Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jlaird, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jlaird

jlaird

I've been working on a build (my first) for the past 6 or 7 years...I don't know exactly, I've lost count. What is it like when you take that maiden voyage?? Can anybody describe feelings, sensations, thoughts, etc? I know it's something that has to be experienced, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion...

-josh

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Remember that first piece of tail? Yea, like that.

3. I was so tense listening for noises that you couldn't have driven a nail up my rear end with a ten pound sledge hammer!:D HRP

4. shadams

shadams

Mine isn't done, but I have driven it. First drive was terrifying and exciting at the same time. I had a piece of electrical wire as a throttle cable and the doors were bungeed closed. shitting my pants the whole time with a huge grin on my face...second drive was better until I remembered I hadn't bolted the pass running board on, until after I heard it hit the road on a turn... decided to finish it before I drive it again....

hahaaa!

5. jazz1

jazz1

rolled it into garage and drove it out 3 years later complete frame off,,all work done in my shop,,,that shit eatin' grin lasted a week as I drove it out an onto to the road
    [​IMG]

6. yblock292

yblock292

To me there are 2 great moments in a build, first time you fire her up and she runs, second is when she moves under her own power! Thats when the marker comes out and is written on the shop wall

7. RFH1931

RFH1931

First ride out was intense listening and waiting on something to happen...
    The second ride out I woke the whole neighborhood up !
    What a BLAST !!!

8. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Uummm. It's kinda like being balls deep

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

I haven't finished a build, but had my maiden voyage when I got my 61 running.

It's nervousness and excitement as others have said. Pretty much like your first time, except it's not a total embarassing disaster.

10. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, you are so on the money.

11. A feeling of elation, pride, fullfillment..knowing that it exists soley because of your dreams, labors, and the wherewithall to carry it out.

12. ken05k

ken05k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Jasper, AR

I had a 29 Model A Tudor Sedan that I had worked on for years. There was so much of "me" in that car that it was an emotional experience every time I drove it.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It was excitement at first the nervousness when the cop pulled me over on the way to the muffler shop.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Like T Fever said, Kinda like that [only I don't remember grinning as much with "that" !!

dave

15. SlamIam

SlamIam

Yep, like that - that feeling is why I build cars, nothing like it.

1st long trip without being towed home - satisfying.

1st time pedal to the metal until ultimate top end speed is found - very exciting, especially in a short wheelbase car with frontal area like a brick.

16. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

Im reading all the replys I guess this why people build more then one car... there chasing the Dragon

17. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Finally got my project on the road this year after owning it for 37 years.You could say I was pretty stoked to say the least.Dont think I set any kind of record id like to admit to but a lot of things just got in the way.Already starting on another one and trying to figure out how I can get it on the road in about a year.I enjoy the build process almost more than the driving.

18. dan31

dan31

Nervous,excited,happy and scared all at once.Its like your getting away with something that is just not suppose to be possible.Thats why we all get that crazy ass smile.:D

19. chopo

chopo

always looking for your bail out pull offs. checking that the fire ext is still on the floor and saying to yourself this is so co....wtf was that. and then when you pull into the parking lot and say yo your pop its was ok it just needs a few screws snugged and a good set of tires..

me last month

20. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

The first time driving my first car ( aviator) I was setty in a small lawn chair. I had another one for the passages side. And when I got on it my friend in the passages side fell straight back with feet in the air!:D

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

lots of good answers, it to some extent depends on what happens, but there is usually a big smile as long as nothing major goes wrong.
    As you can see i was taking a few shortcuts to be sure it ran.
    [​IMG]

22. dan31

dan31

jazz1,you sir win the title of best "Best shit eatin grin ever".:D

23. Dad just buttoned up his 56 today after chasing gremlins. Even in the 100 degree heat he was having fun in the garage. I almost had to pry him off the ceiling.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep. Spent a shitload of time and money beforehand, bundle of nerves when the time came, the ride was over too quick and had to do a bunch of cleanup afterward.

You're right, it is like that.:)

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It's a great feeling of accomplishment, no matter where you go or how long the ride is. It's like that line from the movie Young Frankenstein (stine) - "It's alive!"

For me, there was a hurricane coming that day and my car had only one seat bolted down, no interior, no side or back glass, and no mufflers or tail pipes. But I was bound and determined to drive it at least once before the storm had a chance to destroy it all sitting in my garage. I took it up and down the street a couple 10 times just to prove that it worked and hear the engine wine a little. Even my neighbor's wife hopped in it for several passes. It was a genuine hoot. All smiles. Luckily for Tampa Bay, the hurricane took a juke east and the worst of it went another direction. Gary

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  26. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

That's perfect...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. jlaird

jlaird

GREAT replies! I have to give blowby the gold star though. Very creative!

28. Stick to it ,mate! They're never "done". You'll know soon enough, then drive it every chance you get. It never gets old.

29. Jokester

Jokester

I was just glad I had ears! Otherwise my smile would have gone all the way around.

Makes you realize that it's not about the car.

.bjb