Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Your house, your rules.

2. I see a HUGE irony in that statement when I look at your avatar and see a mild KUSTOM :D:D:D:D just thought that was funny

3. Clark

Clark

I guess I'll be a casualty....

My cars are traditionally styled but I build them the way I want ....

Are you gonna get rid of the off topic tech in the tech archive? You should. Start with all of my stuff.
    Clark

4. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I joined in 07 in order to get some parts for my 34 Plymouth that kind of was a
    RR. I have since then spent a lot of money (some to guys on here for parts) in order to get my car out of the RR look. I search the wanted ads daily for those who are needing parts that I may have and I put parts on here that others may need. I like hot rods which is what I now ( I think) my car is more appropriate for. It does now have the grey American racing wheels with the coker whitewalls. I would love to change my username but have read on some past post that it is not possible. So I am a little leary sometime to post or respond to quotes or questions because I have been blasted just for my username and I understand that. I like hot rods,customs,gassers,lead sleds,traditionals, and I don't like welded up rolling wrecks. I am on this site everyday reading and learning.......computer illiterate most of the time so the change will take me time to figure out. Will probably get some feedback now because the first thing you see on my post are ratrodder34. I can live with it if the Mods don't send me packing. I share this site with others at least once a day. I work at a big place!!!

41FordVert likes this.
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well I have learned more than a few things on this thread. Among them, I really want to see Saxman's pick-em-up, and at all costs we need to keep "dirty old man" around. If you read Ryan's rules this may be the guy he's talking about, regardless of region...
    This finally mimics a few other successful forums I frequent, personally, it just got too big to not break down, I am now seeing stuff I hadnt had the opportunity to see, its great.

jerseymike, I owe you a beer one of these days!

6. The split of Custom and Hot Rods is fine with me, but my opinion (and it is worth what you are paying for it) is that those two focused forums should contain Historical Threads, Build Threads, and "Features" of appropriate cars only.
    Tech threads should not be separated by Hot Rod or Custom as WAY too many (MOST?) are appropriate for both and certainly the techniques used in tech threads can be of value to both camps.
    Just something to think about

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You really think Ryan has THAT much power??:eek: "hey you bastards, stop selling that non-traditional stuff! Wadda ya think this is, a free country or something??":D Yea, I can see THAT going over well...

8. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Bring on the changes. Loved the idea of split forums. Truth is I rarely have the time to visit this site and I really do love the place. I just get tired of searching 15 pages of "stuff" before finding a tech thread or whatever it is I'm in the mood for.

Kinda like shopping. I go to the store knowing what I want to see or buy. Same deal here.

Either way. The HAMB is and will continue to be ...wait for it....LEGEN..DARY

9. hasty

hasty

Sounds good. Just hope the workload doesn't keep some of the new moderators away from the garage - authors of some of the best build threads.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's one of the challenges I'm facing right now is figuring out how all of this is gonna work. And that's a major reason why I am selling this as a "beta test" of sorts. We've got lots of learning and toying to do...

11. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, he has that power, it's his site. he can remove them from the vendor list.

if he's committed to keeping everything here, truly traditional.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The idea of the Alliance is to give those that support me (such as yourself) the most value as possible. As such, your idea doesn't really fit into my "business" plan. Sorry man.

13. The changes are inspiring to me; the only thing is that I'm lazy and I'll probably miss some good stuff because I can't be arsed to click the Traditional Customs link. :p

14. silent rick

silent rick

i supported you.

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

You and all moderators have always stated very strongly no splits or new sections …. why the change now?

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't ask anyone for permission. I just did it. In the past, I've always polled before doing a big change like this. This time, I did it for myself... cuz, I needed to do something.

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Gotta ask, should I let my caddy thread fade away into the sunset or are updates allowed? Car has no paint but is not a junk rod.

[​IMG]

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not familiar with it, but I think it would be fine in General Discussion.

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks for clarification about placement of event coverage. I did read but some of it went out my ears and did not absorb.

20. CayoRV

CayoRV

After reading all of the the many comments regarding the changes that are coming I can't help but feel that, once the bugs are worked out and some time is given, this site will be more of what Ryan originally envisioned.
    I don't have a monster post count because I come here to learn and get ideas more than inflict my ideas or opinions on others. My rides all may have some traditional aspects but none could be considered traditional or custom in terms of the definitions here and I'm fine with that.
    I have found more good information on this site than anywhere else on the interweb and my only concern about the changes is that I may have to look harder for information in the future if the off topic tech posts are stricken from the record and no place is allowable for them here.
    I like all types of "hot rods" and frequent many other sites daily and I always manage to check out all of the new post topics without problem. I can be found on several vintage truck sites, custom sites, various foriegn car sites, sports car sites and yes even a rat rod site or two. I really like seeing what others are building even though they may not be anything I would like to have in my garage.
    I like to read about them all, but I have questioned why some very good threads, which I have found very interesting have been allowed to continue, ie. cycle cars, Citreon 2CV, and a few others that are outside the scope of the rules of the board. I love the threads and have kept going back and reading them, I just am perplexed by their continued presence here.
    One thing I can say based on viewing all these many other sites is that Ryan is doing the right thing here by trying to eliminate the clutter. The HAMB has become on of the harder sites to "wade through" over the years. Not to be harsh but too many personal posts (lost my job, lost my family member, had a fire, tornado, flood, etc.) which should have a place, but not on the main board.
    Bottom line is I believe these will be changes for the good and will continue to be here everyday checking out everything new to try and expand my knowledge, I just hope all that which has come through this site isn't lost and that those who have brought their wisdom here will continue to share with others, if not here somewhere.
    Ryan, I don't envy you for what you and your team have to do here, but I do envy you for what you have accomplished.
    Thank you.

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cool, thank you. Engine is OT but that was not the focus of the build, more of a general story of the car being found and brought back from the dead.

22. F&J

F&J

any questions I had, I don't need to ask....because I am watching the threads being moved from the main board to the new categories.

The more threads that get moved, the more I will get to understand how/where it all fits.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We aren't doing a lot of wholesale moving yet as I want to see how this all goes before I spend the kind of man hours that is going to take. I've moved a couple just for fun though...

I have to admit, it is kind of exciting to see that kind of focus in those two forums. I think the hot rod forum will fill out in no time (maybe too quickly), but the custom guys need to put their posts where their mouths were... so to speak. :)

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Since this is sort of an experiment and not set in stone yet? Any chance model year could be locked down at '65 and let the style drift a bit? I wouldn't doubt if the majority the content of one of the best threads on here "Drag cars in motion" are at least late 60s era.

25. HA HA HA! No shit! I actually bought the car drunk on a whim at the Los Cochinos Car Club Christmas party. Wasn't looking for one, but fell in love with it post purchase. Still haven't finished a hot rod project, even though they are my preference.

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Boy Ryan you sure make it hard on an older person.Welllllllllllllllll,just have to invest more time learning the new routes to take for further enjoyment of the H.A.M.B.Thanks for a super site.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

DAMMIT, I need to go to the garage but I just cant not watch.....guess there needs to be a new piece of equipment out there....a computer desk. This has been amazing to watch Ryan, good thing Im pretty secure in my job, not much got done today. BTW, if things stay the way they are with my lil thread....HUGE incentive to gettin it done, thanks for that, I really needed it! I have a good feeling about all of this.

28. Good point! I agree.

Sam

29. Squablow

Squablow

I work gate inspections at a popular traditional hotrod/custom car show and each year the criteria gets more strict and we turn more cars away. The stricter we get, the more people show up. The people who "get it" come back the next year with their non-period issues corrected.

I wouldn't worry about losing members. I like the idea that having a build thread here can be a badge of honor. Being exclusive is a good thing.

I don't know about the budget thing, who puts air ride on a Model A sedan or builds a 6.0 LS to keep things in a "budget"? My girl's car is going totally period correct and she only had $1 to work with.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825604

But for your other point, some of my favorite threads are the cars that started out as lame-o street rods and get turned back to totally period correct, like Pro Stock John's Merc. I would think those would still be fine, as long as the build is undoing all the lame stuff and going back to period correctness.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.