Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford Sedan "The Varmit" IS DONE! Successfully completed a Reliability Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Hay, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Lookin' good, Dan!

2. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very nice! I'm diggin the tires!

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks Good Dan.

4. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Once you get the motor in, remount your front shocks to the top hole in the shock tower. Otherwise they will bottom out and rip the tower. Don't ask me how I know this!

5. Thanks for the tip! Right now with no weight they don't reach the top.

6. push_rod

push_rod

You just can't go wrong with any of the 1940 Ford body styles; they all look great from any angle! I like my Coupe, but I like the Tudor that dad and I built too!

push_rod

Attached Files:

7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This right here is some AWESOME advise! If more people would do this more hot rods would make it onto the road.

Good luck with your build Dan. About a month ago I picked up a '47 Tudor. I will be subscribing to your thread.

Steve

8. Thanks Steve. My plan has been simplified further in that I'm hooking a Chevy via adapter to the OG 3 speed and banjo. That's the most economical way for me to get it on the road.

9. Looking good Dan!

10. I picked up some 40 Standard caps at the HAMB drags from bchrismer.... I think I like the no trim rings look.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Good word. That will be next month's purchase. This month I'm getting the title work done which includes loading it up and taking it to the auto theft task force so they can inspect the VIN, then I can get a bonded title. The car came with a title, but it was signed and not notorized, issued in 1944!

12. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dan,

What size tires did you end up going with front and rear? They look great by the way!

The car is coming along nicely.

Steve

13. 750-16 in the rear and 500/525-16 in the front Firestones. I haven't lowered the rear yet so it's not sitting where I want it, but those big 750's will be tucked up in the rear fender.... probably it will be about a 4" drop in the rear. Also 750's are 31" tall so that will help with RPM's on the highway.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4ttruk

15. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Nice build. Just thought i'd chuck my two penny worth in. A copule of friends have crate 350's hooked up to 3 speed trans and stock rearends, and they swear by them. Running crossplys your more likely to break out when you boot it than hook up. They've been running there's for at least 5 years with no probs. The only mod they both made was a 9 inch axle conversion in the banjo, not cheap I know. I'd say if funds are tight, run it stock, if it breaks rebuild with axles or drop an 8 inch in it.
    Have a look about on here, I know theres a thread somewhere that has loads of advice on bolt in axles...in fact, try this one..
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742104&page=3

16. ChrisBorsheim

ChrisBorsheim

How's the build going?

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Looks good---my favorite subject.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

19. A little bit of an update... the most expensive part I've purchased for this car to date (besides the tires) has been.... the TITLE!!! Don't worry, I went through the legal title bonding process, and after about 6 months and about $450 I have a good title for this car. If you want to know the breakdown of that cost, let me know. One thing I had to do in the bonding process was physically take the car to be inspected by the county auto theft task force. So part of my expense was renting a trailer... but it was a traditional trailer with Bias Plys.. ha!
    [​IMG]

Because of the title expenses, not much other has been purchased, but I did make a deal on a Small Block Chevy (gasp!) from Roothawg. I haven't picked it up yet. But just know it's a super traditional 3.5" stroked 327 :D

I did get the steering all apart, but for a minute there the wheel would not budge. i had to get a steering wheel nut to keep the shaft from mushrooming, then I went to town on the puller and it make a loud bang.
    [​IMG]

I've got the seals and can of John Deere corn head grease for the steering box, so it's all ready to go back together and get a coat of shake N shoot. The steering box was in great shape, besides being caked with grease, all the bearings and the races and the gears are choice. I'm starting to think this was a low mile car when it was parked.
    [​IMG]
    I researched what it would cost to rebuild the stock steering column drop with the switch and key and contacts and all, and for just a few bucks more I can have a pretty polished Limeworks column drop with the switch and key delete. With the Alliance discount...even better
    [​IMG]
    So, if you need a nice original 40 column drop, let me know, as long as I don't mangle it drilling out the bolt.

By far the most aspect I researched was the stance on this car. I feel like the stance must be taken seriously in any car to get the right look. I mocked up a front fender and this is how it sits without the weight of the motor. I think it looks good! I think it'll be just right with the extra weight, and the rear coming down about 4 inches with shackles and a reverse eye spring.
    [​IMG]

One thing that has concerned me that I noticed recently is the clearance between the driver's side wishbone and the steering box mount. It sure looks like there might be contact when the engine is in it and it's bouncing on down the road... But I finally got an pic angle from behind looking forward, and there is actually more clearance than it seems I MIGHT be Ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the pic looking forward from the rear. Looks better from here... Tons of guys have used this same setup, right? I'll just have to re-evaluate when the engine and trans is in. I could always move the bones to the outboard position on the mounts I suppose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now! I'm still plugging away, ever so slowly.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  20. haychrishay

haychrishay

I thought you had this all fgured out ?

21. Kinda, I figure out I need to wait and see what the car does with weight on it.

22. Back in the 70's & 80's I was a hard core 40 nut,,I had 2 sedans,a convertible,3 coupes and a pickup...

Out of all the cars the 40 sedans were my favorite and we traveled thousands of miles through a lot of states in a beautiful black sedan,incidentally it too was powered by a 327.

I may never own another 40 sedan but if the right one came along at the right time,,I may just own another one.

Enough about me,,I love your sedan and it is the perfect family man's car. HRP

23. Thanks man, it's a perfect match for me, I love my kids and I like Hot Rods and I don't want it to be something that is "Dad's thing" but a family thing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Small update: I really haven't been able to do much to the car but I have been collecting some key parts....

a ready to run stroked 327;) with an offy high rise dual quads.
    <a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/danhay/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    A really nice 40 Standard wheel
    <a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/danhay/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    The right 168t flywheel and Mercury pressure plate. These were both freebies from generous dudes.
    <a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/danhay/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Also, not pictured, a Wilcap bell housing SBC to early Ford.

Saving up to make an order from Speedway for the hurst mount and odds and ends, as well as a rumpy camshaft for the motor.. little by little!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's looking great Dan! That 327 will make that little sedan scoot!

26. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I just read through your thread....I LOVE IT!!! I'm a huge, Tudor sedan nut and the 40's are one of my favorites. You are doing a great job and are going to have a sweet car when you get it going. I really enjoy threads like this one....they motivate me!!

27. Thanks man, I gotta go easy though, don't want to tear out the ol' three speed and banjo!

Thanks, this is by far the most challenging thing I've ever done... there's a learning experience at every turn. But, that's why I tackled this project. I should rename this thread "If I can build a car, any idiot can too".

28. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Really kool Dan. Glad to see you keeping on with your car. I hadn't checked in on your car in awhile but I like it. Stance is everything!

29. Thanks! On a budget like mine you have to make some decisions on what is important, and what is not. Stance is extremely important so that's where I've focused my money. I hope it pays off.

Outback likes this.