Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's talk tools....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Aug 27, 2013.

1. So I am just about done with one long term project and I have a short term project waiting in the wings. Just a winter project, suspension and paint work, no real fab work. I would like to start collecting more tools after I finish that and I'd like to know what tools you guys can't live without? Right now I have a nice MIG and TIG, a tubing bender, chop saw, torches, and a host of hand tools. Once I move into a new shop I'd like to get a milling machine and lathe. I don't have much in the way of body hammers and dollies (I do have some), I don't have much in the way of sheet metal fab stuff.

What's on your list of "must haves"?

2. a good quality set of body hammers and dollies. I've made do with a shitty set for years, i went out and got a good set last week and i can't believe I put up with the other crap for so long. huge difference

3. First aid kit and fire extinguisher

4. If your going to do any metal work a shrinker-strecher and a sheet metal brake are two tools I want. HRP

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If that suspension project involves any A-frame or leaf spring bushing replacement, an air chisel comes in handy.
    A lot just depends on what you plan to do. Good Luck!

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Hi wattage stereo that can handle six huge hi def speakers.

7. cayager

cayager

-powered bead roller. hard to do stuff on a hand roller.
    -finger brake.
    -good body hammers and dollies. snap-on or martin.
    -a lift. if you have the room its well worth the investment.
    -sand blast cabinet. with vacuum.
    -overhead crane. i beams in ceiling with crossbeam to go anywhere in garage. or a frame type gantry.
    -on the high end of money and space. a cnc plasma table for fabbing parts.
    -shop press for pushing bearings in and out.
    - endless list

8. cayager

cayager

i second that. i bought a good set a while back. a mittler bros set of two. they work awesome

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

It never ends. For my 12th birthday my Dad bought me an SK tool set. That was 1962. I now have 4 roll-a-way and top chests, lathes, drill presses, a lift, compressors, a complete sheet metal shop and 3 buildings. Every cent I ever had has gone into my tools and cars. And I'm still broke. It never ends.

Pat

10. cayager

cayager

thats for sure. everytime i convince myself to buy something i say i always wanted this and its the only thing i have left to buy... till next month.

11. aaggie

aaggie

As simple as it sounds, a good set of high quality screw drivers is worth the money. A good Fluke multimeter is also a good lifetime investment.

As you fill up the shop with must have tools the simple ones you use every day get the most use.

12. A welding table. I finally built one after years of welding on the floor, etc. Use it almost every day.

13. cavman

cavman

How about a decent plasma cutter, taps and dies, ear protection.

HUH?

14. Besides the stuff already mentioned, a good bench vise. I went through 2 crap vices before I got smart and bought a quality vice. I also bought a decent cutoff style bandsaw that I fabbed a small table for in the vertical position. I can cut off tubing or whatever and can also set it up in the vertical position and cut out shapes. I use that thing all the time.

15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am in the process of building a new shop and so am discovering a lot of new "must have" tools. Things like a back hoe, front loader and concrete vibrator. I suppose that isn't much help with sheet metal or automotive type tools.

16. stimpy

stimpy

I need a real garage ! this oversized one bay is killing me .

17. mickeyc

mickeyc

A large capacity high quality blast cabinet is my next major investment.
    I spend a lot of time and materials, and wear out grinders also cleaning rust and crap off of miscellaneous parts and pieces.

18. Fine tooth flexible long handle ratchet.
    It's expensive & You don't need this every day but man is it nice to have when you do need it.

19. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Im in the same boat. These are the pieces of equipment im building/restoring to suit my needs. Not necessarily cheap, or quick to do, but they will last me a life time. Im a firm believer for having the right tool for the job.

Attached Files:

20. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

You need a jackall for sure. And life insurance

21. What kind of cars and what do you plan to do to them?

Charlie Stephens

22. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

23. I've been looking at some farm auctions for an old 100+ lb. anvil.
    Will probably need a new vise if I keep abusing it.

24. I do all sorts of stuff, from off topic drag cars and motorcycles, lowriders, etc. the winter project is a 62 bel air. I'd like to do a shoebox ford in the future and a model a or t. A front engine dragster build would be something I'd like to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions, some I never even thought of. Someone mentioned a plasma cutter, I actually owned one but hardly ever used it. I wound up selling it. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Amazing ..the more tools you buy . the less money you make

26. No matter what I NEVER have enough room ..... there has got to be a way to solve that problem.

27. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

A Bridgeport, good bandsaw, and 20" disc grinder. I'd be lost without em..

28. vertical bandsaw, probably the tool i use the most. a nice old heavy sheetmetal brake will make life worth living, and the shrinker/stretcher will get your ass out of a jamb when you need it. but i strongly recommend going foot operated.

a nice shop press can be used for so many different things its ridiculous how versatile that piece is.

im still looking for a nice old disk sander, like 18" or so.

but never underestimate the power of good quality hand tools. most anything can be made with basic shit and a good amount of dedication.

29. [​IMG]

shit like this is most unnecessary and just for showing off how broke you can make yourself.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the one thing you will use more than any other thing in the shop on almost every task on every project you do. Mine is mounted on a stand and I can move it around somewhat if need be. The stand has a cross bar on it and has a bench grinder on one end and the vise on the other.
    Here it is just before I cut a little better than six inches out of the post to get it down to where I could use it. The guy who built it must have been seven feet tall.
    [​IMG]

I picked up a belt sander with 9 inch disk sander on it a few years ago and it is something that I use all the time now that I have it. I figured out last weekend that the miter guide for my Craftsman table saw works on my disk sander table so I can easily square up the ends of tubing that I cut in my bandsaw that so far doesn't cut perfectly square cuts.

Years ago when I was working in shops I bought tools as I needed them and had a self imposed policy that if I needed to borrow a tool from someone else twice in one week I needed to own one instead of borrowing his.

I have body hammers and dollies that I collected over the years but bought the "Pro" set from Eastwood when they had it on sale a while back and so far really like it. Unless you flat need it then, only buy tools when they are on sale for your hobby tool box. Yard sales can be good places to buy tools as they are usually more interested in getting rid of them than what they get out of them.

As someone said a set of good screwdrivers are a must. My wife still goes out in my tool box and digs out the Snap-On screw driver when she needs one.

The main thing is don't run out and buy a shop full of equipment just to be buying it. Buy equipment as the need for it becomes apparent.