Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have the Buick Blues today, Broke my car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justinsr, Aug 17, 2013.

1. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

coming home from the Woodward cruise last night Buick had a slight whine made a brief scraping grinding noise then POP and it then felt as if something was holding the car back.

Limped a hundered feet or so in to a parking lot and had it towed to my work.

Seems to go into gear and move forward and aft now, parked it in a space after the tow rig dropped it off.

I'm thinking maybe a rear brake came apart???

Could something more sinister be happening or am I looking in the right place at the brakes?

Trans or drive line issue?

Just venting frustration and looking for some advice.

Working seven days a week right now so time is almost impossible to find to repair it.

Thanks guys

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Sounds like the brake shoe lining may have come apart or separated from the rest of the brake shoe. When was the last time the brakes were changed or inspected?

3. chriseakin

chriseakin

I bought a truck several years ago that had been mostly sitting and making short trips for years. Took it out on the highway and there was a bang, then it slowed down like I had put the brakes on, then scraping noise. I limped it home, found out later the axle bearing had gone dry due to leaking seal and hitting the highway had been the last straw so to speak. Mechanic that fixed it took a long time just getting the drum off, then had to cut the bearing to get it out.

4. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Can someone tell me where I may be able to source a new rear end or parts for one. Thought it may be a wheel bearing but I am now convinced it is in the differential where the problem lies.

Haven't popped the cover off yet so I will know more when that happens but I'm of the thinking that the diff is toast

5. robertsregal

robertsregal

I know french lake in Minn has some 57 buicks in stock phone 320-274-8497
    Also windyhill New London Mn has 57 buicks in stock 800-398-0566 good luck!

6. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

DTS says they can not help

7. robertsregal

robertsregal

Do you have access to a garage get it up in the air, rotate wheels by hand see if you can detect noise, pull drums off inspect brakes. This rear axel has no inspection cover so you would need to remove rear axel assembly to remove carrier and inspect gears.
    do you have a service manual? You may have to get one ebay has had them. Twochops is in Michigan contact him,he may have some parts?Good Luck!

8. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

It is on a hoist at a friends house nothing at the wheels wrong, But if you hold one wheel with the car in drive once the rear end warms up for a few there is a noise coming from the pumpkin.

I have not yet heard it, I will be there tonight and will post what I hear.

I have a service manual.

9. robertsregal

robertsregal

So any word on your Buick ??

10. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Thanks for asking! I have been so busyvat work I have not had time to work on the Buick yet. Hopefully next week.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. You are a far more patient man than I am,,it's been almost two weeks and the problem is not really diagnosed or corrected,,man I couldn't get a good nights sleep with that hanging over my head!:D

12. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Hotrodprimer,

Its driving me completely crazy unfortunately I have nobother option. I have to work around my schedule and that of my friend who has the car on his hoist. It really sucks but what else can I do?

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Reminds me of a mild horror story when I first moved into my big shop.
    My '55 F100 had been making trips back and forth, pulling a 'pickup bed trailer', loaded with engines, trannys, axles, etc.
    No sooner did I get the last of it moved when I heard a 'popping' noise from the rear...I could feel it when it would occur.

Jacked the rear up, pulled the cap off the original Dana, and the spiders had shed some teeth.
    Needing the truck for a couple more days, (didn't have another F100 rear, and no time to convert to a 9 inch) I was forced to take drastic measures...

Cleaned out the diff case with an air-siphon sprayer, and good grade of solvent. Then some Tide soap and water...Squeaky clean.
    My old Lincoln arc welder made a single unit of the stripped spiders, effectively locking the rear end...(like we used to do in the 'old days')
    Black RTV on the cover, 90w gear oil, and I was back on the air!

Let me tell you what a launch it had after that...LOL... But turning it was a BEAR!
    Got me thru the rest of the month, 'til I installed the '60 F100 9-inch.

14. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Finally got some time to spin wrenches on the Buick tonight! Rear end and torque tube are out and I am happy to report that it is the driveshaft bearing that failed. What a bitch to get the shaft apart though! I am also going to replace the questionable ujoint while I'm in there and should be back on the road soon!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Finally got some time to spin wrenches on the Buick tonight! Rear end and torque tube are out and I am happy to report that it is the driveshaft bearing that failed. What a bitch to get the shaft apart though! I am also going to replace the questionable ujoint while I'm in there and should be back on the road soon!

16. It might be worth looking at getting rid of the tube and updating to a GM corp rearend.

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

And then what is he supposed to do about the trans ???

18. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Got new bearing and U joint yesterday should be back on the road Tuesday!

Plymouth1952 not worth the hassle to change rear end out to me but thanks for the suggestion!

19. robertsregal

robertsregal

Glad to hear its coming around to being on the road!

20. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

It is officially back on the road as of tonight! Big thanks gobout to my friend Al for letting me use his shop and all of the hard work he put into it!

Took the wife and baby out for a nice dinner and some ice cream tonight and it ran flawlessly. Most of the drive line vibe is gone and all of the shuddering under braking disappeared.

Surprised the wife got back in after her last ride!

Still have an exhaust leak to fix and some new shocks to find bur we are making progress.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Sounds like you are getin it worked out. Bitchin 57 man, they are so awesome with that 3 piece window and those bad ass ribs over the top and down the deck lid, enjoy man. ~sololobo~

22. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Thanks sololobo!

23. Did you change both U joints when you had the drive shaft out? HRP

24. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

I replaced the bearing and 1 ujoint . I did not see any other ujoint??? Is there one that does not come out with the shaft somewhere?

25. robertsregal

robertsregal

Glad to hear you are back on the road and crusin with the family.The bearing you replaced was this back at the rear axel carrier assembly by the ujoint, do you think a bad ujoint took the bearing ?

26. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

Yes it was back by the rear end and u joint. I suppose that could be the case but the u joint wasn't all that bad and I heard no noise from it prior to the bearing seizing.