Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9" Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YenkoNova, Aug 29, 2013.

1. YenkoNova

YenkoNova
    from Ohio

Have been looking around at different place's on eBay, for a Ford 9" Rear Disc Brake Conversion. Found a place on eBay called BCCP Brakes, and they are selling a Complete Rear Disc Brake Conversion for the 8 and 9 inch rear ends for $299.97. Is that a good deal? Seems like it too me! :) Whats your guy's opinions?

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Are these bolt on or weld? Complete with disk pads rotors and brackets.

3. Rochie

Rochie

Go to your local pick an pull and grab a set of 96/02 crown vic/ mercury marquis rear disc brakes. The are damn near a bolt on. The only thing you will have to get is a
    3in OD x 1/4 spacer to fit between the bearing retainer and the bearing. It takes up the slack when you use the caliper mount. Get the nuts and bolts("T" bolts) from the cr. vic as well

4. 36tbird

36tbird

I put discs on the back of two projects with 8" Fords. If I had it to do over I would have stuck with drums. Just sayin....

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

why is that?

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I personally can't see going to the expense of converting to disc brakes on the rear. Drums work very well. If you think you need disc brakes, look for a Lincoln Veresalle rear set up. They used a 9 inch with discs

7. rickl

rickl

I'd look at the crown vic swap. Be sure to check out the parking brake bits. I don't remember how to crown vic stuff works but it might take some work to use your existing parking brake handle.

8. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

If I'm not mistaken, some ford explorer rear disc brake assemblies will work also.

9. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

The Explorer brake set up was slightly different. It used a 2.5" spacing (IIRC) from the end of the housing to the axle flange, and it was only for the big Torino style ends.
    Brian

10. stimpy

stimpy

be carefull on some of the mercs/lincolns from the 70's that had them on the 9" as they have 2 different size rotors and last time I checked a pain to get parts for .

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Those would be the Mark series Lincoln and the Marquis. Not hard to get parts, little pricey, but 5 on 5 pattern. Can redrill to different pattern though

12. You can also try "ABS Power Brakes" and "ECI" (Engineered Components Inc). Iv'e ordered from both in the past and are good to deal with, not sure about their pricing? They both have rear disc kits available for Ford 9's. I know they make the components/brackets in house. The other kits on Ebay or from Speedway motors are most likely made in china. As mentioned, the Crown Vic set up will work. A buddy of mine did the swap, he said the Crown Vic parts (calipers, rotors) were way more money then the other kits which use GM parts and are cheaper when it comes time to buy replacement parts. The Crown Vic calipers I believe are dual piston. The GM's I think are single. If it's a street car, hot rod, street rod it shouldn't matter. If you plan on racing it maybe consider a dual piston set-up.

13. 36tbird

36tbird

40STD, The problems I have had are probably due to the set up I got. I went with the Seville calipers. The e-brake on them is notoriously difficult to adjust. I have it working on one of my vehicles now and it is OK. I am non-power and it stops but not any better than a disc/drum. The other one I have I just got running and have not broken the code on their adjustment yet and they are dragging badly. I read that because of the internal springs for the e-brake, you should use a 10# rpv instead of a 2#. I'm not sure that is correct.

14. 64 SS

64 SS

You can get a disc brake kit with slotted/drilled rotors with e brake for like 300 bucks. The right stuff @ summit racing. If you would like all new components.