Register now to get rid of these ads!

preserving surface rust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Williams, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

Check out this El Camino. I think this is what some of us are talking about. Genuine patina is beautiful (to some) once you've removed the light orange surface rust.
    I suppose I should have looked for a "preserving patina" thread instead of a "preserve rust" one. Walked right into a hornets nest on that one.
    After this I'm going to refrain from continued involvement here. I don't intend to convert anyone to my way of thinking on things, but I wanted to give a good example of what I personally see as beauty. The wagon in the site is a little overkill to me however. Once you've put a gazillion dollars into a car, the patina is kind of lost in the glitter. Can't see having $5000 worth of Coy's wheels next to patina. Seems a little confused, ...to me. Feel free to maintain any current opinions without thinking I want it to change. The El Camino however... I'd CLR and wax that bitch and just drive it. I love a good barn find.

Here's a link to the site it came from.
    http://lowbus.com/BB/index.php?topic=335.90

Attached Files:

• clr.jpg
      clr.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
  2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This made want a "like" button.

3. That brightworks trim would be toast if it got slashed by the CLR ... not to mention that finish was achieved by a hella lot more than just splashing on CLR.

Attached Files:

• clr.jpg
      clr.jpg
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Rub a little CLR on it. It should polish up nice. :)

5. Put it in a little box, make sure that it is air tight. Now pull a vacuum on it shoot for 30" of mercury, it is going to take a perfect vacuum if at all possible. Now set it on a shelf, maybe place little pieces of food or beer up their for the spirits and light a candle or two every day. It will be enshrined forever as long as the seal doesn't break.

Nope but I did tell a hippy chick once that she needed a bath before I was diving into that shit. She was just freakin decrepid.

Which brings us back around to rust. When I see a rusty car I always thionk of that hippy chick. She was decrepid because she had no self respect. If your car is decrepid and you are proud of it then it is a sign that you have no self respect and someone needs to point that out to you.

A car is a direct reflexion of the owner/builder what does it say about someone who would let it be in decay instead of setting it right or at least making an effort of setting it right.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Turtle wax works for me..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

7. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Keep it under a UV light source for a little while, too, just to make sure you kill the bacteria.:rolleyes:

8. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

not my bag!I believe you improve old cars fresh paint straight bodywork improved suspension but what do I know!

9. My sentiments exactly.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Freeze it. When we were kids, a friend of mine had a "squirrel-cicle" used to really upset the wimmen-folk...:p

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This I GOTTA see!!!:p

I had to self-censor my thoughts on FNG's before I posted this.;)

12. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

Well, this experience definitely cemented my resolve to stay out of discussions on forums. I apparently lack the surplus of hostility required to be here, as well as the arrogance and desire to tell other people what to do and how to do it. Some of you have found a little of the hostility I carried in a former life however. Congratulations. This should be therapeutic for me. ...here it is...
    As far the suggestion that I'm following trends or "...jumping on some bandwagon." [zman], ...with a f'ing International powered International??? Are you kidding me??? (This is coming from a guy, with what could have been a respectable, different ride, but caved in the home stretch, and put traditional flames and "Old Skool" striping on the thing mind you). Every asshole who wants to jump on the "Old Skool" bandwagon, is saving his pennies and lining up like lemmings to have his ride striped.
    My truck's not lowered, bagged, small block Chevy powered, IFS converted, air conditioned, automatic, or striped! It's got no power steering or creature comforts. It just weighs 3200 lbs. and goes like hell.
    What it's got is the ability to never pull up to a light beside another one, a flawlessly running IH 345 in it (that I built), with a Sig Erson cam, Pertronix igniter, nearly 300K miles on it, and a Borg Warner T-19 wide ratio (that I built).
    We found out my wife was pregnant, and over the next 2 months (so that I wouldn't have to sell my dream truck instead of take it with me to have our kids near family), I tore this thing down to the frame, engineered and fabbed everything that was changed (trans crossmember, brake caliper brackets, linkages, oil pan, wiring harness, accessories...) and rebuilt everything down to the original window regulators, knee action shocks, windshield crank mechanism, and wiper motors. I turned down the original front hubs (on the original straight axle) for a set of '90 Dakota discs. I installed GM intermediate calipers, a dual pot master, and seat belts.
    I then proceeded 2 days after it's first test drive, to drive it 2000 miles at 70 mph, in 107 degree temps (coming through Oklahoma), pulling 6000 lbs. (a 56 Coronet wagon on a car trailer and my 64 Triumph in the bed), ...without a hiccup!
    Despite the sweat, I was grinning the whole way, because I'm a gearhead and I love my truck. I had been dreaming about that first real roadtrip in an International KB since I was about 3 and saw one at the sawmill my dad worked at. That's why I bothered to save the first one I could find and afford.
    I don't need someone to schedule a cruise or a club to support my decision. I also don't need the approval of those around me, to do what I decide to do. I drive my truck every day. It's my only vehicle until the Polara is done, and that's a product of not being able to fit 2 car seats in my truck. The truck will still haul my toolbox, rain or shine, to service calls on a daily basis, since I live, eat, breathe and dream my passion for all things mechanical.
    It's driven, waxed, loved, preserved, and most importantly ...saved from the crusher. This thing had no engine, transmission, was disassembled, and was about to be left on a forclosed property to be crushed by the bank (in such a greed induced frenzy to take this womans home, that they didn't give her enough time to collect her shit). I saved, what most of you Oxide-o-phobes would have passed by and let be destroyed forever.
    ...when I close this page, I'm still going to resist the urge to cave to the opinions of quite a few "Senior" and "Alliance" members online and in the real world. I'm going to do exactly what I was doing; building MY truck, MY way, with the wrong truck, powerplant, suspension, wheels, tires, and choice of finish.
    What's also amazing to me, that my degree of self respect is able to be garnered from what little is known about me here. Dude's a remarkable psychologist. You missed your calling. I assure you, I'm doing just fine. I love who I've become and my family (new and old) and friends do too.
    ...And for the hostile one "zman" who claims not to be a bench racer, I'd say 16,000 posts constitutes a hell of a lot of bench racing, down time, and quite possibly an addiction.
    Here's a suggestion; Stop spending so much time judging people and go outside. Those same people will be out there for you to judge, while they're driving their unacceptable rides to the store to buy bandaids, ...for the cuts they received, while polishing their rusty ass vehicles, that they love despite the fact that they haven't met the approval of your ignorant ass.
    Don't bother criticizing when you see us however, we're going to ignore you there too. At least you might see something different that you can pay someone to copy though, ...like Old Skool pinstriping! ...Bitch!

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

What part of FL are you in MR Zilla? I'd like to check out your truck, it sounds bad ass to me.

14. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

15. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to packardinfo.com. From the home page select Discussion Forums. From there go to Project Blogs. There you will find a blog on a guy preserving the patina on his 55 Clipper. He seems to be having success in the process.

(o{}o)

16. Bronze it - the only way to properly preserve the Doggy Doo Doo - you can even make a fountain out of it like this fella did.
    [​IMG]

Yeah - You lied, you've come back at least twice since this comment :D

17. roddinron

roddinron

Well said Zilla! You certainly have some of these people figured out. As far as your truck, I like it as is. It pains me to see a car rusting away, but that's obviously not going to happen with yours. I have used a great and versatile product called Penetrol by flood http://www.duspec.com/DuSpec2/document/DocumentDisplayController.htm?documentId=664736
    I've used it to bring the color back on faded plastic fender flairs on a jeep, and to preserve some old original signs (I guess some here would have had me sand them down and have a sign painter re create them). I think with your truck, I'd go over it with a gray scotch pad to knock off the scale etc. then just rub the pentrol on. But try it on some place inconspicuous first.
    If you like the look of your patina, then preserve it. That's not the same as letting it rust, and at your stage of life, painting it is not a small, cheap job. That truck looks like it could be used as a truck the way it was meant to be. Preserve it have fun with it, and (if you want to) paint it in the future or let the next guy paint it if he wants to.

18. 2manydoors

2manydoors
    from indiana

EEEUUWWWWA! You don't have shiny paint! That's disgusting.:eek:

19. Mr Zilla. I'm sort of sorry that you missed some of the humorous stuff here. It's here, if you look for it. The HAMB is like hanging out in the garage for many of us, a thin skin won't serve you well. You'll waste your time, coming here for validation. There aren't HAMB Best Participant Trophies. But, I don't think that's what you were trying to say. I think you were trying to share what you learned about the rust stuff (I forget the name). But, like I said, you'll be happier here if you learn to roll with it. A thick hide and an appreciation of sarcasm make the HAMB fun.

20. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

A few guys have messaged me about liking my truck and that I should take things lightly and hang around. I assure you, I'm not in the least bit negatively affected by anything on this little square in my office. If somebody wants to bait me however, I'll play along. I'm home with the flu and have a little time to kill. I can battle with the best of 'em (I learned from my mother, who argues for sport), and felt like humoring some dingbats.
    As far as validation goes... I didn't come to this room full of "Statler and Waldorf's" for any. I just wanted ideas on how to prevent surface rust from getting worse.
    Despite being a little under the weather, I did just put a fresh coat of wax on my rust. Here are some pics to keep you old truck guys drooling and to infuriate others for dozens of messages to come... :)
    ...And being from Massachusetts originally, sarcasm is my primary language. I can identify it with no reaction time at all.
    So... Who wants to get into some psychological profiling?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  21. OK then. But, keep your elbows off of the table. We Aristocrats insist on decorum.

I'll even drag your thread back on track. Will using that stuff you use to preserve your patina make a repaint more difficult? Erm, should you decide that old girl deserves a fresh coat of the cool factory green, that is. heh heh

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What?!!! Dang.

How about Rookie of the Year?
    Miss Congeniality?

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Relax. We have a VERY SPECIAL award just for you .... :rolleyes:
    Be patient though, it won't be available until the next annual awards banquet ... :)

24. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

If I'd sanded the paint off of my car and left it under a tree when this thread started, would it be real patina yet or would it still be fake?

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I think I saw a picture of it on the previous page.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You dug up a 6 year old thread and obviously didn't read it. Then, you hop in here with your tales of rust, scars and faded glory. You came in looking for a confrontation. No one called you out. Actually, no one really cares. If you want your truck to look like shit, then go for it. It won't be the first or last. But don't get pissed about it and "start swinging" because someone calls it a rat rod. You make your bed, grow a pair and sleep in it. Otherwise, you'll just get tossed into the pile of whiners that seem to have come here during the summer. So, grab that bucket of wax you use and wax away.

Honestly, your whining and defending something is 3rd grade level on a good day. Take your ball and go home.

27. Mr. Zilla

Mr. Zilla
    from Florida

Actually Phil, the truck will probably be painted in a decade or so. I'm trying to buy some time so I can focus on the Polara since it's going to be moving the kids around. I've been dropping all my embezzled household funds building the 440, 727, super stock springs, rebuilding brakes and suspension, upholstery supplies, etc... Paint and a sizeable order with Vintage Air are on the list before the truck's needs enters the picture. I've also got a 54 F-100 that I need to finish building for my dad. I've got paint and body work left on it, but that should be done by next summer.
    The engine in the truck runs great, but has upwards of 280K miles on it I figure (it was in my old 4x4 pickup for years). It's due for a little love before cosmetics as well.
    I'm not a paint and body guy, but I've befriended enough of them to get some sound advice on this one. "Don't wax it for at least a month before paint" seems to be a general rule. With the possibility of wax hiding in the crevaces of pitted metal, I'm thinking several months are in order. All my panels will need to be stripped to bare metal and hand worked before paint anyway. I don't think it'll be a problem with the amount of down time I'll be looking at before shooting it.
    And the color will probably be ink black... At least that's my opinion at this moment. A lot changes in a decade.

28. fortynut

fortynut

FILE THIS UNDER: RAT ROD TENDENCIES THAT KEEP HAPPENING ON THE H.A.M.B.
    [​IMG] Re: preserving surface rust

Preserving rust is an oxymoron. Rust is a process, also known as oxidation; not a noun but a verb, and other than taking a picture of it, good luck on that one. The obnoxious tendencies of Rat Rodders, I would guess, is where the aesthetic of 'as found' began. It is not traditional. Those I think of as models for my behavior, who built rods and customs in the past, never allowed rust to continue on any of their projects. It was ground off, cut out, and if necessary patches replaced the offending member, and paint, or primer was applied to prevent it happening again. The very idea of preserving rust is inimical to 'traditional'.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

First off asshat... this place is all about TRADITIONAL. Maybe you should read some before running your mouth. "The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL." http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274 Then maybe you'd have an idea why you are catching some grief. Give me shit for 16k in 12 years fine, whatever. And what did you do this weekend? I actually drove my "traditional" car 2500 round trip to the HAMB Drags and back while you whined some more. I suggest at this point you just go away. You obviously have no idea where you are and will continue to put your foot squarely in your mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.