Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trouble fitting Fenton Headers to '40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D Staig, Aug 29, 2013.

1. D Staig

D Staig

I'm fitting some Fenton Headers i bought from Speedway to my '40 coupe, but the left side won't actually fit, its fouling with the steering box. Looks like it needs about an extra 1/2 inch of clearance. My front engine mounts are pretty worn so the motor might be sitting a little lower than it should be, but even if i replace the mounts i think it will still be a very tight fit.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Dave, they should fit but are real tight. I have only used the original Fentons so I don't know about Repos. Since your car is stock I would see if you could raise the motor a little in the front. I will look up a photo for you.
    Lynn

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Definitely tight...but should go in. What steering box are you using ? I'm using a Vega in my '40, and have about 1/2" clearance.

4TTRUK

4. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Sell the fentons and call red's headers.

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Some guys have resorted to milling the mounting flanges a little bit, too. Might have to grind a bit off the header at the point of interference. Really it takes a combination of all the above to make clearance.

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Not sure if you saw my Instagram response yet.....

Make sure you have your chatter rods installed and tightened. I was in the same boat as you with the just the engine and trans resting in place. I was almost to the point of milling the flanges to gain more clearance before finding out the engine was naturally resting too far forward.

7. D Staig

D Staig

Thanks Lynn! I've swapped the mounts for new ones but its still too tight...

8. D Staig

D Staig

Hey Cory, yeah i got your instagram reply this morning, i really appreciate it. I have chatter rods installed. Funny i was thinking of milling the flanges and shimming the motor last night...I've just had a quick look now and it seems the motor might be off centre to the left by about 3/16 of an inch (5/8 difference total). I guess centring the motor would be my next port of call...