Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that car is glass?? ive seen several pics of that car online and thats one if my favorite 33-34 coupes! nicely done

2. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Yup sure is. Here is a before shot of it. A few little tricks done to make it look more metal like. Its a perfect driver type car.

Attached Files:

3. eightbanger

eightbanger

That is one nice view in the garage!

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I got my front cross member from Chris today. Very happy with it. I'm missing the drivers side radiator support gusset... So if anyone has a spare laying around.... Decided I didn't like the grill at all, so it's leaving . Ill find an original.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376793402.524679.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376793420.782304.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376793431.970297.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Installed .

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376842677.739776.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376842688.297377.jpg

6. Weasel

Weasel

Good call on the grille - find a real one - even if a little beat up they can be fixed - and it will give the car a LOT more authenticity....

7. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Hate to hear you are grill shopping too. More competition as I am too. My original is a little rough and after a $2500 re-chroming charge , I guess I will just buy a repop. I am waiting for pics of how your hinges turned out. Cross member looks nice, heck this whole build has me wanting to build a glass roadster with my leftover parts.

Attached Files:

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Sell that grill to me:) I wanna paint mine to match.. I hate chrome ...
    Let me know !

I chopped my windshield frame down and got it fit... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376852796.426389.jpg

9. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

you don't want this one, it's a lot rougher than the pic I posted. Seems like a paintable one will run you aroun 600 bucks. I plan to weld and straighten on this one just because it came on my car. Saw one in Louisville at the swap meet that wasn't all that bad for 400. Will keep my eyes out for a good paintable one for you. Now let's see those hinges"....

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376862828.395264.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376862865.567041.jpg
    They are no where near done . But the door opens and closes square and doesn't bind . And I have counter sink bolts for them also.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Scored a drivers side rad mount today... Man I love the HAMB... Thanks alot Jeff! Appreciate the heck out of it.

I started building the inner structure for the seat and dash area.. Some helpful photos from other guys builds have really come into play. I will get most of t welded up tomorrow and see how it looks and functions .

12. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

u are on fire--good attitude

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Some of the inside structure got fabbed today. I have all the bars to line the truck and attach to frame. I woulda had it mostly done but it seems I keep forgetting that welding gas doesn't last forever! Damnit. So tomorrow is anther day. I should have it all fit and finish welded . Then I can get the dash board bolted in and trimmed down. The. It's on to the dreaded doors

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Some of the inside structure got fabbed today. I have all the bars to line the truck and attach to frame. I woulda had it mostly done but it seems I keep forgetting that welding gas doesn't last forever! Damnit. So tomorrow is anther day. I should have it all fit and finish welded . Then I can get the dash board bolted in and trimmed down. The. It's on to the dreaded doors
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376953172.531599.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376953200.741664.jpg

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Maybe I missed it,... But how do you plan on hanging your doors?, What process ?,... Because if it hasn't been covered, A old pal and did it before and we had a pretty good way of doing it. IMHO

16. pastorbc

pastorbc
    from kentucky

just a note to thank you for putting the Scripture & note on your post. keep up the good work!

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I wanted to build the inner frame of the car so the doors had support to bolt to.... I temporarily bolted them to a plate I made inside the door jam .. But please , any opinions are greatly appreciated ... This is my first time with anything of this nature...
    Thanks

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well the thanks to a fellow hamber I got my rad mounts today.. I placed an add looking for a drivers side ... A gentlemen mailed me both sides and refused payment...

This is what hotrodding to me is all about.. For the last year I have mailed free fabricated/plasma cut parts to a guy in North Carolina who is doing an AV8 sedan. Why?? Cause he really needed them. He was kinda stuck in a hard spot and I really wanted to see him get his car done, So I did what I could for him and refused payment... I think he was really mad at first but he got used to the fact there was nothing he could do to get me to accept payment...

Anyways... Just wanted to say that thanks Jeff for the mounts! It's appreciated !

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377116970.077345.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  19. haag i dont know if you looked at his thread or not. but langy is building a fiberglass willys. the link here shows him mounting the doors. the frame he made for the firewall that everything is tied to is shown earlier in the (104 pg) thread. there might be some ideas you could "borrow".

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572303&page=22

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i just red 104 pages.... jesus.... what a build.. excellent top not glass work and fabrication.

lots of ideas. i have the door frames about fabbed. the window channel and cranks has me puzzled on what to use... because i have non of that stuff yet ...

21. Mart

Mart

On my glass 34 I made the window channels up. I used 19mm (3/4") square tube with a 1mm wall (might have been .065", not sure). I cut one wall off on the bandsaw. (would use a thin disc cutter now). I then got some universal glass flexy channel (rubber/fuzzy felt composite) that fitted in the channel and could support 6mm glass. I made the channels first and then cut plywood templates to get a shape for the glass. I used rear door winders from and english ford prefect, I wouldn't expect you to use them, but just find something light and simple. The advantage of the ones I used was that they kept the gtlass level in the door as it went up and down. I think I used the channels off the corresponding english ford glass to match the regulators.

The beauty of using the steel channel was that I could weld little tabs on here and there and screw through to hold it in place.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  22. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I understand completely what you are doing and have no issue with the glass body what so ever. In fact, I too am a big 33-34 fan and also can't really afford the cost of a steel bodied car. About three months ago I acquired an older (1996) Fiberglass bodied car build. Was all together and had been taken apart for redo and update but didn't get back together. Price was within my budget, and now I am the owner of and Outlaw 1934 Ford chopped coupe setting on an original frame with SBC, TH350 and 9". More power to you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Pictures please!

24. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

hi thats cool.my 34 was fibergalaa a old anderson body.on a factory boxed frame.and ever body thoght it was real steel body car.good luck with yours.

25. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

26. Desert1957

Desert1957
    from Pa/Md

Your story is what I went through. Caught a deal years ago 34 Outlaw body on a Pete and Jake's frame. keep up the good work!

34 side view.jpg
    Desert

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

with the new rules should i not update this tread anymore do to the fiberglass shell.? just curious ryan,
    respectfully,
    ben

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Keep posting updates. It's a traditionally inspired car.

29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ok we'll the news is I am cheating this project a little bit.. A local veteran hot rod builder is going to do my doors for me.. He is really confident with fiberglass and fabrication. He says no problem at all. He will make em close and sound like steel. Or close to it . I picked up my new grill today also. I'm cheating on that too... I'm using a cockshutt tractor front end just like te rolling bones did. I fell in love with that car and with my background of tractors, it makes the car a little bit more meaningful from my past even. I will be working on the drivetrain while they have the shell of the car getting everything fixed for doors . This will be the time to really get the suspension set right and the brakes all rebuilt with the motor in place .. I'm stoked .. It's a relief having the help with the doors.

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

My new grill.. Lots of metal work to do. But it will be perfect! It will work well with the new steel hood and custom cut side panels
    Rolling bones style
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378425955.534390.jpg

My style, much work needed!! I will start cutting and trimming tomorrow
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378426023.566946.jpg