Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

" but be careful in how you fill it up........"
    Ahhh.. there's the problem.

I keep looking at all the "stuff" I should have in garages and realize I would need more space than I could afford.
    Now if I only had helpers as you do. You are blessed.

One question: what is that item in the foreground of that picture?
    It looks like a power cord is going to it.

Joe

2. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Hi David. Can you knock a hole in the wall,to join the two workshops together?
    To save you running from one to the other, in winter.

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Joe, Yep my girls are great and they worked like troopers on some of the hottest days we have had. The Oldest has just finished university where she gained a first class honors degree. The younger one is on summer break from college.

The thing in the foreground is a garden blower, I used it to clear years of dust from the walls and floor. I blow my workshop through with it every now and then to keep the dust down.

David

Hi Mark, the landlord is OK with me knocking through but I can't afford to do it just yet. This is part of the building to the left of my main door as you face it, so if you remember from when you were here I will have to cut a hole in the wall where I have my wheeling machines and pullmaxes.

The space is not as large as it looks it is about 800 square foot and I have two container units with stuff in that I am giving up and that stuff will have to come in to the new space. I will be able to spread out that is the main thing. I will also be able to get my hot rod in which is in one of the containers at the moment.

David

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if you can add a second floor . It looks tall enough .
    Good for you to get a larger shop. Keep your Girls busy maybe it will keep their minds off hairy legged boys or a well placed loaded bear traps :rolleyes:

5. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Where can I but one of these? That things awesome

6. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

David. It will take a bit of planning, where to put your tools. When I said knock a hole in the wall. I forgot how much machinery you have in there. But having the extra space, will be fantastic .

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sneaked into the office to get a drink ( sweating like a pig from running up and down the ladder) and saw your question here is a link for one in the 'states but google plasma circle cutting attachment and you will find quite a few links...

http://www.usaweld.com/Circle-Cutting-Attachement-p/circle-cutting-parent.htm

David

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Pete, the problem with that is we have to pay rates (property tax) for all floor space, I am stretching myself taking this on. I can build large racking though.

Hi Mark, I intend to leave my wheeling machines and Pullmaxes where they are but cut a four foot wide door. I intend to make a woodwork shop in the new area.
    I want to keep to the same amount of vehicles I have in now so I have more room to work.

David

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Wow... wood work shop, large racking AND put your T in there to work on....
    Starting to sound crowded. ;)

Would you have to pay more taxes if you built a rack-type "second level" that was removable?
    Toss up a ladder and you could store a lot and still have head room.
    Here I am giving you suggestions when you clearly have a plan. Sorry. ;)

10. Congrats on the extra elbow room!

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

As far as I understand it if you can walk on it you pay rates.

David

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Mark.

David

13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You are welcome.

David

15. The new space looks like it will be great David! Always nice to have some extra room to move around.

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you, space costs a lot here because we live on an overcrowded little island. I intend to do some metalshaping classes to offset some of the cost.

David

17. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ahhhh if I could only take those classes. Sigh...
    I've been studying and practicing gas welding panels using the method that you show in your DVD. Brilliant!
    I have to patch my A truck panels but I'm afraid to do the deed for fear of warping like when I used to do this with a filler rod.

I hope you get back on this project soon but thanks for keeping it going until then.
    Joe

18. Hi David, I always read your posts with interest. That is great that you are getting more space! Are you planning to start building the wooden framework for customer's cars? I know you have been displeased with the frames you have been supplied with. I'll bet the girls are having a good time working with you, that will make good memories.
    I have meant to tell you, my youngest daughter gave me your DVD for Christmas. I learned a few things from it that helped with a project I assisted a friend with. Lots of good tips.
    Keep posting, we'll keep reading!

~Alden

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Alden,

You are right I have had a lot of problems with ash frames built by other people. We have to do a lot of woodwork at times so I need to have my bandsaw and other machines so I can use them without having to shift stuff all the time.

I am glad you have found the information on the DVD so helpful, thanks for your kind comments.

David

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Still trying to sort out the extra workshop space that I took on, have not had time to paint the floor but I did one area and moved my T in, or at least the chassis and flathead. its so good to have it in the workshop instead of the container I had it in. I will be able to start working on it again soon. Just got to catch up with some customer work and paint the rest of the floor first.

[​IMG]

David

21. Looking good....

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Bob, I am sorting out the parts for the T including the panels I have made now and still trying to get the new space ready to use. Back on it very soon.

David

23. David, that is great that you now have room for your car in the shop. It will be much easier to make progress.
    I am looking forward to seeing it come together. I am always intrigued by metal shaping, and you make it look easy. Every post of the work you guys do is interesting!
    Keep plugging away.
    ~Alden

24. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Just bought your DVD after reading this thread. Amazing workmanship. I'm looking forward to learning. I'm building a 27 roadster as well, but not from scratch!

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Alden, Like most skills once you understand a few principals it becomes easier. I have been working on the panels I made earlier to finsihe them off becaiuse I never quite finished any of them. I will have some more photos soon.

I hope you like the DVD, let me know how you get on. Let know when you start a thread on your build.

David

David

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

....theres NEVER enough room Dave....:D:D:p

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Why has this thread been relegated to traditionally styled hot rods? It has a flathead, toploader trans, 32 chassis, banjo rear axle, torque tube, dropped original model A axle. Forties Ford brakes, ford wire wheels, I am building an exact copy of a '27 T body. It's totally traditional period perfect hot rod.

David

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  28. I agree ... PM one of the mods and see whats up.

29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I don't know how to find the mods. I thought about sending Ryan a pm but I don't want to pester him.

David

30. austinhunt

austinhunt

Absolutely traditional. There is a ton of threads that are all in the wrong areas. They can't read em all so just let them know.

by the way, I'm really curious just how you curved the frame rails up for the rear axle!?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013