Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine block color question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movingviolation, Aug 30, 2013.

1. movingviolation

movingviolation

Hey folks...

After a few setbacks including meeting a girl in a head on collision in my raptor (her fault) and battling some pumpkin issues that restrict much activities.. I am going to get my ass back at the rpu project! :eek:

I have a new roller 302 that i have converted to carb... and i am struggling with what to do for block color..

The RPU will either be red metal flake with black interior or Black with red metal flake interior...

Opinions on a red block? Black block? or a GunMetal Block?

I know, its my ride do as i want... Yea, i get it! But i'm tossing ideas around and just want a opinion or 2....

Thanks
    Leon

2. movingviolation

movingviolation

As well, what paint are people having the best results with?!!?!?!?!?!?

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Gun Metal is a cool color, you don't see that too often. I might even do hammer finish if rustoleum made a high heat version of it.

4. I tried something different on the wagon,,metal cast. HRP

[​IMG]

And I went red with the sbc in the Deuce pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i used black on mine cause it hides greese drippings & it makes the chrome & aluminum pieces stand out better.i did my oil pan black powder coated & it just keeps everything cleaner.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I usually go black on most of my engines, but I do like the cast gray color I see some guys running lately. It is a neutral color, and goes with everything really.

7. I have the engine in my 32 sedan painted black,,I don't like it and will eventually pull the engine and paint it red. HRP

8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Ford red is my color of choice for any engine. On a hoodless car I would probably try to complement the paint color.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The 283 in my A Pickup is Flathead Ford dark Green, almost black, got it from Roy Naciwicz. I like it. Orange or Red just didn't so it for me. With this being dark I thought I would have more paint options for the body too. Here's a pic before the heads were painted.

Attached Files:

10. George

George

Black is supposed to be best for shedding heat, personaly a fresh coat of Ford Blue looks great! The Gun Metal Grey probably wouldn't be bad.

11. Dark colors actually absorb heat,,lighter colors reflect.

But in this circumstance it really doesn't matter. HRP

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I can't recommend a color but I do recommend using Imron. I paint mine just like you would paint a car, epoxy primer then overcoated with Imron. Holds up great, doesn't fade, and you can wash the engine to keep it looking fresh.

Not a cheap process but it looks and holds up so much better than any other method I have used.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    AHotRod likes this.
  13. George

George

Supposedly NASCAR reaserch says the opposite about internal heat vs external heat

14. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

X2 this works great and I vote for a metal flake red engine

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. jazz1

jazz1

I would go red block,,or red with black highlights. Not black for sure,,makes it too dark to see under the hood...I painted mine blue 'cause that's the only colour high heat paint I had on hand that day,,,quite hideous IMO

[​IMG]

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Red motor and red interior would look good in a black car.

17. movingviolation

movingviolation

RED METAL FLAKE!!!

Now can you get Imron or mix it to flake?

18. n847

n847

Black if your gonna drive it! Black if you want it to look clean! Black...well Black!

19. n847

n847

I like to use the cast coat grey on accessories, to create an extra finish or texture on my stuff, and clear coat parts ther come cast finish. They will hold up forever water pumps, alternator cases, etc.

and I use any of the hight heat engine paints with success. Its all in the prep. Clean till you think its good enought then clean it 2 more times! Then use wax and grease remover and it will stick and last! I've used it with and with out clear...no noticeable difference in my opinion!

20. jimstro16

jimstro16

I painted mine tonight the old Buick/Chrysler color. I was deciding between this and gold. Just wanted something different than the same old black or screaming orange.

Attached Files:

21. RR496

RR496

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Damn, that really looks good that color. Subtle and classy looking.

Don

23. n847

n847

I agree thats a nice looking color...that being said if your gonna go custom, Gold is about my favorite!