Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia racing fans....what do you think....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottmech, Aug 29, 2013.

1. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

When you go to a nostalgic racing event, do you like to see the current modern TF front engined dragsters ......or would you like to see a class of cars more period correct, even if they ran slower?

How bout an exhibition class that match races, like the Geezer Gassers do with the gasser class?

Stupid idea...or something you'd like to see????

2. I'd like to see more period correct cars, but that IS how NTF started years ago. No matter how many times you start over, racers are racers and you can't put the genie back in the bottle....

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I like the HAMB drgsters

4. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Most of know how it started. That's been covered quite a bit, and where it's going has been covered as well. No need to reiterate. Not the purpose of this thread.

The genie was put in the bottle about 70, then let out in about 86, so why couldn't it be let out again??

The Geezers are racers, but they seem to be doing well match racing. Maybe there's some guys who'd like to do the same with TF cars.

Let's keep this thread simple. Like to see them or not?? Anyone else??

5. I like period correct cars. I don't give two hoots about TF. I like stuff normal folks built like the driveshaft dragsters, old gassers and altereds and FEDs. Gas is fine. Fuel doesn't matter. Was never tht interested in what millionairs could run. I like stuff built by the local guy who is on his game. We run at Picton Airfield Armdrop. There are a handful of us running FEDs, a few altereds and a few gassers. We run heads up, always. If it was to bother anyone it should be me as I have by far the smallest engine (246 cubes) It doesn't. We run for fun. The crowds are huge and we have a ball. Rocky and the group At Eagle Airfield run a similar deal. We have learned somehow to replace bigger louder faster shinier with just plain good.
    Don

6. I Drag

I Drag

Period correct appearing is always more appealing to me than strict performance. The so-called nostalgia TFs have the driver so high it looks like theyre standing up back there. Thats just me.

Why do you ask?

This thread will not appear after Sept 1.

7. 2racer

2racer

I think a period correct class running alky would be nice

8. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Totally agree with ya. I don't like the modern feds.

As to why I ask.. Seems like the TF dragster fields are getting smaller. Some guys seem to be getting pushed out by cost. Be nice to find a way for those that want to run nitro to stay in the game.

It won't happen...but it'd be nice if it did.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We have a group here in the Northwest that started in 1990, right after we sold our second car (Don Long car shown). They are direct drive and run blown alcohol, or injected nitro. They race heads up on a 7.50 index, and have fun doing it. The cars look period correct and put on a great show!

Attached Files:

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

If in going to a nostalgia event, I want to see period type cars. Seems like simple math.

11. This is really the answer to cheap thrills drag racing...

Build one!

Or better yet, get your buddies together and build two!

Sam

12. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

That's what I'm talkin about!!!!

Need some cars here in the southeast to do the same thing.
    If I could get a crew, I'd consider something like that. Just don't have the resounrces.

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give me the Winged Express anyday.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I vote for period correct cars.

There are many different associations and groups putting on Nostalgia Drag Racing events across the county and they are growing in popularity with each event.

A number of years ago the NHRA had an event at Bristol and the people in power thought it would be a could idea to see if they could find some of the old Pro Stock cars from the late 60,s and early 70,s to put on a half time show and be on display.

When these old Pro Stocks cars showed up and made a few match races runs the spectators went wild and that's when the promoters realized they just might be on to something here running the old period correct cars instead of the newer ones.

It's just my opinion but I believe they should start listening to the fans as this appears to be what people want to see.

Jimbo

15. there is a reason the cars no longer look the same its because they were not as safe as a modern car. as the speeds went up the cars needed to change. just look at nascar with the cars they run. if you think racing would be cheaper by going slower your crazy. the built in costs will always be there. gas,food insurance,certifications etc. then there are parts issues. the alum and billet blocks and heads can be repaired. the iron gets tossed. been there done that. racing is not a cheap sport period. i prefer the big nitro 260 mph passes.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We started a group with "Hamb Style" Dragsters up here a few years ago, I built 3 of the 5 cars we have presently.

Attached Files:

17. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I agree with most of the above comments, however; driver's sitting high in a FED does not have to be, wings are for traditional altereds pre-70's, a 200 MPH Winged Express pass with nitro filling the air has a kool factor beyond any speed approaching the 300 MPH mark. You want to see a 300 MPH pass, go watch the the pro's which is great, however; I think the "SPIRIT" of nostalgia racing is being lost and just has be redirected.... No wings except on altereds and gassers who run gas for fuel with the nose sitting high.....

18. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

No argument there, but I didn't ask why modern fuelers look that way. That's all ready been discussed in other threads. I asked what the average joe/fan would like to see more. Course this is the HAMB...so the results may be skewed a bit..

Depends on the type of racing being compared. I started the thread mainly with TF in mind...so you may be right comparing current TF with a lesser class of TF. But seems like a lot of guys on here would also like to see alcohol/gas cars too....as long as they were period looking.

So lets compare the TF to lower class cars that the other guys would like to see run. I doubt the guy I saw running an injected 392 mid length dragster running in 7.0 pro (which I'd rather see run than TF.....and others in this thread seem to leaning toward), has the same cost as TF. I will admit as to not having a dragster....so that's just an un educated guess.

Maybe Marty could chime in here.. I know in another thread, there was a guy selling a complete TF operation for 95K. Be interesting to see how much Marty has in his operation...

There it is....the answer to the original question.....lol
    Thanks for the input.

19. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Marty, mind if I cantact you off line? Been thinking about building something like these. Would like to get some advice...

20. I say, "Enough of the dang Cackel Fest!". Drive those bad ass rails down the track.:D

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sure, send me a PM with a regular email address, that would work the best for me. And as far as the HAMB style cars, the beauty is you can build a mild steel car that will cert at 7.50. I had thoughts of having several combinations to run, with the shorty body, or drop on a"T" or Bantam roadster, maybe a Topolino. As far as engines, I have an injected small block to swap in place of the 6 for different occasions. Let you imagination run wild, mine usually does!

22. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

That's exactly what I'd be interested in, as that's within my capabilities.

23. dmc3113

dmc3113

There is a group here in the SE called Southern Slingshots. Check their website: www.southernslingshots.com

24. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Totally forgot about them......damn.
    THANKS!!

25. Keep a couple current modern TF front engined dragsters so I can go take a leak when they run and not miss anything. Kinda like when a classic rock band is in concert and they say, "And now a song from the new album" and everybody gets up to go buy a beer.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

We were at Quaker City in Salem, OH this spring and these guys were there. They put on a good show with good looking cars. No leakers or broke down crap.

I don't know if they just come to race or were a booked in attraction.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Scott,
    Come to The Gear Jam at Commerce, on Sept. 28.
    I'm putting it on, and I think it's what you're looking for.
    Check out my rules at www.gearjamdrags.com

It's heads-up, and everyone will be paired with the car closest to their ET so it's going to be tight racing.

As a promoter, you have to find the balance between car count and nostalgia. I don't want the modern interpretations of Altereds with bullet noses or gassers with wings.

-Brad

28. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

After particapating in the nostalgia race at Pacific Junction last weekend as part of the Nostalgia Gasser Group.We ran our runs with a flagman start no scoreboards to show E.T.s and the crowd seemed to really like the old style match race format not knowing the actual E.T. did not detract one bit the crowd wants to see wheels up starts and bang shifts.My thoughts are show E.T.s on time slips to the drivers so they can tune there cars but no score boards until the finals that would make more of the cars seem competitive. Just a thought.

29. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Brad..I had planned on being there long ogo...lol
    Probably be skipping the ATL10k.....now that they confirmed the test and tune regulars will be there on Fri night (17 sec Civic run anyone??), and the sportsman guys will be running on Sat. Nothing like seeing a late model Mustand/Camaro/sportsman RED or Hyabusa run to ruin the nostalgia feel...

I actually met you at Canton......I'm Waynes freind with the Fiat.

Actually convinced Wayne to spend the $15 to camp out...lol

Really looking fwd to it, as well as the cruise in the night before.

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Oh shit, I know that bad-ass car!!! I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that thing run!!!
    You had sent me pics of it for the first go-around that got canceled, and I showed it to my son (who you also met), and he was blown away by it too.

-Brad