Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thunderbird Y-block to small block swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguy668, Aug 26, 2013.

1. oldguy668

oldguy668

Yes, it's my first post on this forum. I was pointed here by some of the guys on the Y-block site. Hopefully I can get a bit of help and return the favor in the future. I really want to establish a dialog (email or phone) with someone who has actually transplanted a small block into a 55-57 Tbird. There's so much conflicting info out there that I can't make heads or tails of it. If there's someone here who has pulled off the swap, I'd love to pick your brain.

Thanks in advance.

2. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Better go here first...........New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

small block what? Ford, Chevy, Mopar?

4. Vendome

Vendome

Why do you suppose the guys on the Y-Block site sent you away?

5. Christom

Christom

Ooooh - harsh! :eek:

T-birds with their orignal Y-block mills intact ROCK! Why change it out? :confused:

6. oldguy668

oldguy668

The 312 I have in the car is pooped out. I already have a really nice carbureted 302 (Ford, of course) that I would like to use. The car is not a candidate for restoration anyway. It's a long-term restomod that is currently being held together with bondo and undercoating.

7. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I second that and add any thing with any thing with a y-block rocks.
    302s are good little motors. I had one in t-roadster once. But a rebuilt 312 y-block sounds and looks so much cooler, and would likely go better.
    Y would anyone take a 292-312 out of any car to add a 302. Spend a bit extra and do the cool.

8. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Think thats an awesome idea. Y not? Did you see in hot rod they are doing a new 5.0 coyote swap? People do shit like that to vettes so y not old birds? Sorry i actually dont have an answer for you but figured id hop in your corner at least!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Now that you clarified that you have a 302 SBF,it can be done you do need to make some changes.The T-Bird Y-block has a rear sump oil pan so you need to use the Fox-body oil pan in the swap ('79 and later) on the 302.You can also use the late model mounts ANCHOR 2725 (L) ANCHOR 2726 (R) you do have to slot the frame pads first (see my Album)http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=41498 The passenger side exhaust is tight so a mini-starter like you see in one picture is a real good idea.One of our members sells the adapter plates to put Y-Block valve covers on a SBF if you want to confuse folks :cool: What year is the 302? You may have to make some other changes I could point out.

10. oldguy668

oldguy668

Wow, those pictures are worth 5000 words easily. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. BTW, the engine is out of an '85.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

With the '85 you should already have the correct oil pan,are you planning on running the serpentine belts from the '85? If your T-Bird has a good radiator and you would like to re-use it you will have one issue and that is lower hose location,by swapping to a 65-69 289 water pump you will shorten the 5.0 by about 3" and have the lower hose on the passenger side but you will be converting back to V-belts.

12. oldguy668

oldguy668

Thanks for the heads-up on the water pump issue.