Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proud New Owner of a Model A RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

This little gem got dropped off at my shop this afternoon.... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was actually a Craiglist find... It's technically not a "real" roadster pick-up cab, someone cut down a car body I beleive- but they did a half-way decent job at it.

The cab/doors/cowl/floors are basically done, need a little cleaning up and has to be properly fit and bolted down... The bed is still original, and needs some patch panels here and there, but all in all a very solid bed coming from NH..

Stock Model A running gear and everything, guy never really tried to get the motor going, but it is free so hopefully I can get it going. Transmission looks pretty clean inside, haven't checked the rest out thoroughly yet.

Aside from what's on the car in the picture, I also got two spare radiators, two more grille shells (one 28/29 re-pop, and one 30/31), the steering box/column/wheel from the car, couple more steering columns and spare parts for a box, some interior panels, a couple spare starters and generators, a spare Model A frame with a set of flathead motor mounts in it, and a set of four '40 Ford wheels with hubcaps and beauty rings.

Not entirely sure what my plans are yet, it'll be a long term project (going to keep it banger powered though)... I do love the looks of this RPU though:

[​IMG]

(Wish I could find a couple more pictures of this one...)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. flat34pu

flat34pu

very kool.
    rich

3. kein

kein

That's just plain cool!

4. joee

joee

Great deal

5. louisb

louisb

Awesome score. What's the plans for it?

--louis

6. RFH1931

RFH1931

Nice ride.
    Wheel change and top made it just right !

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice. I like the 50's bomber look. 1935 wheels are a nice touch on completed one. Thanks for posting...keep us updated. I have some original "A" parts cheap. I will send you a private message.

8. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Sweet Score! I have to start expanding my craiglist searches to out of state!

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. Great looking piece,,i think you got a good deal. HRP

11. Sweet. You did good!

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks guys!

Plans are to keep it banger powered, maybe go to a downdraft carb, high comp. head, and header, but that'll be a ways down the road...

Was thinking of switching to hydraulic brakes, but after reading some more, I might re-build the stock mechanical brakes instead..

Definately keeping it fenderless, '35 style wire wheels, and perhaps some big and little shoes to give it some rake like the one in the picture...

Wonder how hard it would be to build a top like that one?

13. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Well it's obvious it's in good hands if that's the build style you're goin for. Tops really make RPUs in my opinion. Might consider making some cuts at the base of the windshield and lean it back a hair. JohnnyA

14. 562roadster

562roadster

Love rpus

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. I like your plan. the only thing i'd add to it is grafting on actual roadster windshield posts

16. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

great buy!! i love rpu's!! great company for the stock car

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I couldn't agree more about tops making an RPU... Really sets them off in my eyes. I think your advice about tilting the windshield back a hair is a good idea to- a little bit too square right now!

Happen to have anymore pictures of your RPU?? Happened to find this thread... Looks like we have the same inspiration: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520821&showall=1

I think you're onto something there... Might be a project, but would probably look better in the end.

18. Benny_H

Benny_H

That's really cool. Keepin' it as is or a few tweaks? I like it as it is, but a hot rodder is a hot rodder. I mean I shaved the head on my lawn mower...... Just for sh*ts.

19. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Here's some more inspiration...

[​IMG]

One of my absolute favs! JohnnyA

20. Cool score, I also love RPU's and the one above is way cool indeed. Will keep an eye on this build. JW

21. mrdodge

mrdodge

Great buy !!! Over here, you would be lucky to get the body alone for under $3g !!

22. jmpowie

jmpowie

Nice RPU I saw that on Craiglist a few weeks ago. They never showed a good pic of the back of the cab, I was wondering what had happened back there. Maybe I will see you on the road, I am in Somersworth NH.

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I hear ya... I think thats the reason it stayed on the for a couple weeks- he said I was the first picture to actually call him about it. For some reason he never said that it came with a nice pickup bed along with it.... Thats what sold it for me.

The back of the cab is a fairly decent job- not quite how Ford would do it, but it's solid and not just pop-riveted together like some people's creations :rolleyes:

24. windsurf88

windsurf88

Nice I saw that one on C/L glad to see someone got it that will build it right.

25. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

congrats on the RPU

26. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Rolled it outside today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]