Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's say i bought a stock Model A...Are any of the parts worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BiscayneBrain, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I just want the body...
    Can I expect to sell the engine(good runner),trans, diff, wheels, frame, fenders, running boards....

Sorry for all the questions, but all answers are greatly appreciated!

Dean

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No ones going to want that crap. Send me a PM.

3. 5window

5window

It's all salable, but not much of it is rare-there are still a lot of Model A's out there. But, all in all you'd be ahead to just buy the body and not get into the parts business.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just list in the HAMB Classified section.

6. 5window

5window

7. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Sorry for not using the search button... I really need to get an idea of what this stuff is worth. I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to sell these kind of items.

Dean

8. No, they're all worthless.

Come on, really?

9. racer32

racer32

Not worth much...everyone's buying good-running Model A's for the body and can't get rid of the rest because everyone's looking for a good body. All the Model A restorers are either dead, or have hoarded up so much stuff in the 40-50 years they've been restoring stockers that they don't need it. PM me your address, and I'll come pick it up.

10. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

How bout you just leave a nice stocker alone and start with a body? I'm honestly SO tired of people tearing up nice cars, when there are still plenty of bodies out there.
    Anyway, to answer your question, yes, someone will use the parts. Are they going to be worth a mint? No, absolutely not.

need louvers ? likes this.
  11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Why don't you get a project that some one has lost interest in. I will probably be less money, you don't have to sell a bunch of shit you don't want and you won't be destroying a perfectly good car.

12. tinsled

tinsled

A stock model A is more worth sold as a complete driver than sold in parts.
    Why do you think so many are installing SBC, modern drive train and juice brakes?

Personally, I think the ford banger four is a nice engine with plenty of torque, but could not think putting it to any other frame than the original model A, thus there are plenty of drive train parts available, short of bodies... Figure what that does to parts prices...

13. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

ALL that stuff is worth something if its in good shape. even some rodders will buy the body parts. (not everyone goes fenderless). even the drivetrain is worth something to someone. It could very well be cheaper to buy a nice restored model a and use the body how you want. I have an original coupe and a roadster body that I am building into a hot rod so I like em both ways. If it is financially better to buy a nice original, do it and don't worry about what anyone thinks there is no shortage of original A's . Don't expect to make a mint off what you don't use though.

14. 5window

5window

Check the classifieds over on the A section of the Fordbarn-you'll see what some of the stuff is worth. Rare models are going to be worth more than coupes.

15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

wouldn't it just be easier to buy just a body...

16. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

If u pull the body. It's easier to sell out everything under it as a whole. Parting takes too long and storing it sucks. Depending on condition of the stock chassis and if anything was rebuilt etc etc. I've seen a running chassis go from $1000 to $4000. Like I said, depending on condition etc etc.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Google search is how 99 % of the FNG's found the HAMB in the first place.

On your question CreepJonny (is that what the local girls call you?) there is a market for just about every usable Model A piece that you have left over. You won't get rich selling the pieces but if you are patient you can sell off every piece. If you don't have the storage or patience to deal with it you can sell the whole chassis fenders and all fairly easily but may end up getting less return for what you have.

Remember though that if you have the title to the car or it will come with a title the vin number on that title is either to the number stamped on the stock block or on the frame rail. I'd want to make sure that I had that sorted out before I sold the pieces if I intended to use the original title to transfer and title the car. I'd rather keep the stock block and frame stashed in a shed if the car came with a title with matching numbers than sell them and worry about someone else trying to register those numbers for their own car.

18. Grudge

Grudge

I did that. Yes some of the parts are worth decent money if they are in good condition. But you end up basically making your money back, or best case you make something extra but end up working for minimum wage.

The only thing I ended up using was the body and bare frame. Depends on what you're doing (stock-ish or not), but I'd just get a body if I did it over again.

Aaron

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Yipes! Did you accidentally wander away from the AACA? This is a HOT ROD forum! :)

kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Nope, been here as long as you... just expressing my opinion.

I appreciate and respect them all... but as mentioned earlier, the sum of the parts does not equal the whole.

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

If you're near Carlisle and/or Hershey in PA-and probably lots of other shows, too, like Charlotte, there are always bodies for sale.

22. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I know that these parts aren't worthless but I have/had no idea as to what they are worth or their desirability. I now have a little bit better understanding as to what I'll have.
    Hot rods are not a new thing to me as I've been looking at them as long as I can remember. Actually buying and hot rodding a 1930's car is a whole new avenue for me. I've always wanted to, just never thought I would.
    As far as cutting up a complete car, so be it. The car I purchased, while not a pristine restoration, it's very clean relative to being 83 years old. My opinion is that it wouldn't have been restored to original anyways. The car was bought for a learning experience and think it's a great start for my first hot rod build. If this goes well, I can get a better understanding of the process for my next build. This is my plan.
    I'll post pictures of the car when I pick it up.

23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Sold everything off mine with no problem at all. Actually it sold itself.

24. 327Eric

327Eric

Hot rodders and restorers have been going back and forth for years. Always bitchin and moaning about how the other f*%$ed up the car, and eagerly buying unwanted parts from each other for cheap.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I worked with a guy who sold his dads Honda shop. (he past away) He had one of just about every Honda made in the 60's and 70'. They were used as display and very, very low miles, some still in the crate. He dismantled them one at a time and sold the parts on ebay for three times what they would bring together. Ok...they were just Jap bikes, so who cares. I had a point when I started...oh well, sorry. lol

26. Model T1

Model T1

I wuz born and sorta raised in Illinois. I know there are one or two Model A guys who'd love to have your junk. You just need to get the word out more places. Even Crook County has Model A owners all around the Windy Shitty.
    Personally I'd fix it up stock if it's nice enough. There are bodys out there you can start with without destroying one of the few good A's left.
    Yea, wrong place to mention restoring but I love Model A's.

27. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I cleared my body selling stuff I didn't want. Although I didn't have that much in mine so it would make a difference...but can be done.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

A grand...maybe. Four grand...no way.

29. slammed

slammed

Have you Googled the resto sites for buyers? Take really good, detailed pix of the parts and stash them out of the way. List them.

30. dtracy

dtracy

Perhaps you could trade the entire car for a new Brookville body. That way you'ld have a really good body to work with and the existing A would'nt get trashed.

Just saying...

Dave.