Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Mine is neither Dodge nor Plymouth, but Chrysler & DeSoto. From what I'm reading about door latches on here I'm beginning to think it might be wise to go to a bearclaw latch? Am I overreacting? There possibly won't be external door handles on my project "EsTodo" and I really don't want to wind up smashing a window out or kicking a door open. Is this a rare occurance or is it common with these mid century Mopars?

2. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

I'm trying to locate a source for a replacement or rebuilt fuel tank for a 1956 Belvedere 4 dr with 277 V8 and Power Flite Trans.

3. 54below

54below

I recently acquired a 56 Coronet with a 315 poly. I'm looking for resolution to the push button transmission issue i'm having. IT seems to stay in reverse and none of the other buttons will engage. I've never dealt with a push button set up so i'm not sure how to correct this. Also, being that it's stuck in reverse and running the motor for a few minutes will this cause the transmission to blow fluid out of the dipstick? Never seen that happen before either... I'm confused, I know somebody has the answers I need. HELP ME! Thanks in advance

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Try to find a dash from a 55 Dodge.. those have the lever on the dash.. and No Push buttons.. Im pretty sure you will need all the Linkage as well.

5. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

Some of the cables for the push button trans had a wheel at the side on the transmission. By rotating the wheel it adjusts the cable in or out of the transmission.

If yours has a similar arrangement, you need to adjust it to where neutral is in the mid position so fore and aft gears can be selected.

If your dash control is stock, it has to be a simple cable adjustment.

6. 54below

54below

my dash control is stock, I see that its a single cable attached to control panel which goes into the trans. How do I adjust it properly?

7. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

When my car sets for a long time the fluid comes out the dipstick tube on my car also, I think that it is a problem because of it needing more useage or trans flush, I'm not sure if its harmful. I'm kind of scared to flush mine thinking it might make it need a overhaul.
    I can send you copys out of my shopmanual on the pushbutton problem if you would like. I don't know how to adjust them but my manual could help you. Send me your E-mail on PM and I will scan the pages on this issue after work today, if you would like.
    Sorry I can't help otherwise.

8. ezrods

ezrods

I have this rusted out Savoy. Who needs parts? It is going to be scrapped this Fall. Seattle, WA. No engine.

Wanted: 55-56 Plymouth Hard-top side trim and glass.

Attached Files:

9. ezrods

ezrods

The plymouth shop manual says it will overflow when it has been overfilled with too much trans fluid.

10. 1955Savoy

1955Savoy

Do you have a complete ignition switch assembly? The previous owner changed it to an aftermarket switch and I would like to change it back to original.

11. George

George

Do an Intro, as required, before the Forum Police get ya!:)

12. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

What's a good source for the gas tank filler and vent hoses at the tank under the car on a 56 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door?

13. Streight8

Streight8

A few years ago I sent my Canadian Plodge front window gasket to them and they made me one. They said it was different than the American ones that they had made. ( a lot of the overseas cars were Canadian made) when I went to put the rubber in I was lazy and grabbed my Plymouth US book and I could not get the windshield in. I dug up my Canadian manual and it had a very different method for installing and it was a nasty job. Took three of us working together and it looked like it wouldn't go right up until the very last bit. This is the style that has no chrome revel and has 4 screws in each corner. So I don't know if they had just only done the one with the chrome molding because the parts are supposed to be the same Cdn/Us. I had a 2 dr and a 4dr and the gasket was the same on both. I have not done a back glass and I am going to avoid that at all costs! So I don't know if the back glass one is same or different. I found the Steele people super helpful and do recommend them.

14. slim sammy

slim sammy

Got the 55 out of the garage and started messing with this hdr app.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

15. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

My '56 Belvedere has a 277 V8. I have a dual quad intake off a '58 Fury 318 and hot tanked it and painted yesterday.

When I get the fuel tank issue resolved and engine running again, I'll be freshening up the top end of the engine and installing a couple AFB's and dual point distributor.

The 277 has a Power Flite behind it, so the dual carb layout will be more for show than anything else.

Although, I'm installing a custom trailer hitch and load leveler air shocks at the rear axle to tow an antique Century Wood Runabout speed boat.

16. slim sammy

slim sammy

I have been kicking around converting my 55 to 12V. Is anything left of the wiring/elec system left?

17. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

Just a thought, I converted a '55 to 12 volts many years ago.

The wiring is plenty sufficient cause the wires are larger to accommodate the large ampere's that flow in a 6 volt system.

Just change the bulbs, and hook the battery up with ground to ground and + to positive. Use a drop down resistor for the heater motor and wipers, hook the radio up back words down stream of the 12v to 6 v reducer cause it wants a negative ground or go to a '56 radio and heater blower motor.

You'll need a 12v generator and regulator or a 12 v single wire alternator. The starter can remain a 6 volt unit, engine will spin over well with 12 volts. Starters are so limited duty that it will work for years.

But, the wiring you have now is fine, starter contactor or relay will need replaced as well as the horns.

Just sayin

18. MaloneVW

MaloneVW
    from 775

Well my first post on this site, and the reason I came here. 55 Plymouth Plaza.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. wallyringo

wallyringo

Anyone use the Aerostar springs for a 1955 Plymouth swap? if not what did you use please?

20. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

I just installed Monroe Load leveler air shocks on the back of my 56 Ply.

I'm going to tow an antique boat with the car and a scotty travel trailer.

21. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

Who knows where I can buy a replacement fuel sending unit for my 56 Plymouth Belvedere. I have the original but it does not work.

22. MaloneVW - nice little start there....

56Belvedre....try EBAY....nos one's come up often and not priced really high - maybe cause there's alot of them out there ??....bought one year's ago still in the MOPAR box - but have yet to use it on the Fury....

23. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

I drove my 56 Plymouth a couple days ago. This was the first time in months due to fuel tank problems.

She handles like a dream.

24. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

To; 1956 Belvedere -- As for you idea on that dual points setup check out posts 1046 and 1050 ....

25. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

Thanks, I looked at those.

But, my latest problem is the Powerflite trans.

When the cars is cold, from the time I start the engine I have to drive roughly 6 miles before it will shift from low to drive.

The best it will do is shift out of low with drive button selected and then hang in neutral until I push the low button or slow down in drive selection and it will return to low.

My Powerflite is neither heated or cooled from the radiator, it exposed to the air only.

But, after it shifts into drive, as long as the car does not cool down a lot, she will shift into drive no problem everytime.

But, after being shutdown about 3 hours the problem reoccurs all over again.

It must be a process of the heat transferring from the engine to the trans thru the metal parts.

The operation of the trans is flawless after about 6 initial miles.

Any clue as to what is hanging up?

Can I access the shift shuttle valve from the outside of the trans thru a plug or cap or is it accessible thru the oil pan and valve body only,

What can I add to the fluid to clean the trans without taking it apart?

Is kerosene acceptable?

Something has to be varnished or gummed up in side affecting that shuttle or shift valve movement.

Reverse is fine, low is fine and after 6 miles of driving in low, Drive is fine.

Can anyone help?

26. 1955Savoy

1955Savoy

I need drivers door glass and complete ignition switch assembly with or without key.

27. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I can't give you an answer but my 56 6 cyl powerflite hung a really late shift first shift cold. It did it for like 15 years.

28. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Something is stuck inside the shifter i
    Or the cable is froze. Take the shifter off the dash disconnect the cable 2 screws and see if you can shift the cable by hand.

29. wallyringo

wallyringo

what`s the gear ratio for a stock 1955 Plymouth plaza 6 cylinder please?

30. Con Safos

Con Safos

I have some good parts I was collecting from a 56 Plymouth build, no longer have the car but have some parts. I have put an add in the classifieds with no luck, just thought I would try here! I really want someone to use these!
    1-set of really nice headlight bezels
    1- set of really nice tail light lenses with bezels ( bezels pitted)
    1- set of fender skirts

PM me if interested and throw me a price!