Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Larry T

Larry T

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The blocks are for ride height adjustment to get that last 1/2" of crank height or if you missed ride height by spring settling after a while, which they do if they are not from a dumptruck....

3. .., oh ya, and make sure not to mount your old rear tires on your front rims..,that's not very gassery either.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

Badass...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Blocks between the springs and axel plus a damn automatic trans, it has at least two things going against it!:eek: More than likely e85 in the tank to.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. What kind of brakes are those, picture is kinda fuzzy.

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

The only reason you think my tires are big is because you have such little bity wheels! :D

9. Hey Moon Missile, thats a picture of a real deal Willys the way many were set up and ran, faster than you can today, some 40-50 years ago. That trans is a four speed hydromatic, that was very popular in the late 50's to mid 60's because the three & 4 speed trannys of the day would not stay together very long, and running a manual box wad harder on all the drive train. The 4 speed hydro's were even more popular in the Super Charged Gassers of that era than the normally aspirated cars. But hey, a self proclaimed Gasser expert such as yourself would already know this..,right? PS. The tank in that Willys would have been full of "High Test" or methanol/ Nitro mix if they were cheating, or match racing. E85 wasn't even a thought in that cars day.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  10. Pretty sure those front brakes are Hurst Air Hearts.

11. 15 x 5 ET's (thought you might want to know), that way you have some idea what to look for when your ready to take those road racing jobs off the front of your '56, and replace them with something proper.., oh, and the tires are 5.90 x 15 BFG Silvertown bias plys now remade by Coker Tire.

12. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Are you telling me that photo was taken in the late 50's early 60?

And no, I wouldn't know jack about that high dollars Ca shit.

13. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Yea, I figured ET's or something like that. And 5.9" may be something to crow about out there in Ca, but wont get your name on the ladies room wall here in Ga.

Guess I'll just have to keep running these damn old American, Sports till I can afford something nice. :rolleyes:

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

Yes the photo would have been in the early to mid sixties. That might have been high dollar Ca shit as you say but it was the top of the field car at the time. I believe Panneton Bros Racing was actually racing out there at the time(correct me if I am wrong) Lets not get this thread closed with another pissing match. If you have gripes about comments PM that individual.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Perfect example of a real deal gasser, with the latest technology! Big John's cars were always ahead of the competition with the latest tech. Disc brakes, Hydromatic, and probably many other things that don't show in the picture!

16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Pann

That Moon dude has it all figured out right, like you say a stick would not hold the power in A/Gas super and the auto worked great for those guys

They seemed to hold up pretty good as those cars made run after run on pump gas being pushed in by a 6-71

17. Uh, wrong!
    It was taken, probably 1965 or so. The trans is a hydro. familiar with those are ya? Too bad Big John passsed away, I guess he could have used your advice!:rolleyes:

18. Yes, that photo is from the early-mid 60's.

19. I think Maz's Willys passes the "gasser" test! Of course some HAMB experts might not agree!
    [​IMG]

20. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn that car was nice looking

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Yeah June of 1964 to be exact, it was just in the Hot Rod that Rick's 56 was in. Here's the rear suspension too.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Oops this pic

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

23. Larry T

Larry T

The interior pictures I posted above are from the same Mazmanian Willys as the chassis pictures. It was first campaigned in 1964.

24. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I guess the point I'm making is that the OP began by asking what would be practical, real world features that he would want to incorporate in his car which he clearly stated is intended to be a mostly street cruiser and occasionally make a pass at the local strip.

Now world recorded holder purpose built full on race cars that ran in the most elite classes and still pushed the envelope and that couldn't be reproduced for 100K bucks are being held up as examples.

Based on what I'm seeing referenced there must not have ever been a B, C or D gas class car ever run back in the day.

I'm just suggesting that maybe some of the experts might think about getting your heads out of the magazines and take a look a few of the grass roots cars that were around back then and can actually be replicated on a reasonable budget.

For every one car like the last example posted there were a hundred built like mine back in the day.

Just sayin.

25. Like the Parham & Doane 55?

[​IMG]

26. Yes it is a steel car. In fact it was used to make the molds for the bodies that many of the famous chopped fiberglass cars used. They did two molds - a stock height and then a chopped on. The front end is glass and was made in the 60's.

This is it in the early 70's at Irwindale
    [​IMG]

And this is the car today
    [​IMG]

27. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Closer, but still not at all streetable. Lets see something 63 or earlier, B, C or D class from the dual purpose street/strip era.

But I do admit, at least it doesn't have blocks between the spring and front axel. :D

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thanks. I seen a pic of it somewhere else on here and wondered if it was glass or not.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

29. Here - real C/Gas cars from the day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Lots of cars ran blocks.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files: