Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 ford a body on 1930 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAT454SS, Aug 26, 2013.

1. PAT454SS

PAT454SS

The title says it all. I scored a nice 1930 frame and plan to put a 1932 5 window fibreglass body on it. I saw the opposite many times but a 32 on a 30 frame looks pretty odd, but anybody tried it yet?

Gimme your impressions!

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's a really bad idea, really bad!

3. Looks like crap,,I'm just being honest!

The wheel base on a Model A is roughly 103" and Deuce frame is 106". HRP

BTW, a introduction is advised. HRP

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. You gotta be kidding us!!! REALLY?:confused:

5. Channel that fiberglass body down low and no one will know!

6. finn

finn

My uncles did that in the late 30's-early 40's---32 Ford roadster on a Model A frame and drivetrain.

They were farm boys, not hotrodders I guess.

Later scrapped the whole car.

So much for inheriting a Duece.

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know maybe if you look around you could fine a nice VW pan and running gear to set the body on! ......

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My brother's 32 5W spent its racing life on a Model A frame with various engines.
    After he bought it I found him a 32 frame. That is what it sits on now never having turned a wheel under power since he bought it 20 years ago.
    That said, a channeled glass body on an A frame wouldn't be the end of the world. If you can't see it it don't matter.

9. PAT454SS

PAT454SS

Ok guys, i'm new to those cars, a bit dreamer but have the skills on mechnaics and bodywork but don't want to spend 100k on a car you know. I had the frame for next to nothing.

Do you have a better project to suggest? Don't be too bad on me!lol:D

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

You'd be better off selling the model a frame and using whatever money you got towards a set of repro 32 rails. 700$ and worth every penny for a 32 ford. Keep in mind, that putting a little extra cash in to a deuce can go a long way.... it's not the right car to cut corners on. should you ever decide to sell it, you'll get the money back.

11. ^^What he said^^

12. I would advise against it for every reason modela citizen said.

If you were hell bent on doing it, here's a few things you would need to do.

Stretch the A frame 3"
    Box it for sure.
    Make it wider or install model a sub rails in your Tupperware II floor pan.
    Make a nice c notch /z in the rear.

That's just getting started and well over the cost of some 32 rails.

13. That's kind of like putting a 302 Ford Motor in a nice Camaro body. Yes it can be done but you'll never live it down. People will point out how wrong it is forever. Kind of takes the fun out of things. Yes I did that in 1971.
    The Wizzard

14. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Search the A on 32 rails, then do the math. You'll see why it's not reversed.

15. dan31

dan31

In the end it will be more work,more money,you wont like it and you wont get anything for it.

16. Do it! Dare to be different

17. finn

finn

I sort of like the idea of a 289 in a Camaro

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. How about a flathead?

[​IMG]

I say go for it! If no one ever tried anything new we wouldn't be building hot rods in the first place, we'd all be restoring old cars. Do a mock up and post up a pic.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What the guys are trying to tell you is that it will be a real mismatch. There is a reason people put the 32 frame under the model a and not vice versa. The A frame is shorter and not dimensionally as wide, not to mention not as strong. It will look lost under a deuce body.

Do it right, save up for a 32 frame, even a repop.

Don

20. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Sometimes its better to be a spectator than a participant.

21. hallrods

hallrods

A friend of mine had a 1932 ford 3window glass car on a model a frame with a 392 hemi in it. He was from the Chicago area and moved to Two Rivers Wi in the early 90's the car was channeled and it looked good maybe it was stretched I don't remember I'll see if I can scan and post a picture of it.

22. hallrods

hallrods

Took a picture of a picture

Attached Files:

23. Looks odd to me. HRP

[​IMG]

And a Deuce on 32 rails..

[​IMG]

24. 2racer

2racer

they also sell glass model a bodies....

25. F&J

F&J

It looks ok to me. Maybe take the other opinions if it was a choice original body. With the glass body, and A frame, channel it stretch it, whatever...and make a hot rod.

who says your first build needs to be your best effort with the best parts?

26. hallrods

hallrods

It does look a little odd but if you want the channeled look I think you could make copy of the front of the 32 frame and build your own.

27. If it were me I'd find a way to get a '32 frame. However, there is nothing wrong with using what you have. Go for what you want!

28. fortynut

fortynut

I kept reading, thinking maybe this was one of those weird ones that keep popping up like mushrooms around a barn. Just because you have a frame from one car and a body from another, and want to put them together does not always equal wonderful. The reason there are traditions is that some combinations turn out better than others; and those that follow along this same path improve but don't neglect to understand the reasoning that these elements worked. These folks who are telling you to go ahead should be ashamed of themselves. It may be possible, but after you spend your time and money to do it, those who know better will laugh at you. Honest. Sell one, or the other, or find a way to get Deuce rails, or sell the Deuce body and go all 'A'. You'll be happy you found the patience to wait until you got all your ducks in a row. It may take longer to build but you can drive something closer to perfect without ever looking back.

29. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

It's a glass body...

Stretching a Model A frame is about as easy as it gets...​

Have at it and have fun. No harm, No foul.​

30. Don't listen to all the nay- sayers.do what you want and if you like it run it if not change it.its your car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!