sir are def hard core. :)

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378393744.985519.jpg
    Today

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

when i had my bike (custom shovelhead), me and my neighbor(he has a old impala) would plan it together and fire them up at 0500....in our culve de sac and wake up the world it seemed. But so worth it.
    next month it will be with my 30 coupe...same smile but without the helmet

6. Rocket88

Rocket88

I usually drive mine to work on Fridays, a treat at the end of the work week.

Attached Files:

7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I use to know someone living in Yucaipa on Juniper, very nice place, got very big in the last 30 years, 1 of my old Bosses was raised in Beaumont too...

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Amen to that. Got out of bed 40 minutes early to drive the pickup to work today.

This morning a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel saw me turning onto the on-ramp (from a dead stop) and he punched it to get ahead of me before the two lanes turned to one. I had to wind it out because he had a 55mph head start and it was a steep uphill climb. I'm guessing he didn't want to be behind a "slow" pickup, but I definitely didn't want to be behind a smoking diesel for the next 20 miles. Guess who ended up ahead. :D Nothing like a little excitement to get the blood flowing in the morning.

I agree about the drive to work, sun coming up, cool air, everyone cruising along at decent speed, motor humming, exhaust notes making sweet music...some moments make all the rest worth it.

9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I drive mine every nice day i can....last week got caught in a sun shower...20 something miles one way...

10. britishink

britishink

Rumbling through the streets of Capitol Hill is always fun as I drive to work, the car alarms going off as I pass. Washington DC doesn't have but a handful of classic cars and only two or three hot rods so my 49 Chrysler is a head turner and the 455 get's 'em looking as I approach.
    There's nothing like a hot rod parked in front of the tattoo studio. Everyone on the street knows it's mine "that crazy white boy's tearing up the neighborhood again..." and every stop sign or red light..."What year is that?" or my favorite...simply..."Wow'.
    I pass a couple of schools too and I always smile and wave at the children knowing that this may be the day another gearhead was born as they saw and heard something so totally removed from what their concept of car is and the huge grins on their faces say they like it.

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Where the hell is Yucpia

12. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Taking the shoebox in tomorrow then picking the wife up for lunch. Without the release from the cubical farm I think I would go nuts.

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I think he meant to say Yucaipa, it's between Redlands and Beaumont.

Wish I could still enjoy driving something old out here, unless it's when most of society is in bed getting ready for their 8-5 it's rare when you can actually enjoy driving anything out here.

14. I'm only 10miles from work and I go the same way everyday,get gas at the same station,coffee at the same place,so i've made many friends just by seeing them daily. When I drove the Merc everyday,I got honked at and thumbs up,often. The '38 didn't get much attention. The orange and green Buick got lots of looks. The '60 pick-up didn't really get noticed until I striped it. Now I get asked "what year is that?" Haven't driven anything newer than 1949 for at least 12yrs,except the Buick.
    Working on a project now that will get plenty of attention. Gonna try to be done next summer.
    I drive down the road and never see anything old...The ocasional 70's chevy Pick-up,but nothing pre-50. Only on the weekends and mostly near the beach. Saw a chopped '51 Merc on the way home one day,and almost wrecked trying to catch up to talk to him. Never saw it again. Primered,heading to a painter...

15. I drive my roadster when I can. 22 miles one way on 2 lane state highway or country roads, depends on how I feel. Right now road contruction has halted it. Too many cars bunched up on the way in.
    The feeling lasts all day. I have ball cap hair and smell like exhaust and oil. The smile on my face lasts most of the day. As soon as my shift is over , that feeling comes back. Usually take the long way home.

16. eddie1

eddie1

Weather permitting I try & drive mine to work once a week usually on Friday. It's 20 miles each way & other than an 8 block stretch I go against the flow of rush hour traffic.The parking lot stills shows the marks of the burn out from 2 weeks ago.

17. n847

n847

I try to drive my car to work as often as I have money to keep gas in a 3rd car! I've found lately that driving at sunrise and sunset is a very out of body experience...everything else goes away! All you care about is the small amout you can see from your headlights and the sounds an old car make!
    It's also fun to have half the plant come up to you over the next week or so and ask you about it! Some times I set out in the smoke shack at break by myself just to listen to the people who dont know who's car it is talk about it...some negatives but mostly positive. Number one question so are you about to paint it?!

Attached Files:

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

I love it! I try to do it every friday. Right now in the summer it's nice in the morning, but by the time I get off work and at lunchtime it's about 100°. Nice having no A/C!

Sitting in traffic in the dead of summer, I really see how overdesigned the cooling system is on the old jimmy V6!

19. Murch

Murch

I live in Yucaipa, driving to L.A. in the morning for work is a 3 hour affair, or longer sometimes, unless you leave before 5 a.m., I did it for awhile, definitely think it would be a better drive if I had a hot rod or old pickup to drive, if anything just so you could put it in neutral and rev it, so the loud pipes would hopefully scare the a holes that ride your bumper into backing off, so I know what you mean. Murch.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's fun, but it's rarely stress free. Just Tuesday, I was running errands and planned on taking my T Bucket to welding class. At one intersection, the drivers to both my left and right were texting, but I was still going to drive my T to classes.

Then, further up the road, a car in the left lane was doing 5 mph below the limit, when I tried to go around, the bitch sped up. I could see her looking to see where I was. She was deliberately not going to let me get by her.

When I finally punched it and got around her, I gave her the one finger salute and made it home. Took the beater to school instead. Funny, she's the type that can't understand why some people get shot in road rage incidents.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't. Insurance company forbids it.

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

You have explained the unexplainable, very well said, until that day comes and you do drive your hot rod to work, you will never understand the excitement.

Godspeed
    MrC.

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

They will get over it.. Be careful

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In an accident? No, they won't, but the coverage will be over. He was probably being sarcastic.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My son lives 400 miles away and told me he was in a local bar shooting the shit with a stranger when he found out the other guy lived one town away from me.
    He asked him if he knows me, told him he's an old dude white ponytail always in dirty work jeans, dude said, no I don't think I do.
    My son added, drives a chopped & slammed 49 Merc. ?
    Dude replied Ya I know him, only car I ever seen him in, is that primer sled.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

SIMPLE fix: You had to drive it to work so that you could bring it by the parts store at lunch to match up a needed part.

27. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Once a year, our facility holds an official car show during lunch.

Problem Solved.

28. outlaw57

outlaw57

plus it makes the drive home that much more sweeter

29. i drove my 31 chrysler hemi powered coupe to work yesterday. its about 20 miles each way. i was doing a last minute check out drive before i take it to drag week. thats 1500 miles of driving and racing in five days. the view looking out the windshield never gets old.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drove the "Pulp Friction" to work yesterday. I wasn't planning on it but walking to the garage it was such a beautiful morning, quiet and peaceful (someone had to do something to stir it up!) LOL! What a great morning!