Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery Anglia

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Secktion8, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Secktion8

Secktion8

I'm looking to find any info on my Anglia or the name of the shop/team. I've had it for about 10 years now and have plans to start the build soon. it was purchased from a guy in Alexandria Virginia and don't have the guys name. I was told the last time it was raced was in 1963 but was told anglias weren't allowed to race until that year so not real sure if the info was correct. The lettering says it was tuned by Jay and the driver was Stan. G•M competition was the shop or team. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375831713.782953.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375831745.833071.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375831588.783539.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Bump.....Somebody has to know something.

3. Can't help with your car, but Anglia's raced many places early on. They just weren't legal in NHRA Gas Classes in the beginning (too short of wheelbase), then they were allowed but not blown, finally the NHRA gave in as other organizations were allowing them and many of the racers were cleaning up on the match race circuit.

4. Secktion8

Secktion8

Bump thank you guys

5. I'm in the Alexandria/Fairfax County, VA area- I'll ask some of the old-timers.....

6. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

I would check with Dave Hales or Fred Bear of the S&S Racing team from Va. Dave is on the HAMB.

7. Secktion8

Secktion8

I believe I spoke with Dave over the weekend about it. he told me about the HAMB group

8. Secktion8

Secktion8

bump?

9. No one is going to appreciate this but I am going to say it anyway. if you are having trouble finding any information on the car it is probably because it was not a significant car.

My advice and this is not going to be popular either is build it yourself the way you would if you were building your own race car and make your own history with it.

10. Secktion8

Secktion8

We know it's not a well known car but it is from our area and were kinda hoping someone recognizes it. we're going to build it but for now were just curious. thanks for your help

11. May have been built by Gaines & Marino in Hyattsville, Md. Can't say that for sure. Do a search for the Aquasco thread on here and post there. Someone may have seen or know something about the car. Good luck. Gaines and Marino operated a shop in the 60's t/a G&M Automotive Specialties if my memory serves me well (not likely).

12. brandon

brandon

bad thing about this day and age , a lot of stuff has been lettered up into "noticeable cars" ...anything can be made to look old and these days , Im skeptical about any barn find drag car....:D

13. If the car were built a long time ago, then it would be cool to find the history and restore it to as raced condition, whether it was "significant" or not.
    But I am skeptical - the lettering looks much newer than 1963. Also from what I can see there, I'm not even sure it was ever a race car. Could we see more pictures - roll bar? motor mounts? suspension? etc. to help venture an educated guess.

14. Try posting the pics on the Va. Social Group. Maybe some of those N. Va. guys will see it and remember it's history.

15. By the way, where are you and the car located now? Frankly your lack of an intro and pitiful profile page might make folks a little hesitant to give you much help on here. Just sayin'.

16. Secktion8

Secktion8

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry about my pitiful profile, but I don't plan on posting anymore of my info here. I'm simply looking for anyone that has any info about this car. I own it and don't care if it were a race car or not. I was told to check this group out and post it up. I am in Maryland and the car came from Virginia so if you don't live anywhere near hear or know no history about the cars in this area. I don't see any reason for you posting anything to my post. I've heard on more than one occasion that Gaines & Marino guys were probably the original owners and I'm happy with that. now I'd like to find a picture or two. thanks for your help and sorry for waisting the others time.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Like Hotroddin said, maybe a little more info, Can you tell what kind of engine ect..it had? Lippy

18. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Definately tell tail signs of a true drag car.
    Jay

19. I see the box you have shoehorned in there, what are you running? black and decker?

20. Like ?????

21. Secktion8

Secktion8

I don't have any more info. the car has a stock frame that has not been modified. stock front suspension and had no rear suspension. it was an original Right hand drive car from England.

22. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

the odd thing about this is the fact its not an Anglia but an English 'Popular'. A steel dash, gauges on the right hand side and rectangle side vents.

23. Secktion8

Secktion8

I don't see any signs of drag racing other than the paint. it was converted to left hand drive. the only way I know that is the steering box is in place.

24. Secktion8

Secktion8

thank you for clearing that up englishhemi

25. Secktion8

Secktion8

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378415617.244042.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378415756.222747.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378415794.905187.jpg

26. There is a chance that it was a sign/advertisement for a used car dealer or mechanic shop.

I have looked the pics over several times and am not seeing any race history, IE no roll bar, etc.

This is not to rain on your parade, just being honest.

27. Secktion8

Secktion8

thank you, but I'm not hoping for race history just trying to find out what G•M competition is and who the names on the car are. so there's no rain here. I was thinking the same thing as it being an advertisement, but there's no phone numbers or anything else. it might have been a spare car for all I know

28. ..........If you bothered to look at my profile you would see that I am in Maryland. We're just trying to help you establish some sort of history of the car not get into your personal life. Good luck with your search.

29. Secktion8

Secktion8

I did see that you were in Maryland, so you don't apply to that portion of my post. if my original post was in mind when I received some of these comments I don't think I would've received them in the first place. I have very little info on this car and that's why I am here. I don't need negative remarks from anyone about the type of paint, how old it is or if it were painted to look vintage. I've had this car for twelve years and when I bought it had a tree growing through it. it was not a barn find nor do I think I have anything special. I'm looking for someone that has seen it or has a picture of it. Not an opinion

30. racer32

racer32

Secktion8-something you need to know about the HAMB. It's a community. A lot of guys have been here a long time, and there are guys here who know more about racing history (and race cars) than any other forum on the 'net. If you come in with an attitude and demand that someone provide you with answers, some guys are going to bust your balls. Hard. As an FNG who hasn't posted anything other than this thread, you may not get answers if you cop attitude and don't make an effort to JOIN the community. Have a nice day.

BTW, you should probably read this: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

lothiandon1940 likes this.