Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Old Air or Rainbow AC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Sep 1, 2013.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Any of you HAMBers ever use Old Air Products or Rainbow AC? I've seen a few posts on the ChevyTalk boards about Rainbow and a ton on here about Vintage Air, but not much here on other options. I kinda like the Old Air cable operated option, but I'm just looking around and getting info now. Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My 48 Plymouth has an Old Air "Hurricane" system in it, and it works very well.

3. Swifster

Swifster

Rainbow is an A/C wholesaler. They sell other's products.

4. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I put a rainbow "Hypercool 1" in my 40. The system looks nearly identical to the older Vintage air units. The documentation is a little on the light side and a recent detailed email to them with some specific questions went unanswered.

Not being too savvy on the whole aftermarket AC thing wasn't a good position to be in. The unit I have doesn't offer any method of temperature control for the heater. There's a temperature lever for sure but it just controls the thermostat of the AC compressor. Since there's no fresh air intake and no blend door, there'es no temperature control for the heater.

The other thing I don't like about the Rainbow unit is the lack of positive control over the air dampers. When ever the unit is on, It is blowing air out of the slot in the bottom of the plenum. When the control is on the heat position, that's the only place where the air is supposed to come out but there's a fair amount of air coming out of the dash vents at the same time. The dash vents are only supposed to have air coming out of them in the Econo or AC positions. When you move the control to either Econo or AC, the vacuum servo actuates and there is additional air coming out of the dash vents. When you move the selector to defrost, the vacuum servo for the defrost dampers actuates opening the path to the windshield vents and the servo for the dash vents actuates and closes down some of the air to the dash vents, but the servos don't work well enough to actually fully close the dampers or prevent unwanted air blowing around in the cab.

Knowing what I now know about aftermarket AC. I'm sold on Vintage Air stuff.

5. luckystiff

luckystiff

We sell and install nothing but Vintage Air. Fit, finish, reliability, and if you do have a problem support is superb.....

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have installed Vintage and Classic airs. Both are good units but I did have a problem with one I installed in a 65 Mustang with the electronic controls.... it worked backwards from what it should on the hot/cold lever. Other than that, the both cool well in Texas Heat !

7. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Got an Old Air Hurricane in my 41. Works great, not the easiest to install but not as big as other units. Got the electric version by the way.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Vintage Air has been designing and manufacturing A/C units for decades. Remember that old truism you get what you pay for. What ever you do stay away from Southern Air. Their products are junk.

9. maniac

maniac

Also have an Old Air hurricane unit, been in for almost 20 years, just converted it to 134A, never any problem, blows cold and good heat.

pecker head likes this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Stay away from Old Air Products in Fort Worth or you'll be sorry!

11. Not knocking you or your opinion but I know of two cars with old air and no problems. HRP

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I saw this in a previous post but it was never expanded upon. Why do you say that?

13. aaggie

aaggie

There is no alternative to Vintage Air. They work great and the customer service is beyond compare. When it is over 100# in South Texas you need good A/C.

They have a Bonneville racer that runs over 200 MPH with the A/C on.

14. Weasel

Weasel

^^^word....

15. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Just a technical note: Just about any of these units will work. The main item of reliability is the compressor and the Sanden compressors are used almost universally no matter what the brand of system. The rest of the system is the evap coil and the condenser along with the housing and controls. The controls are the real break away feature of a better unit and of course the customer service and warranty. I will say that the Rainbow warranty states that the warranty starts when the unit is put into service, not when it was purchased. At least someone out there knows the realities of building a hot rod :)

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

True about Sanden Compressors, they are all the same. The same is almost true of Condenser coils. Get the biggest one that will fit. The real difference is in the evaporator and controls. Vintage Air products are made in San Antonio, Texas and their Gen lV units allow you to utilize the cars original controls with wires rather then cables. Their only business is manufacturing A/C units. Companies like Southern Air sell A/C units along with everything else. Anyone know where their units are made?

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have two Old Air Hurricane units one of which I installed about 13 years ago. No problems with either. One cools my '50 sedan delivery on our 100+ degree days with no problems.

pecker head likes this.
  18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I had a 65 Mustang under dash unit in my old 51, all the other stuff came from Nostalgic Air, great company, products and very helpful.