Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest question ever...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Sep 3, 2013.

1. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

In my experience, a collapse hose, ether upper or lower are caused buy a bad radiator cap holding vacuum.
    When a vehicle sits over night there is no pressure in the system (when cold) when the engine is running and building up heat the cooling sys starts to build up pressure, the cap will hold (average) 16 lbs ,The excess escapes into the reservoir or atmosphere depending on the car.
    When the pressure drops and the cap will not vent, a hose will collapse because of the vacuum
    I would defiantly make sure it is full but I would also replace the cap

2. Probably not the dumbest question.

But THEEE dumbest thing to spend money on is pre mixed 50/50 antifreeze.
    13.99 a gallon vs full strength 15.99 a gallon yields 2 @ 50/50.
    But the 50/50 and you pay $6.00 for 2 quarts of water.
    That's almost $60.00 to fill a cooling system with the premix .
    Buy 1 gallon at 16.00 and run 3 gallons of water for 75/25.

3. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is the best thread ever... Hope "the powers that be" don't ever erase it. That poor guy will probably never ask a question again.:D

4. rustang

rustang

+1......questioned my kid a few days ago why he bought 50/50.....he said it was easier....wtf?

I showed him the costs for "water" and he did see the light.....:)

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

As long as folks understand they should use distilled water. Tap water and aluminum radiators are a really bad combination. I have a custom Ron Davis aluminum radiator that was not cheap. I would never dump tap water in it.

6. Model T1

Model T1

Did we forget "how do you preserve rust on a car?" :confused:
    I also agree it's silly to pay for 1/2 gallon of water when you buy 50/50 mix.

7. Okay I give , what happens to the other 10%? :D

On the other hand, when its pushing 100* shedding heat becomes a priority and freeze protection not so much. A 70-20 mix sheds heat much better and gives you some protection for the freak cold snap from 95* to 20*. Ever seen one if those ? Me neither but the 20% gives more than enough corrosion protection and pump lubricants. You need that[/QUOTE]

8. [/QUOTE]

It's there someplace lol

9. [/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

10. Looks more like 30% ! :D It does have that Christmas color thing going for it though...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Or a Ham Samwich !

12. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Well, I bought a new radiator, new hose (with coil), and a new cap. Went home installed it, mixed 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. Poured a gallon in started the car then poured more coolant in. It only took 1 1/3 gallons to fill. I ran it for 45 minutes. It never burped that I know of and never required more coolant. I watched it circulate in the radiator. Maybe it did burp while i was reving gently. But I'm confused because I saw the coolant come out when I took petcock off old radiator. Then more when I removed the hoses. ????? What gives?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378435325.345370.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Dumb Question"; is the one that was NOT asked.......

4TTRUK

15. loudbang

loudbang

Whew for a minute there I thought I was the only one old enough to get that.

16. 6inarow

6inarow

Ok. Going to bump this thread again. What coolant additive is best to refresh plain old ethylene glycol for cast iron block and heads and copper radiator?