Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Keep

Keep

Not only did I use all Grade 8 hardware on the suspension, being my paranoid self I used ny-lock's then drilled the top of the bolt for cotter pins.

[​IMG]

AmishMike likes this.
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow you are anal.

Nice work!

3. daddio211

daddio211

I've been subscribed since page 1. The car looks great and I'm enjoying watching it transform, but I really love your writing and stories along the way explaining the details. Does miss Judy know how much she makes US laugh?

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

4. Thanks, Fuzzy.
    Won't ask why, I'll take your word for it. Didn't know that.
    Built several motorcycles with SS, I'll bet there are some guys cussing me right now. :eek:

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Stainless steel is a very weird material unlike the properties of damn near anything else we use in our hobby. Being that it is soooo dissimilar to aluminum and steel, it will almost ALWAYS seize as an item threaded into a dissimilar material, and just flat WILL seize when threaded into it's self. Anti-seize is your friend! I'm so close to OCD that I use it on everything other than threaded fastener that are prone to loosening. I find there are few things in life as satisfying as two years later going to remove a fastener from a tight spot that takes the twist of a wrench to loosen, then spins off with a fingertip.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As I've been saying, you'll see more actual progress on this project as the heat starts to dissipate here in Phoenix. We are holding our annual PHOENIX VINTAGE MINI BIKE ROUNG UP tomorrow, and the temp is slated to be 107, by mid week we'll be back to about 115. This means that at 6:00 AM I jump out in the shop in the morning, handle the day's customer stuff, and am in by about 12:00, or dead. Not allot of time for my personal stuff when it's like that out. By the end of this month it'll start to dissipate, hopefully. Last year we were still at 103 in October...

So, long story short, ya, you're getting lots of story time and discussion time. But that's cool too, as some of this stuff is pretty important and isn't always discussed these days. Summer is the time of year to be locked in the house in the A/C, right? Oh, ya, forgot, that's an Arizona thing...

I'm not entirely sure in Judy really understands how funny she really is. I have found in my life of dealing with the public, that folks that speak English as a second language come in two flavors - very slow talking, quite and very apologetic at their lack of English skills, or, loud VERY confidently talking very fast and if you don't seem to get what they are saying, hell, repeat it back twice as loud because that person is hard of hearing!!! I'll let you guess which one she falls under! For the last decade, I have been the English to Judy translation device for the vast majority of friends and family. I actually do have a legal pad by my bedside on which I have been compiling the "Standard English to Judy Chan study guide" which is about half full at this point. Maybe I'll give you guys a definition or two while it's still hot out, strictly for entertainment purposes... It's really not as cruel as it sounds.

7. daddio211

daddio211

LMAO, yep I get it! Not just an Arizona thing, where I am in Utah is about 5-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, believe it or not. Commonly 110 in the summer and rarely snows. That's part of why I haven't been getting anything done in the garage too!

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats my wife as well. She'll spout some gibberish, and I'll ask her to repeat it, and she'll say the same thing again, only louder. And when she gets mad, she throws in a little Vietnamese for good measure!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, mine too, except there are THREE languages in there. Plus, she is very adept at mumbling in Russian, Hebrew, and English.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

AWESOME! I used to date this girl from Newfoundland. She worked for the government in a kind of uppity white collar position, had totally eradicated her accent. It was hilarious, if she got on the phone to someone back home, it would start creeping in right away, and by the time she got off the phone, she'd have lapsed into full-on newfie, and she would be like that for the rest of the day. Used to crack me up.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Flak Frie Lye, (Frank Lloyd Wright) Noted 20th century architect, with a foundation here in Scottsdale named Taliesin West, and no we won't do the Judy-ism for that simply because it turns into unpronounceable symbols. Also the name of a prominent street in North Scottsdale noted in Judy's world for it's Nordstrom's rack location. This East West street is the location were, when lost, she called me and asked where she was. When I questioned what the newly installed windshield mount compass's reading was, her reply was "Who herr care what tat say, terr me what dillection to turn"!

12. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I am loving this thread. I just hope it doesn't become a casualty of Ryan's upcoming purge of OT and fiberglass car's. As far as I'm concerned fiberglass T's are traditional and where being built before 1965.Ryan I hope you make an exception for glass
    T 'bucket's.
    Gregg

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, I myself am the worst case scenario in that one! I was born in Minnesota, and everybody in my family sounds like the typical Minnesota Swede... I have lost that being in Arizona for so long - at least until my favorite Uncle comes to town! Then I'm soooo annoying that most of my friends won't hang out with me for a week!

14. Mike

Mike

`

Ya sure, you betcha!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Let me guess, she doesn't need to know all that north, south, east, west crap, right? Thats what my wife tells me, and she could get lost in our backyard...

Chip, maybe we should start a social group for HAMBers with Asian wifes...:p

16. "AWESOME! I used to date this girl from Newfoundland."
    Sounds like the beginning of a limerick.....

17. Looks great - but the one further thing you could do is what is outlined in FAA regulations for aircraft - put the bolt head on top, so that if the nut DID somehow come off, at least gravity would hold the bolt in for a little while. I mean, if you want to be anal and all... :)

brEad and AmishMike like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is from Novosibiersk, Siberia, Russia, which is smack in the center of the Asian continent.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yer in Gimpy...:D

20. As an alternative, since you are drilling the bolt anyway, I would think it would be preferable to use castle nuts instead of nylocs on the steering components. Also, if you trim the bolt length before assembly so only a couple threads show beyond the nut it will give you a more finished appearance.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bingo. Also, trim the cotter pin tails off shorter with side cutters, or next time you need to work around them, you will get a lot of extra skid marks on your hands.

Besides, castle nuts are (dare I say it??) "traditional"...:D

22. alchemy

alchemy

I was thinking you guys are all weird for your fangasms over allen heads. But then this sentence made me realize I'm just as weird as you. I've bought the local bolt store out of castle nut stock before.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I was younger, me and all my buds were HARD-CORE BB Mopar guys. J10Y's were THE plug for street-driven modified 383/440's. Remember when Champion changed their plug line to "wider heat range" plugs in the early eighties? A buddy of mine went around to every parts place he could find, and bought up every box of "old style" J-10Y's he could find. He literally bought HUNDREDS of them. He STILL has boxes of NOS Champion J10Y's kicking around.:eek::rolleyes:

I was a little more pragmatic, I just switched to NGK.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Mopar guy, explains the OCD! haha

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yea, Mopars have always required a higher "skill set" than chevies...:eek::D which explains why my little brother always owned chevies...:D:D

26. Enough BS!!! Lets get some updates on The T

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry fuzzy! I've slowed down a bit this last week on this car due to a number of life's complications. It's still hot as hell, I'm runnin' an bit short of cash this month, I spent all day Saturday attending my step sister's big gay wedding (now there's something you don't do everyday!) I just came down after my one big promotional weekend of the year with the Arizona Vintage Mini Bike Round Up that I co-produce with a friend, Lot's of stuff for customers that needs completing, and, did I mention it's still 110 out? Ya, it's still nasty. Hell, we ran around all day on mini bikes yesterday in 110 and about 80% humidity and it damn near killed me. Today the dogs and I aren't going too far from the couch! I gotta remember what it feels like to be dry for a day!!!

Now, under the heading of stuff I have accomplished in this last week, I removed the hubs from my Buick drums (Burned the living hell out of myself when I quickly and quite accidentally played my rosebud torch over my left hand. I always wondered how hard that would hurt... Now I know!), made a swage cutter (well, repurposed) and knocked all the studs out of my F-1 hubs, found and ordered the correct radiator for this beast, And started to save the nasty but free glass deuce grill shell I was given for this deal.

At the moment I'm in a bit of a holding pattern for a few things. I know well enough to not bug JOHN EVANS when it's this nasty out for the hub and drum machine work, 'cause he doesn't deal with humidity on top of our already outrageous heat any better than I do. This'll be next weeks deal. I'm going to need to position and mount the new radiator when it gets here, same with the shell. I might start the insert for the shell tomorrow after my day's work is done and before I pass out in the shop.

Long story short, I'll get back into stuff pretty quickly. In the mean time, I don't mind a bit screwing around and laughing at stuff. Have no fear, I'll be back on track soon enough!

28. My friend I do understand. I changed gears in my Roadster for my upcoming trip to Canada, went from 3.25s to 2.795, a drop of about 600 rpm at 70. on Friday. 105 in the shade. Did it in the garage with the door open and in the shade, sort of. When done I was standing there admiring my work when I noticed something was tickling my arms. Looked down and there was about a 6inch puddle of sweat on the floor that was running off each arm. I decided it was time for a big glass of water and a nap in the A/Ced house/

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whoh! So you are driving your roadster up??!! Thats a long haul! Look forward to seeing it. As far as the jack-assing around, I sorta look at this thread as a virtual shop night at Chips house. Whats a shop night without a little clowning?:D

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well for one, with a "virtual shop night" your missing what would be one of the top ten steaks of your lives, and a Bombay and sapphire and tonic...