Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's say i bought a stock Model A...Are any of the parts worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BiscayneBrain, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Fenders

Fenders

On the rod in my avatar I sold the running rolling chassis for $3K.

2. Swifster

Swifster

The serial numbers are on the engine block and the frame. There is no serial number on the body!!!

Everyone bitches about VIN problems with the DMV and then sell of the serial numbers that prove ownership. Say I buy Tweeds rolling chassis and a body from Brookville Roadster. Who's title trumps who? Want to bet it's the guy with the frame?

People worry about buying 'real steal'. They forget about the rest of the car.

3. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

minus body should go for $1000-$1500. maybe more

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

if you can find a nice stock A painted in a color you like (and do not plan to chop it), it is cheaper to buy a stocker and take it apart to build a hotrod. trying buying a body, then having the body and paint done. it is more expensive than buying a complete car plus it comes with a title (especially if you build a fendered car).

5. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

So true.

6. racemad55

racemad55

What body style we talking about?

7. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I not quite sure what it's called. I know it's a 1930 5 window coupe with a rumble seat. I want to remove the rumble seat and make it a trunk.

I guess I just jumped in feet first. I decided I wanted to build a hot rod and I'm doing it. I looked at model a's within driving distance and bought the best one in my price range. This build is going to be low budget. I pick the car up Saturday and will post pictures after I clean it up a bit.

Dean

8. 5window

5window

First, barring a few one-off's, all Model A coupes were 5 window. Second, while you can convert a ruble to a trunk (Mac's among others sell the parts) it's not quite as easy as you'd think. Plus a rumble seat coupe will bring more than the same, identical condition trunk equipped coupe.

Sounds like you're going to take a pretty nice A and make it into a low budget (hoping i don't have to say r_t) rod despite everyone's advice. I think this is where I wish you luck on move on. Good luck.

9. And you should know that frame and engine are your serial/vin # to
    that car.Do you get a title?

10. racer32

racer32

I pulled the rumble seat back and bottom from my coupe today. It looks to me that at one time it had a trunk. Either that, or the inside panel of the trunk/rumble lid was drilled for either one. Also appears to have a place for trunk hinges. To me, a trunk would be more useful than a rumble that nobody would be able to ride in.

11. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Its nice, but not that nice.

It won't be a rat rod, my 71 year old father wouldn't go for that. His first car was '29 and he knows a thing or two.

Dean

12. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

The car has a title and it will be transferred and licensed immediately.

13. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Here she is...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. What number on the title did you check the vehicle against? There is a number on the engine block but some DMV's will want to see the number on the frame (which means lifting the body). Sometimes the DMV has added a number plate to the door jam. Please tell me you found the number somewhere on the vehicle.

Charlie Stephens

15. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Bro, none of my business... but even I wouldn't rip that thing apart. I'll take a saw to just about anything. You should look into just keeping it a "banger" with a duel carb setup or something. Buy a body, and a frame and build a hotrod... that's all your going to use anyway.

16. EZFEED

EZFEED

Dude thats too nice of an A to rod. Sell it and buy a body only. Seriousley that'd be messed up if you do this. Every old car is a piece of history. When it's too far gone to restore THEN rod it out.

[​IMG]

17. EZFEED

EZFEED

18. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

There are plenty of restored Model A's. Cut it up.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Museums are full. Cut it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. Buy it, rod it, sell the parts on here or Craigs list. There's a hell of a bunch of stock model A's out there for sale if anybody wants one. Restorations, for the most part are boring and ya can't or don't want to drive the snot out of them. Just sayin'.

21. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

This is not a pristine restored car. It is in good condition relative to its age. The car has been sitting in a barn and the custom velour interior smells like it. Notice the color difference of the hood and wheels compared to the body. The body paint is newer complete with runs. It might be 20+ years old. This was the best one I could find within driving distance and met my budget. This will be my first build and what I think is reasonable for my skill level. I also have the 84 year old farmers blessing. No one else wanted it. I'm happy to own it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Depends on condition, I've seen worn out junk go for a grand. If it's all rebuilt (brakes, trans, rear, engine, steering, etc.) it could easily go for $4000 if not more. Good runner should go for $2k-3k

If you were closer, I'd look to get the trans and rear.

23. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

I did the same thing a year ago. I bought a complete Model A Coupe and only kept the body. The complete running gear was sold as a whole and was an easy sell.
    So,..... what was the end result of keeping just the body?? Other than the usual patch panels,.......I feel very lucky to have this beautiful body sitting in my garage. Some of these cars you see built are in such bad shape that they are literally brought back from the dead. If you want to put those kind of hours in a body because you feel that you saved another one from becoming a street rod, that's fine. But,.....keep in mind that there will be literally countless guys waiting in line that will be waiting to step up,.....take your place,.....separate and put that beautiful gem of a body in their garage,......and sleep peaceful at night knowing what they have. At the end of the day,......you didn't save that car from becoming a street rod,.....you only missed the opportunity yourself.:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  24. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I would have bought a nicer one if I had the budget. This one is a good start and some filler has been detected. Who knows what's under the paint. Body work is last in line, though it might see a chop!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Sweet car... if it runs and you were closer, I'd give you a grand for the leftover parts in a heartbeat.

26. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I'm sure you would. It's going to take a little more than that.:D

27. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Just an update. I ended up selling the Coupe this spring.
    I'll be introducing the new A after I pick it up.

28. Haha, sweet - here we go again. I can't wait to see it!

29. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

It's supposed to be here tomorrow morning!