Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chris Ito's 49 Merc 'vert is it...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JK, Sep 4, 2011.

1. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Chris simply amazing makes me hate that I missed the show also

2. Could this car be in this picture from 1958 on the right hand side?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

3. [/QUOTE]

John,

I did not notice your post until today. I inserted a rear 3/4 view of a recent photo I took of the Merc and inserted in the photo you found. I cannot be sure, but it sure could be a possibility. You have a good eye! where did you find this picture?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. I don't remember now, there is a thread on here that had that pic, maybe about a track or something. I think even without zooming in on the old pic it's pretty clearly your car.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

6. Thanks for posting this John! I would have never found that picture.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Exactly what part of this car is '49 Mercury?! hahaha Man, for such an over the top custom, this things is amazingly subtle and cool....I'm guessing Ito had a lot to do with that regardless of the car's history.

8. Ha ha! Thanks Jim, I know exactly what you mean. The first time I saw this car whe it was in tinted primer I had no idea what it was. As far as I can tell, the only carry over 49 Merc components are the front bumper and the gauges, although the gauges are set into a highly modified dash panel. The real credit for the 'Vision' goes to Reno and Ray Paretto, I am only the lucky care taker.

9. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

we are so excited to see this car come to the Iron Invasion.
    Thanks for committing to the show Chris!

Now...if I could only get someone with a STOCK '49 Merc to set NEXT to the Mystery Merc....
    THAT would be cool.

Anyone out there have a stock '49 Merc that could come to the Iron Invasion?

And if you don't know about the Iron Invasion it will be the season ending bash in the Chicago land area.

Oct 6 and the pre party is Oct 5.
    Camping is available for both nights.
    Security is provided overnight for Friday night/Saturday morning.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. John,

I did not notice your post until today. I inserted a rear 3/4 view of a recent photo I took of the Merc and inserted in the photo you found. I cannot be sure, but it sure could be a possibility. You have a good eye! where did you find this picture?
    Thanks![/QUOTE]

I see this thread bumped up. I think you can assume with near certainty that your car is in that older picture. Is that the oldest pic of the car you have seen?

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

The fact that it started life as a 49 merc blows my mind

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  12. VanHorton

VanHorton

Just saw this car in issue 30 of Rod and Kulture... Holy shit... mind blowing for sure. Chris, or anyone else, do you have pictures of the chassis where it was bolted together? Id love to see that piece of engineering... glad to see another beautiful custom from back in the day being preserved and driven.

13. bustingear

bustingear

Chris another fine ride to the stable. You have a knack and an eye for the good ones.
    My 28 is almost done. I am now wiring. Pictures soon.
    Dennis

14. VanHorton, I was doing a little work today in my shop so I took a couple of pics. Sorry for the poor quality, but I tried to get a few of the areas that show the modifications and the bolted in reinforcments. The frame rails have been sectioned to thin up the cross section so the frame was not visible from the side view, then a 1/4 or 3/16" beam section was bolted in. I have not taken exact measurements of stock Merc frame but I think it is sectioned 1.5-2", I was told the 'Z' to the frame was approximately 6" I think it might be 5", but who's counting!
    Some of the details in the article were not correct, so don't go by what you read, for example, the body section is more than 1.5", probably a typo since it is closer to 4.5" It is really noticable when I park next to a stock Merc.The article has a small photo of a stock but lowered 51 Merc next to the Mystery Merc for comparison.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. Thanks Dennis, I am looking forward to seeing your 28. I am in the process of wiring up one of mine as well, I hope to have it on the road next month.

16. I see this thread bumped up. I think you can assume with near certainty that your car is in that older picture. Is that the oldest pic of the car you have seen?[/QUOTE]

John, Sorry for the late reply, I am not on the board real often these days. I just noticed this post bumped up again and started reading it. I have several early photos dating back to approximately 1952 when they first started sectioning the convertible. This one is a classic, check out the dirt floor and the 51 behind it. It is pretty amazing to think they started cutting up a three year old Merc convertible!

Attached Files:

17. VanHorton

VanHorton

wow, thanks for the info and pics... I had a feeling it was sectioned more than the article said it was. So much work went into that car its amazing, I am so glad it it still on the road and the builders are getting the recognition they deserve. takes balls of steel to do that work in the driveway like that too..

18. I received a stack of photos with this car, the first car the brothers built makes the Merc look like a mild custom in terms of the amount of body reconstruction. There are a lot of little things that need some attention, but much of the heavy lifting is done.

I found a pic of a stock Merc frame in another thread, I did my best to illustrate what I 'think' was done to the chassis section and the 'Z' at the front and back. The floor at the door opening is still flat, it is channeled behind the seats and front toe board, so the legroom is not compromised. It has a Cadillac seat in it now that should have been cutdown, but it is not, so the steering wheel to seat cushion is really tight.

Attached Files:

19. I will be there with my 50 Merc for ya! I already talked to John Wells and they are going to rope the two together inside. I also have a couple models that might try to do a "classic" vs. "modified" shoot with the cars.

Josh

20. Bump. I think the car in the vid is your car or that Ida Mae car with the stretched rear quarters...

Anyhoo... I know of a few Merc guys around Chicagoland, any interest in trying to meet up sometime? I'll send a few PM's to see.

21. John,
    I missed your post from several months back. Thank you for postingthis video. I think you are right, that really does look like the Mystery Merc. We do need to meet some time. I am working on a mild custom right now, it is based on a 58 Skyliner.
    Thanks again for finding and posting that video!

22. Can you pm an email so I can work on a Merc gathering in Chicago, like a lunch, next year.