Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Mickey,
    Thanks for taking the time to share the data with us.
    I couldn't find your facebook site, would you provide a link?
    I'm still spooked by facebook but it seems you can read the headlines and view photos even if you don't belong.
    Carl

BTW Bill's son Karl- could he be the same Karl Korbacher that went on to found Arizona Sports Shirts?

2. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Old Age -Speak for yourself you old fart.

Now what were we talking about???

:D

3. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Hey Dawg:
    That video was neat! That looks like a lot of fun!

4. Ha Ha and thanks for the response carl s and actually I am so old I was born in the cabin I built!!!!!

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Interesting, Bobby. My daughter and her new husband are visiting with us. His last name is Sabella, and his family is originally from south Philly. I mentioned you guys and he recognized the name.

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Compadre!:cool:

7. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I can attest that Dawg is a ferocious competitor and has it floored till it breaks at a variety of venues.

8. Here's some more videos that my wife shot from her cell phone. have patience with the last one. I think she forgot to turn it off. It happened on the final lap. I was leading, when due to an arching primary lead; my coil "went south". Enjoy!

http://db.tt/gQZPTsXk http://db.tt/YJGX3bKe http://db.tt/PQXjajuM http://db.tt/wGL2E3MU http://db.tt/sO7SIwEq
    http://db.tt/nGYbe39S http://db.tt/guDD6ZdH

This is at the Awards Ceremony, where, wonder of wonders, I was presented with the award for our Group, for "Excellence":confused:
    [​IMG]

9. PfrommerOffyTDJR

PfrommerOffyTDJR
    from PA

Stan- What does the tail look like now? Just curious!

10. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Keep running across this 1985 Lee Osborne creation on our Coast to Coast run.

Winchester, then Sat at Terre Huate and I expect we will see him in 2 weeks at Eldora.
    Terre Haute 2013
    Jay Wolf Photo - Midwest Oldtimers Vintage Racing Club
    [​IMG]

I'll post Terre Haute photos here when Randall forwards them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157635257419801/

11. ...that was worth the look....well done sir...:)

12. JoKerr

JoKerr

I know this is a little off topic but having my annual Hot Rod Gathering open house in Brownsburg, IN Good Guys Weekend, Saturday, September 21st. Every year we show a vintage racing/hotrod movie at dark and have a vintage race car cackle fest before we roll the film.

If any of you wanted to come out and show off your race cars, then we would love to have you.

Check out link showing some pictures taken from last year's event:
    http://www.jokerrfab.com/showsbeen2/2012 Shows/Hot Rod Gathering/hotrodgathering.htm

13. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Sorry can't make it, we'll be at Eldora. Your event is sure getting famous without losing its character.
    Please say hi to Steve 'The Greek' Panerites. He stopped by to visit about 5 years ago with Jim McGee (he built the little yellow flathead Model A for him) along with Eddie Wirth, Bentley Warren, Ralph Newman and a few of our aging local celebs.
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

Fausel Farms, Coachella, CA
    Fausel Motorsports - All gone today
    [​IMG]

14. Hey! Thanks! That's what our part of the "car thing" is all about...Giving "the folks" a chance to see vintage cars doing what they did "back in the Day": Go fast, look good and make noise..

15. deuce354

deuce354

btt

16. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I know this will be a longshot but here goes anyway:

Back in April there was an auction in Marshall, MI disposing of the estate of a Rick Hadley (from near Lansing.) Among the items auctioned were some older racecars including a couple railframe sprinters. One of those was a Hudson Hornet powered car which was painted gray and maroon, number 98, and carried the name "DeSalle Promotions". (DeSalle had acquired the car several years prior and had given it a cosmetic restoration with intentions of using it as an "attention attraction" for his business. No attempt was made to make it run.) Apparently the car was sold out from under DeSalle in a divorce settlement and presumably became part of the Hadley collection at that time. Under Hadley's ownership no changes were made to the car and when it was auctioned it was still a static display.

According to the local auction company, the car was sold to a collector in Santa Barbara, CA. (Auctioneers would not give me the name.) The collector transported the car to a Gerald Quam in AZ who set about to make the car a runner. I exchanged a few emails with him (he found me rather than the other way around) but I was unable to find out who his patron was. He fab'd a 2 X 2 intake for it among other things.

In late July, I heard that the car was consigned to an Auctionsamerica sale in CA on 8/1-3. It was lot #165 and sold for $23000. Again, I attempted to find out who bought it but the response was the same as before: "sorry but that's confidential".

My reason for pursuing this matter is that I'm personally acquainted with the original builder and have some interesting photos of the car as built-including the homebuilt mechanical fuel injection system. (The car was built in the early '60s by a George Place in Delphos, OH-a devoted and die hard Hudson fan[atic]).

Is there anybody in this H.A.M.B. community that has any knowledge of the August auction and may have a clue as to car's current ownership or whereabouts?

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

JO KERR's event is ALWAYS a great place to check out some vintage OPEN WHEEL cars. A lot of time, cars that are in private collections and ONLY come out for this event.

ALSO, we fire off a couple vintage sprint cars and drag cars every year. Last year I fires off the 220 Offy. It was the first time many in attendance had ever heard an Offy. very cool!

Check it out, and if you want to bring your own Vintage car PLEASE DO!

J Shaw

18. big mike b

big mike b

Micky D and Black Vette
    The 12 car driven in that Mike Arthur shot by Doug Coulter is the Hank Henry sprinter previously campaigned in 1974 by Bob East junior. The car is restored and resides in New Zealand where its been since 1977. It has been seen regularly at vintage meetings driven by its restorer John Stanley.
    Mike

Attached Files:

19. clarkj

clarkj

Here is my buddy's grandpa John Eddy's car at the Knoxville Nostalgia race. Technically a supermodified and not a sprint, though. They still run it quite a few times a year at various places. It has a Nailhead Buick in it. He also has a stock car with a straight 8 Buick that they get out from time to time. John is well into his 80s now and his young hotshot driver Walt Paris is getting there, too!

[​IMG]

20. .....thanks for those great photos big Mike.... :)

21. DWX9929

DWX9929

Hello all. First time poster here. First, I want to thank Josh for starting a fantastic thread! I've started reading all 1,000+ post from the beginning. Should keep me busy for a while!
    Josh, if you remember (back several years ago on about page 50) you asked about the guy who took 5 cars to the Chili Bowl. That was A. J. Felker from New Washington, Indiana. Don't remember all the drivers but two were Ron and Casey Shuman. Ron came out of retirement for the one time deal.

Also, I'm trying to find info on a midget I've purchased. Pictures are over on the midget thread.

Here's some pic's of a friends car. He's in his 70's and still drives in vintage races with his wife as riding mechanic.

Attached Files:

22. MickeyD

MickeyD

Nice photos, Mike! For those interested, the url for my Facebook site is https://www.facebook.com/groups/310836562296272/ If you are on Facebook, it is called Imperial Fairgrounds Raceway. Many CRA drivers are members of the group, so we get quite a few memories about the photos posted. Come over and check it out!

23. dweis12

dweis12

For those of you interested in articles on PA racers www.hoseheads.com
    and go to columns. Click on "Not just another racing column" by Pastor Dudley Balmer. Informative stuff on Beaber, Cianise, THE Blaney and Matus families, also a good article on one of my favorites, Gus Linder an Mickey Banas. Some other interesting things too, although I don't always agree!

24. Harleydean

Harleydean

Does anyone know where these wheels can be purchased?

25. Harleydean

Harleydean

Anyone know where I can get wheels like the ones on this sprinter?

26. easter

easter

[​IMG]

This is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen. I'm in 1967 again. Opp, Woodside, Adamson, Richert, Mack, Harrison, Rapp, Doshier, Daniels, Leavitt, Parkinson, Linder, etc, and my dad Luke are taking the green in Tampa. Thanks for photo. Bob Easter

27. sideways27

sideways27

I joined FB just to see this and it was worth it. I see a lot of names that I remember back in the day. I want to ask Ron Rea some questions I hope he contacts me. Great site Mickey keep up the great work.

28. big mike b

big mike b

Mickey, thanks for accepting me on your FB page. Fabulous site just like this one. Cheers

29. HOTROD98

HOTROD98
    from idaho

Try [email protected] they are the best wheel at the lowest cost. or go to www.AMERICANREBELMFG.com very nice wheels and they clear big brakes ask for Juan . tell him 98x sent you. and they are made in the USA. Phone # 714-533-3286.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I love it. It would be great to reproduce it in an oil painting.