Register now to get rid of these ads!

Todays youth NOT interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Aug 27, 2013.

1. punk-rodder.uk

punk-rodder.uk

Thank for posting I allway want to learn more defiantly caught the fab bug, I will order it when I get paid, libraries won't have it over here

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

most kids are with single moms
    rental property
    no parking
    where they going to work on cars ?

3. The student responses I posted yesterday were from my evening class. Here are responses from my morning classes. __________________________________________________________________________
    Why is my opinion so important to you.
    I love older cars, just don’t expect me to come and shake your hand because you drive one.
    I like all types of cars, just not a hater like you.
    I believe older cars are making a comeback.
    I love older cars but most young people just don’t understand them because they were not raised with them.
    Most kids my age love old cars, yours must have really sucked.
    I like old lowered anything.
    I like them all.
    These newer cars are pieces of crap. They’re just like Hot Wheels, made out of plastic.
    The youth are not concerned about what other people think and will continue with this hobby.
    I don’t know much about old cars but a 50 ford sounds cool.
    Old Fords suck drive a Chevy!
    You have your taste, others have theirs. Both need to just focus on the car.
    Why do old people complain about us playing games and also complain about us working on cars. I like old ,new and between. Get over it!

4. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

I think it depends who you talk too. My 32 Ford draws a lot of interest with the under 20 crowd. I am keeping the faith.

BC

5. Raymond_1972

Raymond_1972

Ok obviously your Fords aren't that good. I have a 1972 Chevelle Malibu just an old stock car and I catch peoples attention all the time. People of all ages turn to look at it cause it stands out it's not like everyone else's cars/trucks. Plus it's loud so that gets their attention also. Maybe it's not the hobby, maybe it's just your vehicles. I would suggest painting it like something nobody has ever seen and also make it sound good. It doesn't have to be loud just has to stand out. If I go to a car show and see a stock Ford that has been restored and there's a freaking beefed up Chevelle or anything really I'm going to it over the ford cause it stands out in a crowd.

6. RatPin

RatPin

no doubt! sounds like the OP is in it for the wrong reasons. maybe the kids here can teach YOU something.

7. Results from the un-scientific research on the topic of “ todays youth not interested “ . After reading the results of 58 auto repair student on this subject here are the official findings

Students remarks are similar to HAMB members . Some are funny, some are smart a$$ and some are insightful.
    The majority really dig old cars
    Most don’t understand the concept of year of make restrictions placed on old cars such as pre 49, pre 65 ect.
    To them, old school also includes fox body Mustangs and square S10s
    Most of them state that their dream car is an older vehicle.
    A surprisingly large number of them work on cars at home and prefer this over video games
    Most wanted to learn more about older vehicles
    Most don’t know the difference between a hot rod, street rod, and a rat rod.
    Most feel that anything modified is cool no matter if its old, new, JDM, lifted, bagged ect.
    Most like loud exhaust.
    Many of them come from homes that may not be as good as ours was.( this one is our generations fault)
    Young folks today are just as annoying, amazing, and curious as most of us were when we were that age. They just have better ways of recording their stupidity than we did.

Conclusion…. The old car hobby is in good hands, but like all things it will change. Will your 32 still bring mega bucks 20 years from now ? Who knows . If that’s your biggest concern then your reasons for “interest” in this hobby may need to be questioned.

8. 3spd

3spd

I've withheld commenting on this for awhile but its lived long enough so I figure I will put me 2 cents in...

First off; I am 21 and have been interested in older cars since I was 15.

I just punched some numbers, lets say you are 16 and want to save up and buy your first car; Assuming you could find a full time job for the summer and make minimum wage. In Oregon that is $8.95, so 40hrs/week X $8.95 X 12 weeks =$4,296 . And you spent your whole summer working and you want a car to drive, so really what are your options for cars? Tell me what running/driving traditional hot rod can you buy for that little. AND you still have to pay for gas and insurance. Heck tell me what hot rod you could having driveable in a year for that little.

I know its possible to do but damn, especially if none of your family is interested in cars and you have to buy all your own tools.

Its not like 1970 when a junky 20 year old car was a 1950 Ford Shoebox and there was a mom and pop mechanic on every corner. A junky 20 year old car today is a 1993. What cool car was there in 1993?

Cut us some slack, there are plenty of young guys interested we just can't afford it yet. We have to hot rod what we can get our hands on and today that is mostly crap from the 90's. Its your guy's fault you didn't make better hot rod material in the 90's.

Rant over.

Ryland

9. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Well guys I am going to spend over 27 hours in my truck this weekend driving to Chicago to meet a fellow hamber to get my coupe. Its a fully disassembled 29 sports coupe. I have been working insane hours, every side job I can find, and selling a lot of things I have collected over the last few years. I am 24 years old and am heavier in to this than I have been in to anything else in my life. If it takes me the rest of my life I going to build this car and drive it. None of my friends are in to hot rods, but that just means none of should ask for a ride lol

10. Muttley

Muttley

People who arent interested in Hot Rods dont interest me.........next time drive on by and dont give it a second thought. In fact, I'd feel fortunate if I were you.........you didnt have to stand around for twenty minutes answering a bunch of dumb questions.

11. 2racer

2racer

just remember when they ask "what year is it", say 2013

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

What do you mean what happened?? I will tell you what happened, the 50s came and went. Todays kids modifying Imports and new Fords and Chevys are doing the same thing kids were doing back in the 50s, modifying cars. Except it's 2013 and a new century so whether the kid chooses a 10 year old car or a 60 year old car, the interest is still there..

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Not sure where you live but a lot of the young kids around here are into cars. My next door neighbor was putting an acura engine in his civic. Yes not old US iron but they are interested non the less. I walked over there and strated helping out even though I know nothing about Honda's. Met some nice young men. Don you have too make an effort to meet people, neighbors and non neighbors.It's their generation not ours. New cars that are not exciting. Turbo imports AWD cars. GT 5.0's. Alot of older 5.0 running around. , Camaro's Challengers and Chargers. Vette's and Vipers...You can't tell a Buick from a Toyota or Ford?

14. everything on the road looks the same except the badging

a gas can or a strofoam cup on wheels ( pick one )

its just missing that flare to it, like personality or character ...

everyone i know is into newer models at where you just jump in and go ...

im more into having something that not everyone has ..... vintage iron

15. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

WORD! agree with you 100%

16. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

ever heard of the EPA?

17. JLB3

JLB3

I'm a 26 year old engineer and have recently found an interest in old fords. I'm tearing down an old 37 ford pickup to make it a 'sunny weather' driver. I started back in February and its been an absolute blast tracking down old parts etc...

The one thing that really bugs me how some younger builders take modern chassis and slap a old body on it. For example, an S10 chassis with a early ford pickup. To me...something is wrong with this picture. Its supposed to be a hot rod, not a new car with a old body. Embrace early design concepts and tweak them to meet todays standards!

18. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

That's why you get a daily driver first, and start saving your money. Make friends with all the older hot rodders in your area. Listen to what they have to say. Be respectful and helpful towards the generations that started and carry on this tradition and they will be more than happy to help you. Most of my friends are in their 40s and 50s.

19. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Well said

20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good posts and well found opinions. My kids (now in their early 30's) remember riding in my 38 coupe, behind the seats, in a parade and going to town for ice cream. That car hasn't ran under it's own power since the mid 80's but....maybe next year that will change. They want their kids (my grandkids) to experience the same thing, now how that will work with no seat belts because there is no seat, not sure how that's going to work:) My son is not a car guy, he drives some VW sporty car with a turbo charger now, but when I croak, he wants the 38, my son in law isn't a car guy either but wants me to chop the top on the coupe so he does have some interest. On the other hand about 20 years ago I had a really nice black 58 two door Biscayne Chevy, and had to drive one of the daughters friends home, this little snip didn't want to be seen in an "old car" and got down on the floor so no one would see her. I guess all kids are different.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  21. Zaq

Zaq

Maybe if there weren't so many amazing cars that us "young guys" could have...but instead are held up in a garage,barn, or field somewhere..because the old geezer who owns it claims.." oh its not for sale..I'm going to get to working on it someday..."

Go to a real car show..not a good guys or local cruise night...I mean one that caters to real...traditional hotrods....more than half of the cars there are owned and driven..hard...by young guys. Hot rodding isn't dying out...if anything its growing.

22. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think people need to remember that this has always been a small number of people in this hobby. If you separate out the guys who are into concours restorations, sports cars, exotics, muscle cars, mini trucks and Asian cars, you are down to a very small percentage that dig trad rods even in the street rod crowd. Of the guys I know, there are guys that collect sports stuff, bikes, love to hunt and fish, camping, boating, airplanes and even a guy who collects old type writers. If one young guy or gal in 10,000 likes old cars, there won't be enough to go around.

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I actually think this hobby is as alive and cooking as much as it's ever been, if not more so than ever before! The quantity of hot rods on the road seems to be growing, vendors of reproduction car bodies and parts are growing every day, car shows and cruise-ins are popping up everywhere, etc. I think this "problem" isn't a problem whatsoever.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There were a lot more car guys at Bonneville this year than there used to be. But the point i wanted to make is that when I was young (Golden age of Hot Rodding, I think) we not only didn't have smart phones, X boxes, and Computers but we didn't have TV. And when we did get it there was very little that interested a young man. Think of how much free time kids had. Those days are gone forever.

25. the internet has helped out alot throughout the years

making information, tips, help, resources, etc .... more available to this generation and the ones for the future ....

26. anyone can start something start to finish w/ the knowledge and know how at where to look ....

27. mramc1

mramc1

I'm a relatively young guy at 35, but have been building since I was 15. I also couldn't wait to get my license, have always had a car that I paid for, fixed, insured etc. I go to four cruise nights a week. All the people I hang out with are 50-75 years old. The very few younger people I see show up have '80s on up cars and tuners. The select few younger people that are on the HAMB is a flash in the pan compared to the millions of 18-30 year olds in the US today.
    I don't think the automotive hobby is going to die out ever, but it's going to change dramatically in 20 years IMO. There will always be a few people interested in prewar cars, but after the baby boomers are gone I feel there will be a huge surplus of great older cars that no one will want. It happened when the brass era guys all died out. Where did all those cars go? Things appear to me to have already started to swing from hot rods and street rods to muscle cars and newer cars. In 20 years am I going to be driving the only Model A to a cruise night filled with 2010 Mustangs and Subarus? I hope not, but I think so.
    Kids that have no interest in owning a car (much less even driving!) aren't going to suddenly wake up and want a cool hot rod. People want and identify with what they had and saw growing up. For the older guys it's prewar stuff. For the boomers it's '50s and muscle cars. The current generation will be into '90s stuff and tuners. Sad, but unfortunately probably true.
    My Dad would tell me stories of so and so that had a cool hot rod he saw in town and how his friends had hot muscle cars. The average kid today is going to identify with the WRX he saw blasting away from the school parking lot because that's all he sees in day to day life. I work at a university that has over 5000 vehicles a day parked at it. I drive my old cars almost every day to work. Besides my A's and Studebaker truck there are about 10 vehicles older than 1990 at my school. The oldest is a rotted out '67 Dart GT a student owns. That's it! Most cars are 2005 on up. The freshman all drive "old cars" that are newer than both of my "new" 1998 daily drivers/winter rides. Unfortunately, the times, they are a-changin'.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread. But if a youngster does stumble on this site and is foolish enough to buy an old car and ask for advice, he can depend on getting a full load of sarcastic remarks, bad advice, jokey answers, and generally get treated like a turd in a punch bowl. If he talks back, he will be banned.

What a way to encourage the young generation.

29. Yeah Rusty.
    Ditto what you said above in previous post. I usually try for something positive or a simple compliment when someone new comes on the scene to show their project or to ask questions...

If the newbies wanted abuse, they could join the f_____g military! They are professional chicken shits!!!

Just sayin...

30. My buddy Justin and I are trying to get this going. 63 Fairlane, was gave to him by his Dad. Haven't worked on it yet because he works for his Grandpa on their farm and drives a powerstroke diesel..he's my age.

Attached Files: