Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Car looks Great Dave:D,, Finger, Not so much:(, Be careful, hope it heals OK,, Tim Jones

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Sorry about that.........I just wanted to remind all we do use alot of dangerous tools.......I was machining something for my headers on my lathe......I had my chip stick in my left hand...the tip of that stick was resting on the front lathe way....my hand holding the stick was about 10'' away from the lathe.....I only use the stick to re-direct chips now and then..If I have a buch of chips I throw the lathe in neutral and use the stick to deal with the chips.....never when the chuck is spinning......I was getting close to the end of my cut which stopped just shy of the chuck jaws......The cut was about a 1/2'' away ...I had by hand on the feed lever, I never remove my hand from that lever during any cut I make so I can stop the feed as fast as I can.......Had no real trouble w/ unrulely chips and like I said ...It was towards the end of the cut pass and I was watching closely......A chip must have snaked down around my stick then grabbed the chip stick and pulled the stick and my hand wicked quick into the lathe and chips..The chip was one of them straight noncurly razor ones......I was lucky..........from now on...I will keep the stick at my side.........I never had anything like this happen in the past for my hand is always held at a distance.....kinda of a freak accident....learn and move on.......Littleman

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

WOW! That is ugly looking. I hope it heals up ok for you.

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

A few years ago doing something really-really stupid on the mill I nearly cut my left thumb off, When I looked down at it the first thing that came to mind was----

"O-Boy, duct tape is not going to fix this"

5. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

It's amazing how quickly "shit" happens, even after years of experience.

Scotty

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Totally cool Dave, great vision

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Not too much to update other than I am trying to work on the project again.....it has been a month since I messed up the finger.....they say I need to wait another month before using it.....But I do not listen to well......just cannot stand idle......started where I left off ...I am going to tag the header tubes together this way...should look neat once finished. The idea was to weld the sleeves to the tubes and the lightened connectors to the sleeves, should be stronger and less prone to work the header tubes ...I need to just tact everything and wait to finish weld when I can hold everything better w/ my hand........amazing how far off your game you can get by hurting one finger pretty good.......Littleman

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. Great idea on the sleeves and connectors Dave!
    Nows about the time people will post about throwing their projects and tools away. :D

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hot Rod looks awsome, very nice work... However; you didn't have to ensure your finger fits into the butterfly wheel grips ! OOOOOUCH....

Headers are stunning !!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

Love a guy who will play hurt, been following the build cant wait to see it run.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

14. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

damn thats gonna be one hell of a ride.

15. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

17. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Disk sander got me . Had stuck and disk on and trimmed it to fit with a box cutter blade. And had just a little hanging off the disk wheel . Started sanding some thing and wack . Darn shook my hand look between the fingers and could see tendons . The sew up hurt worse the than the wack . Stuff happens we just need to try and not be us it happens to .

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

19. n847

n847

Good lord...thats wicked! Love the nose!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Bad ass doesn't even begin to cover it.

Good lord Littleman, how can everything you build rule this hard?

You must be breaking some thermodynamic laws somewhere.

21. greaser

greaser

Man, is that totally wicked!
    What are your plans for blocking/redirecting airflow thru the grille?

22. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:confused:Will you do wind tunnel tests? It looks like it will need a spoiler to keep it from getting airborne.:eek:..............:)

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Wind tunnel test...ha ha...that would be cool to do...not in the budget thou..
    The grill will not stay..the front nose will be made more streamline.......I plan making a full louvered bellly pan and a strong well placed wheeli-bar...will add weight only if needed to tune..........I have thought of making up some kind of wing.....it could look neat if made and placed correctly...just not that far ahead thou.....just started to weld uop the headers...running behind....Dave

24. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have the tubes welded to the flanges....just need to weld the inside of the flanges....Put the car back up on the plate.

[​IMG]

25. I finally found this build thread!

Lots a great fabrication and details... I can't wait to see it run!

And the finger! God damn!

Keep up the good work!

Sam

p.s. The gas tank seems like a "no-go" to me... leave it there because it looks cool... but maybe put a smaller fuel cell somewhere else... maybe under it?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Next time might I suggest that you Silicon-Bronze the tubes to the flanges. A nice fat low heat bead will support the tube weight better and reduce the chance of cracking. You can still weld the inner flange since there is not a support issue there.

27. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Man...... this thing looks wicked!

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I dig the Knights Templar theme and the Mid-evil moniker - :) you could really do a lot with that via paint-it would also go parallel with the obsession with detail and the serious effort behind it-

29. farmer12

farmer12

Amazing work as usual Dave! Looks wicked indeed.

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Started on the deflector plate this weekend....still has a way to go...The small holes I added are outside of the rule measured area.....1'' above the upper blower pulley and 1'' side..I placed a slightly angled slot into the plate....I will bend the upper portion to contour the upper shoulder hoop tube allowing the body to fit better in this area.....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]