Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest question ever...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Well, although I rebuilt the motor on my Fairlane, Im feeling a bit insecure lately. I got a new motor and trans installed into my Galaxie. New motor is a 302. Old was a 289. Well I was cruising just fine till it starting over heating and that bottom hose was collapsing. Just got a new radiator today (well, when it arrives), my dumb question is.... How much coolant do I put in the new radiator?

When I took out the old one last night, it pretty much dumped everything.

Thanks in advance.

2. You should have 4 gallons mixed* on hand fill the rad and light it off when the T stat comes open be ready to start dumping coolent in it. Last small block I filled from completely empty with desert cooler radiator.

* mixed equals 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze. That would be 2 gallon anti freeze and 2 gallons water.

3. enough to fill the cooling system

4. Fill the radiator up and let the car run until the thermostat opens,the coolant level will drop and add more coolant.

Are you using a overflow tank?HRP

5. stimpy

stimpy

and noticing your from chicago use distilled water or buy the antifreeze premixed , to keep your radiator clean .. also you might want to look into a anticollapse spring for the lower hose gates sells them ( napa) or a hose with one already installed . its worth the extra 6 bucks

6. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Not a dumb question. Like the others said, fill it with 50-50 and top it off after the thermostat opens. If you are running an overflow tank, fill that about 1/3 full.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Did you replace that bottom hose with one with coiled wire in it ,keeps them from collapsing.
    Not enough coolant and a fresh rebuild would run hot,did you break in the motor?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being as I also live in a climate where you absolutely have to run antifreeze in anything that you don't drain the block on in the winter I just buy gallon jugs of regular antifreeze, pour half into an empty jug and fill each back up with water and 1 gallon of regular antifreeze makes two gallons of 50/50 antifreeze. Beats the hell out of paying the antifreeze guys to do it for me.

You can probably Google specificatons for your car and dig out the cooling capacity. The Motor Manuals and most repair manuals that cover that model car will have the capacity in them too. Specs for one with a 260 or 289 are going to be pretty close.
    This should be pretty close http://www.automobile-catalog.com/o...lane_500_sports_coupe_challenger_221_v-8.html

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

There are no dumb questions, but I see a lot of dumb answers..... just saying.

The missing spring in the lower hose may have been what caused the overheating problem to begin with. The suction from the water pump will do that and when it does... no water flow.

According to my 1964 Motors manual, it will have 14 qt without heater, 15 qt with. In other words... 4 gallons !

10. 1967gt

1967gt
    from ohio

Yup ! Thats ranks pretty high on the dumb meter. But it seems there are alot of those dumb common sense questions -- being asked here by rod builders ???

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not really the dumbest question I've heard, but Benno's answer is the best.

"You should have 4 gallons mixed* on hand fill the rad and light it off when the T stat comes open be ready to start dumping coolent in it. Last small block I filled from completely empty with desert cooler radiator.

* mixed equals 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze. That would be 2 gallon anti freeze and 2 gallons water."

The amount of coolant is 50-50 mix, so best to mix it up prior to filling, so you're not guessing how much water is in there, and how much coolant to add to it.
    Fill the system with 50-50 pre mixed, or mix your own. Then add it as it's running until all the air is out of the system.

12. I would rather ask the question than have to make a second trip to NAPA for more anti-freeze ... or have a excess gallon sitting on the shelf while I am trying to find a way to come up with the money to pay the electric bill .... good use of the bandwidth!

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

No overflow tank. Thanks for the advice. I did gt a hose with coil in it.

14. Yep way better to ask a dumb question then to make a dumb mistake. Voice of experience here, both accounts. ;)

Actually to ask a question on fluid capacity is not a dumb question at all. Mechanics in general seem to know less about fliud capacity than any other thing about a car.

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

No such thing as a dumb question.
    Only dumb inqusitive people.
    Your question wasnt dumb. I'd hate to have a new motor blow for a dumb reason.
    Pick up a your year spread MOTORS manual. Theyre really interesting just as a read.

16. Actually I can think of an example or two of Dumb questions, for instance to ask Mama Cass if she wanted a donut would have been a dumb question. :D

17. stimpy

stimpy

only one ???? I guess I am a antifreeze hoarder, last time I counted I had 6 gallons of 2 types .

and prioritys no warm beer but can do without gas for a month .. or the phone..

IMo its not a dumb question as I worked on small water cooled lawn equipment to v-24 15500 CID EMD Diesels , and cannot remember what take what for capacities ( I hate the EMDS since they are all different ) , but I remember what coolant type it takes . especailly living in the norther US , cracked blocks or pooched radiators are not fun

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  18. Anybody who says there are no stupid questions has never worked on a service desk. :eek:

19. stimpy

stimpy

I don't know about that I met many a service writer that didn't know there asses from a hole in the ground and were put there because they screwed up too many cars .

20. Or filled out a census form. :D

21. Just a bit of info to keep in the back of your heads.
    A 50/50 mix will protect from freezing down to - 58* but also cost the efficiency of heat transfer by 30%. In sub zero and arctic climates 50-50 is what you want and need and who gives a shit about shedding heat when it's that cold?

On the other hand, when its pushing 100* shedding heat becomes a priority and freeze protection not so much. A 70-20 mix sheds heat much better and gives you some protection for the freak cold snap from 95* to 20*. Ever seen one if those ? Me neither but the 20% gives more than enough corrosion protection and pump lubricants. You need that

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

Don't do what I did and try to break in a cam with no coolant.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. elba

elba

When I was young I had lots of car questions. My Father and others mentored me and now it is our turn to mentor others. There aren't dumb questions. There are good answers.

24. Model T1

Model T1

I agree that the lower hose was probably the main problem. But a new radiator is good insurance if you plan on keeping and driving the car.
    Also I remember that year Ford having a rectangular expansion tank. Maybe I'm off a few years. I've been a little off before.
    But I'd add an accessory recovery tank anyway. Those are marked for the COLD level.

25. Speed~On

Speed~On

A common reason why a cooling system does not get completely filled is because of air bubbles in the system. When you pour in the antifreese air is also entering. There is a great little tool you can use that will get all the air out of your system.

It's called a Burping Funnel and they are available at your local auto parts store. This one is sold by Advanced Auto.

[​IMG]

As you pour in the anitfreese (Just buy the 50/50 mix as the others have suggested) you will actually watch the air burping out of the system in the funnel. These work GREAT and it's kinda foolish not to use one, they are really slick!!

Now the air will be out of your cooling system and you can indeed fill the entire cooling system (engine and radiator). Obviously allow the thermostat to open as well while you're filling. I always buy a bunch of containers of antifreese and return what I don't use. Also, don't forget to fill your overflow container:D

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Good try but it'll take a doozy to dethrone "How do I wash 10 feet of dust off my car?".

27. stimpy

stimpy

with one of these [​IMG]

28. stimpy

stimpy

I worked a job site where the trucks didn't use antifreeze , just water , we would drain them every night in the winter months to keep them from freezing , sucked having to spend a hour every day refilling the cooling system , never asked why .. but them trucks always ran cool and when the fan kicked in , the temp dropped like a rock on the gauge

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Better to have too much than not enough. You can always take an unopend container back the next time you pass by.

30. How to wash a barn find!?!:p

What do I win???

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013