Register now to get rid of these ads!

edelbrock carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Aug 31, 2013.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I have A new edelbrock 600 , 1406 seires,on a 283, when cold engine starts right up, when HOT its spins over a lot, I have too hoid gas to floor before staring, no flooding that I see, any help, thanks :confused:

2. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Sounds to me like the fuel in the bowl is boiling and evaporating after you shut the engine down, and it takes a long time to start because the fuel pump has to refill the carb. I had this problem on my chrysler big block with an edelbrock 800. The solution was to fit an aluminum "heat sink" between the intake and the carb and route the fuel lines as far away from any source of heat i.e. exhaust manifold, cylinder head, etc. If your carb has the clear sight plugs on the sides of the bowls you can verify that this is indeed the problem. After you shut her down and let her sit for 20 minutes look through the sight glass and see if the fuel level is where it should be, or if the fuel is all gone from the bowl.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I had the same problem with my edelbrock when it was on my 283.... The problem followed when I swapped out the 283 for the 350 I now have in my 40....

Your carb most likely needs rebuilt. Mine was, 1 float was out of adjustment......

Here are some part numbers, because I also needed to lean out my carb. SO your rebuild kit is 1477.... Your gonna need metering rods #1459, and 2 sets of jets1427 and 1426.... This is exactly what I used.... It is also what burned the best as far as fuel.....Make sure your High and Low float settings are exact.....

Everyone says put a regulator on it, but I don't have one and I have NO issues..... Good Luck,

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Put one of those phenolic (sp) spacers between the carb and intake. You are getting heat soak that is percolating the fuel in the bowl. My Son has a polished aluminum two four intake on his T with two 1406's and when he drives in the boiling sun sometimes the carbs get really hot from the engine and the reflection off the intake.

I have the same setup but unpolished intake and a couple of spacers, so I have no issues with the same carbs.

Don

5. jagster

jagster

Most of you youngsters know nothing about carbs. No offense, but I use these carbs on just about everything we own. It is the old (gets hot-boils the gas out of the float bowls). Hey, try it all, like the old wooden clothes pins on the gas line going up to the carb. Nothing helps. Have to step up and buy an electric pump to go in the gas line. Hook to ignition switch so it comes on, and stays on. Turn key, wait a few seconds for fuel bowl to fill, and pow! We buy Edelbrock carbs from people the first time they can't get started from a full heat, and a boil-away. Tell them about an aftermarket electric fuel pump and you get blank stares. Fuel pump purchase: Need low pressure one for carbs, not fuel injection high pressure type. Need only 3 to 5 pounds press. May have to buy pressure regulator, to adjust.

6. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

You can buy the little Mr Gasket electric inline pump for 20-30 bucks, and they produce a steady 4.5-5 PSI...you just have to make sure to mount it on the frame as close to the tank as possible and BELOW the tank...these are meant to be pushers not pullers, and they wont move air, only liquid. As he said before wire it into a "key on" power source, leave the key on for 3 or so seconds and that should be plenty to fill the carb.

7. I have used the "Cool Carb" product successfully on quite a few engines. Look up his site. Call Dennis in PA. He can help you out with or without a electric fuel pump.