Register now to get rid of these ads!

Todays youth NOT interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Go to a real car show..not a good guys or local cruise night...I mean one that caters to real...traditional hotrods....more than half of the cars there are owned and driven..hard...by young guys. Hot rodding isn't dying out...if anything its growing.

Like Zag wrote thats the way it is and thats the way of the future. Hot Rodding is not dead.
    Ronnieroadster

2. Annd here's the last one I got. My old boss' little brother Corey built this 60 Ranchero with his Dad. I think he's 16

Attached Files:

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

My 12 year old son loves old iron. He's into old hot Rods and classics. He has never once brought up or even took a look at imports or any of that crap when we go places. It's about how the kids are brought up that puts their intrest in that direction too. Since I can remember I was always around old bada$$ cars and Harley's, hence I love this hobby. My son has been around it just the same. He is following in the same path. That group of kids probly get the hobby out of a magazine which most now are filled with imports and newer stuff. They probly don't have family members in the hobby either. I think the hobby will be fine.

4. Benny_H

Benny_H

Im 27 and have been collecting parts since I was 16. Probably would have had at least 2 Model A's By now if I had knuckled down and got into it. But alas too many other cool things have come into my life and absorbed my precious few bucks. I don't see the Traditional of young guys/ or ladies for that matter, building hot rods in decline. In fact if history is anything to go by, There's gonna be a post recession EXPLOSION in the hot rodding community.

5. Not interested?!?!?!?!?!! More like not able to insure them legally.... that's all I gotta say about that bull.....

6. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

The picture of the two boys says it all.

7. Hot rodders dont give a fuck about ricers, but its a bummer ricers dont give a fuck about hot rodders?

I dont care what the ricers/new car tuners say though, they still dream about a classic, they just have always been told that American muscle and classics are the best, they generally agree, but are standoffish becuase they dont have one. Give props to some young guys tuner, and I bet you would here alot about how much they love your car.

I drive a 30yr old car everyday, its carbed, and I would have it no other way, I love it, I live for it, and there are a bunch of young guys around here with old rides too.

8. OldColt

OldColt

I don't hang around with a young crowd, but can tell one story that happened at a local Sonic Cruise-In a few years back. A bunch of young fella's were parked together with their ricers talking to each other and ignoring the other cars there. A Brightly painted 55 Chevy pulled in with it's supercharger whinning, the ground shaking, and rattling Sonic's and everybody elses windows. The young fella's beat a path to the Chevy when it parked. The owner lifted the hood that had a blower cutout in it. One guy asks about the motor, and is informed that it is a 612 cubic inch Stroker Big Block Chevy. They look puzzled until I tell them that is 10 Liters. They were really impressed using words like bad ass, radical, whoa dude, and such.

--- Steve ---

9. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Here's how I see it from my point of view (I'm 22).

<O:p</O:pI think a lot of young guys would be into old cars but the big thing that holds them back is that they have no one to help/guide them through it. Think of it, if you have no one (no father, no family, no neighbor, no friends that were into hot rods/classics) to help and/or guide you for building cars that they have never worked on(Or driven for that matter), it makes it very very hard to get going. Ya I know there is a lot of stuff on the internet but you never know what’s right and what’s wrong. Nothing beats advice from an experienced car builder. Think if you had to start with a non-running project and had no prior knowledge of building a car. Even though to you these may be easy, to someone that doesn’t have a clue, these can put a huge burden on the build and they haven’t even started yet.<O:p</O:p

1) Where do you start?<O:p</O:p
    2) What tools do I need to do these jobs? Where do I buy these tools? Which tools should I buy<O:p</O:p
    3) Where do you get parts? New? Used?<O:p</O:p
    4) What order do you go in?<O:p</O:p
    5) For far should I go? Frame off? Just get it running and driving? Strip all the paint?<O:p</O:p
    For guys getting into tuners, those questions don’t matter as much as restoring an old car. And to get those questions answered, they have lots of resources they can use.The other big one is, where do you work out of? Parents garage? Driveway? Street? Do you have more than just wrenches (welder, torch, air compressor, engine crane) If they don’t, that’s all money they could spend on their car but now just adds up in the final bill. There is a lot of obstacles young guys have to deal with but in the end is all do able. I’m sure a lot of young guys would love to own a big hp, hide roasting classic but in the end, it’s way easier and cheaper to buy the import. The young guys that had access to this help are the ones that usually have success. I am one of those lucky guys. I owe a huge thanks to my high school power mec teacher(mr348 on the hamb) that got me into cars and is still teaching me things all the time. PS, for all the old guys. When a young guy comes over to buy parts or a car from you and gives you a low ball offer, don’t be offended. $15 an hour doesn’t go far for a hot rodder. And for the young guys getting into it, nothing will ever beat driving your project for the first time after wrenching on it for so long. It doesn’t matter how much money, time, effort and anger went in to it, when you lay your first patch of rubber, you will know what I mean. <O:p</O:p
    Kris <O:p</O:p

11. dear raymond 1972...
    Don't expect to get extra credit in my class unless you post an intro. You will also be deducted points for not reading the forum rules before signing up. Remember the same rules we have in class still exist here for you as long as you are one of my students. Any violations will result in extra KP duty and possible essay assignments.
    Thank you from your awesome instructor...me

12. Deadbird

Deadbird

My 17 year old son simply loves his 62 Falcon, has dreams of one day owning a 62 T-Bird. He's a sucker for early 50s Oldsmobiles and is a pretty fair pinstriper. There is hope for the future.

13. I adore old rides just as much as everyone else here does which is why I come 'here' to get away from the people around me that arn't. I got so offended when a new friend of mine mentioned that investing in a project car is a ' Money Pit. ' Like its a waste of time.
    I could have told him the same with his nasty smoking habit but I didn't want things heating up. I just pouted the rest of the day wondering why I even waste time with this joke. And like some of you say, Here in my town all the kids drive ricers or monster trucks which is why I have difficulty getting along with any one. We're never on the same page.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, the truth is this convo has happened an indescribable amount of times over all my years exposed to this shit. 30s car guys thought the tri-5 Chevy guys hated old cars. 50s guys against muscle, muscle guys against IROCs and 5.0s, now it's everyone against tuners. In the end our stuff is going nowhere. It has been and always will be here to stay. Once I'm dead and gone? Nuttin I can do about it...

15. 63comet

63comet

I do run across plenty of guys that are simply gear heads. Got a daily beater that's a hopped up Honda, got an old muscle car for the strip, building whatever fun motorcycles they can afford, etc.... Just doin s little of everything.

Had a customer the other day that had an older hopped up truck as his daily, drag races a Honda, and was asking me about my Comet because he had a line on a cheap older Ford. He just likes cars.

This site has a narrow view. We're not going to get too many of the more well rounded folks on here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. This site is and has always been a traditional hot rod and custom site,,if you perceive that as a narrow view you may have missed the comments by Ryan's recent post.

In the coming weeks you and I will see the site staying truer to it's original commitment. HRP

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Actually had a rare experience a few months ago when some guy in a riced Acura told me "Cool truck!" at a red light. That was cool.

I just think that today's youth is conditioned to think that old classics are too expensive. I cut my automotive teeth on a GM G-body. Plentiful parts at the junkyard and fun to work on. Now that I'm older I can afford to fix up my truck. Who knows, maybe the young crowd will change when they're older and can afford to fix up old classics.

I'll add too, where I live there's nothing but gold-chainers. Hard to find younger hot rodders with like minds :mad:

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Different places have different car scenes and interest. One thing I might speculate is that traditional hot rodding could be dead if it wasn't for the Internet bringing like minds together.

19. birdman42

birdman42

This is my 17 year old niece Faith she is helping build a 322 nailhead for a 56 buick I am doing for a customer. She also drives an o/t 73 Nova that I sold her.

Attached Files:

20. What does "riced" mean? Is this something new? I call all Jap cars/bikes "rice".

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree. Values (read "desirability") will continue to climb long term.

Don, I have a lot of respect for you and HRP, but I respectfully disagree with this. I could go on and on about why, but will leave it at this:
    We are currently in a new golden age of the automobile.

Much better hp, better handling, braking, reliability, etc. almost across the board. How many 400+ hp production cars are out there that will, quite frankly, eat up the older stuff when it comes to performance?

HAMB friendly stuff will always have a special place in the hearts of us who grew up back in the day. For the new generation, of course, it's just another item on the menu, competing against some awesome entrees.

22. jazz1

jazz1

Like all hobbies or sports they must be introduced or inspired whether it is friend, family or media. They are not going to aspire to hotrods without someone generating some interest in the hobby

[​IMG]

23. 63comet

63comet

Didn't really mean it as a totally bad thing, but it is true.

If a guy is building a '53 Chevy cruiser, driving a '78 Ford pick up, and racing a '92 Mustang odds are if he wastes time on a forum it'll be one with a broader range of cars accepted.

I talk to folks that lurk this site but don't post because they love the info they can get here but don't neccesarilly buy into the philosophy. So be it. I've been a member for years but my post count has only recently started climbing. Partially due to that. It's Ryan's party so I have no issues with playing by his rules, I just recognize that it does exclude lots of car guys. Most hot rodders aren't interested in building museum pieces, they want to build hot rods.

I see lots of folks of all ages building all manner of cars. My complaint isn't with the forum. It's with the OP's assumption that people under a certain age don't like older cars.

24. justheman

justheman

Every time I step out to the garage to work on my T my 11 year old and 6 year olddaughters come with me and want to help! My 1 and a half year old son always wants to come too... They really enjoy it as do I!

25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

63comet makes some good points. I've been lurking around this forum since at least '02 but didn't have anything traditional so I just watched. I finaly signed up so I could see all the attched pictures that are blocked if you're just lurking. It wasn't until last year that I finally got my '35 ford and started posting so that I could build up enough post counts to get a serious question answered when the time comes. I'm on here reading everyday during my breaks and at lunch and sometimes in between. I love my Honda, I love my WRX, I love my Impalas and I love my '35 but I spend my time here 'cause you guys have the best projects on the net. I can bolt a japanese car together. Now it's time to weld a ford together. As for young guys, I'm 35 and I'm working on getting the really young guys on point right now.

[​IMG]

26. fsae0607

fsae0607

Oh no that's my damn iPhone autocorrect... Meant to say ricer.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a lot of full grown adults, with no drivers licenses, and with kids. Broken chain.

28. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I've had a series tuned Japanese cars, I still own a tuned miata. I am also coming to the end of my first hotrod build (does it ever end?) and a series one Landrover. I work on hi end vintage and classic for a living. I love all of them

Can't you just be a "car guy" anymore does it always have to fit into a box?

I'm 34 have been into cars my whole life into hotrods for 10 years or so building one for 3 years

29. Tank

Tank

Well, Im 28 now. But when I was 16 I bough my first old car. A 53 Mercury. At 17 I bought 2 more, a '52 Chevy Panel Truck, and parts of a '30 coupe that I gathered parts to for the next 10 years. A full blown 100% traditional Hot Rod. I know quite a few other car guys and girls in my age group that are hard core in to traditional cars.

30. I am 22 and im currently collecting parts for my 29 model a pickup. my motivation for going to work every day and studying hard at school to finish my degree is that old rusty model a pickup ive got sitting in the garage. it also happens to be all I think about while at work. my twin brother is the same way only his is a 29 coupe with a hemi. no lack of interest in this house!