Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc fadeaways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Aug 25, 2013.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

Anyone on here taken out the hump on the doors on a 51 Merc?
    Any "in progress" piccies appreciated.
    Can you do the fadeaway from the front of the door continuing the full length of the rear quarter panel without raising the profile of the front wings
    Do you cut the metal out and weld or weld onto it?
    Thanks
    Neil

2. 49dreamer

49dreamer

3. DjNeil

DjNeil

I'm impressed
    I've marked out my first thoughts.
    I'm thinking of finishing the fadeaway at the back of the rear window and match its profile then continue at the normal quater panel height but that 51 Merc link has got me thinking.
    What do you think.follow the blue tape
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. If you are going to do fadeaways they need to go right to the back in one straight line. Doesn't make any sense to basically just put a smaller dogleg in further down the car IMO.

5. DjNeil

DjNeil

I take your point and had that conversation with myself today.Tomorrow I am taking the tape to the back of the fender skirt, the next day right to the back and will settle on one.
    I might just do one side and drive it around like that and see if anyone notices.
    The Hirohata Merc stops short of the fender skirts but not a lot of point copying that.
    I never noticed the hump when building it (27 years ago) and wish I had.
    [​IMG]

6. Yes but on the Hirohata it curves down to match the curve of the scoop in the fender so the line of the front fender is continued right down to the bottom of the rocker. It doesn't just drop off at some random point along the side of the car.

7. DjNeil

DjNeil

My intention was not to have a random point it stopped at but to finish at the back of the rear side window and to match the window profile for the distance down to the quarter panel.
    I have tried it today and lined it up with the bottom point of the rear screen but that does look random.
    I have now continued it right to the back of the car and i'm not getting on with the angle of the slope and the new height of the rear quarter panel. It may just be the colour of the tape that is distracting me so will try another
    Thanks
    Neil

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Are you dead set on getting rid of this unique Merc feature?
    Is there a way I can talk you into keeping it? lol...

9. rztrike

rztrike

I agree with keeping this unique feature. Just had this conversation with a well known car guy a few days ago. Its what makes it a Merc.

10. R Pope

R Pope

Make your Merc look like a Hudson.......

11. DjNeil

DjNeil

No what you mean about the hump being part of what makes a merc a merc.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. DjNeil

DjNeil

I won't do it for the sake of it. I still like the fadeaway to the rear of the side window but may live the fantasy in my head. I haven't done anything other than clean this car since 1994 and fancy getting to know it again.

13. teejay99

teejay99

I'm with the "leave it alone " crowd .....why un-Merc a Merc ?

T

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

I actually liked your first idea, but I am with the "why mess with it" crowd. The full fadeaways to me make the whole car look fat and the slop of the line looks more random to me than the dogleg.
    I have never seen one with the rear quarter line raised to make it a straight, rather than sloping, line but that might be sharp? (Perhaps someone can photoshop it on the "Photoshop Thread to end all Photoshop Threads" thread?)

15. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Kind of the point of customizing.

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Exactly

17. [/ATTACH]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  18. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I'm part of the DON"T DO IT crowd, why take away the character lines that made you like the car, moulded door handles, hood and deck lids just smooth things out, but when you do bad ass grills and ugly multi head lights just mess up perfection....

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. If it's something you've always wanted to do with your Merc, then go for it. If you're on the fence about it, I say keep the fadeway as is (or dogleg as I've heard it called before). I personally think removing it makes the car look more 'generic' and less interesting.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There's a lot of "conflicting lines" in the side of that Merc posted by JeffSled.. Plus, the rear quarter panel fender appears taller than the front fender. And then, there's the mismatched trim. The profile of the car does not flow smoothly, as it should in a custom.

21. atomickustom

atomickustom

Only if you make a car look BETTER. Making a change just for the sake of making a change is never a good idea.

22. [/ATTACH]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

JeffSled, Is that a real photo of a real car. Looks like a "diarama".

24. teejay99

teejay99

At the end of the day , it's your car and you are entitled to make any changes you wish .

I just think there are certain characteristics of particular cars that make the car in the first place ......like why cut the fins off a Caddy , or why take the signature split Pontiac grille and make it one ? Yeah , it's customizing ...but !

T

25. alchemy

alchemy

That's the "first" Merc, midway through it's restoration.

26. I prefer them how they are. but if you want to do it ont let anyone stop you! Be yourself!

27. Real car in a full size diorama.

28. Oh really ? What mercury would that be ?

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Or remake a split window Corvette into a single piece glass.