Register now to get rid of these ads!

White walls tires & mag wheels-traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrchevrolet2, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

I think those Raders actually came out a little bit later than '62 or '63. Could your dad have possibly been off on the year by a few?
    If I'm not mistaken, the triple white walls were a 1966 item too ... :confused:
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. F&J

F&J

I tried researching Charles Rader's original wheel company, before Mickey Thompson got into the co-marketing of those in about 65. Mickey gets most of the credit for the sales numbers that followed.

I think original Raders do date from 62 or 63

3. hallrods

hallrods

Rod and custom just did a article on the history of the mag wheel. Raders started in early 60's and the three rib was with Mickey Thompson around 66 if I remember correctly .

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahaha!!!

5. F&J

F&J

I'll have to get that copy. Someone on hamb I think, put up a M/T Rader ad, dated 65. Mickey, of course, then had his M/T logo on the back of the wheel, and the spinner, too ;)..as he was a master of self-promotion.:cool:,...just like George Barris.

6. F&J

F&J

^ ooops, I forgot to say that there was a connection with George and Mickey, and the Rader wheels. Seems I read where Mickey got George to "use" (aka "promote") Raders on Georges current showcars like the first version of the Batmobile. Then some friction, or whatever, and those Raders were taken off it.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I didn't know him (LOL). Ok, I'm sure there were a few, but all the cool cars on the streets around Waukegan looked like wanna be A gassers or super stockers, all high n mighty in the front and blackwalls. If there were any show rods / customs around, I didn't see the down on Genesee St. or at the A&W. Perhaps you had to go to Chicago? Or an indoor car show? Gary

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I wouldn't run them on my own car, but I won't deny there existence either. :D

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

9. Hummmn, after reading this thread I feel vindicated in that some do and some don't! :)Some of the discussions here are quite passionate and I believe everyone is right, at least in their mind. :rolleyes:I love tradition but I was not there in the day. However, I have always found my own way as the common path is a mindless path and to falter with scars makes one tough and wise......er!:D

[​IMG]

10. Weasel

Weasel

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td class="vs_w-a"><center>Let me get this right - so some of you would consider this traditional....:rolleyes:

[​IMG]</center>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

11. slammed

slammed

It was done (how ever little) back when. Is that^^^^^car out of line with this boards criteria or because you do not like (which was not the OP question) the look? The mag/WWW was not w i d e l y (!) done. If anything it was not 'traditionally popular' like many trends used and abused today. Build a bridge. Cross the crevasse. See? Now your over it------rim shot----!

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

13. In San Diego in the early sixties they be found on plastic models, low riders and sailor's cars... at least that's how I remember it. On the models and show cars it was usually flat spokes (Raders or ETs) and piecrusts in the rear for sure.

14. slammed

slammed

Weee-ha! Here is one for the post whores:[​IMG]

15. 55Brodie

55Brodie

You did see mags and WW's in Richmond VA in the late 60's and early 70's. I always thought it looked retarded.

16. Christom

Christom

Totally agree - don't get them started on bare-metal/clear coat finishes! I like it old school - big 'n little black wall X-ply tires, black 16" steels with trim rings and long-tom lung nuts for me! :D

17. U-235

U-235

"The new tradition"...............oxymoron..!

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Just read posts 24 & 25---IMO, Fred and Weasel have it right. I'm not going to read any farther. I was there for the 50s and 60s--don't remember w/walls on mags but if it turns you on, do it! I catch a lot of crap about the way we did the '40, usually by someone who doesn't even have a car, but that's all right cuz my profane reply spices things up a little. I'll be the first to admit that "they didn't do it like that back in the day" and the reason is I never did like it that way. If I'm non-traditional, then so be it. Onward.

19. BLAKE

BLAKE

So... getting back to the original reason for this thread, the answer is plain - 'YES, folks back in the day ran whitewalls on mag wheels'.

Next question...? :D

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Some more.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

These type of threads are always interesting to me...
    I bought my first car in 1958. (Pictured Below) a 1940 Nash Ambassader with straight 8 and twin ignition...had sat in my Aunts garage for 14 years untouched.
    And it had wide whitewalls on both the inside and outside of the tires....so no turning tires around for a different look..:eek:
    But...getting back to the original question...most all of the 'Middle Class" guys I grew up with ran what they could afford, as stated in several posts above..
    Actually if you ran black walls you were kinda square..but not too many had mag wheels then either..
    As far as the hard core comments above, I can appreciate their thoughts, but disagree with their application.
    You want a totally accurate Old HAMB friendly hot rod...but are the first to get rid of the mechanical brakes....put on air bags....modern shocks....Coker fake bias looking tires that are really radials....run 12V electrical systems, and so on...
    Point here is that time changes things, and there are getting to be fewer and fewer real "Old Time" Hot Rod guys left..
    Now don't get me wrong, I love the old hot rod theme of this forum...and compliment Ryan totally for his handling of this enormous forum...
    I just gotta sit back and chuckle on occasion when a lot (No Not ALL) of the wanna be old timers get on their high horse and preach about Real Hot Rod Parts and builds..
    Off my podium now...

Attached Files:

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

While you guys were "discussing" the validity of ww tires on mags. ..I was driving my hotrod a few hundred miles...through rain at times to some old school, hometown drag racing. White wall slicks and all..;) :D
    How about everyone who complains about whats traditional or not posts a pic of their own "TRADITIONAL" car....so others can pick it apart....and if yer car is "period perfect"...well...you get a cookie....Lol
    Carry on..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  23. I love your car man! Awesome stance and colors! And it looks right out of a little book! :D

Here is mine driving!

[​IMG]

24. slammed

slammed

Ah at very last someone understood the question. And it was not a 'do you LIKE the look' survey/poll thread.

25. chromeazone

chromeazone

Ditto, the BigDaddyYo on WW & mags on lowriders! In fact (although I am out of Cali now), I think some are still rolling that way. It's Lowrider traditional.
    As I recall, I think Inglewood was popping out White Wall Cheaters (two grooves).
    Not sure about Bruce's (Bite by Bruce), they were mostly popular in Nor Cal.
    Remember most of the first "slicks" were usually recaps until M&H got into it.

"Do you think I can still drive it home?"

26. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the operative word here is "mag" , as in magnesium YES. But as a catch all for alum torq's or alum slots ; NO. Also like has been mentioned ww's kept getting smaller the newer you go from the early '60s on.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"I love the old hot rod theme of this forum...and compliment Ryan totally for his handling of this enormous forum..."

One day, hopefully soon, an old timer that condones much respect, is going to show a video that will end all the bullshit and shove a traditional boot up everybody's ass. That's what it's going to take. It may be highly improbable, but I wait for that day because all the time and money wasted on this bullshit is so fucking stupid sometimes.

Is this REALLY what a lot of you talk about, when you're not on the HAMB? Or is it that you have a chance to express all this shit and no one can tell you to shut up? When I'm around older guys who were around that time, if I don't bring it up, they don't mention a damn thing about the old days. When they do, they don't do it for long. They might mention how something was done and why it's good that it isn't done anymore. Like heating coils.

So again, is this REALLY what you guys talk about, when you're not on the HAMB? If so, that must be a really boring group. The hot rodders I know are talking about where to drive next.

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

This is exactly what I was thinking. I drove my truck to the Spin Out this weekend with my 3 year old son on the way there and my 6 year daughter on the way back. I had a blast putting a 100 miles on my hot rod and sharing time with my family. I guess I'm sorry if my fenderless, too chopped, channeled, too low, bare metal, 582 Chevy made to look like a 396/427 powered, can't haul anything 34 pickup offends some people. The point is go out and have fun. It supposed to be fun right? BTW I have the whitewalls turned in on my radir slicks on slotted mags. :)

And before anybody gets upset. I know my truck isn't really traditional. It was never intended to be and I'm not trying to rewrite history.

On a side note. I notice the argument is yes there is pictures of WW on mags but it wasn't popular. How popular does it have to be to be considered OK? And who decides this?

BTW Sinistercustom is that an alternator is see?! You better take that Bad ASS Hot Rod home and get a generator on it ASAP!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  29. Not a look I'm very fond of but you can't say it was never done. Even my heroes Sneaky Pete and Ray Godman ran whitewalls with mags.

Attached Files:

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whomever can present the results from a freshly calibrated Traditionalometer.

Anything that can be demonstrated to have been observed, and then repeated, can be considered traditional.

There can be no right or wrong when it comes to traditions. What passes for traditional on this board is a separate issue.

Traditions are nothing more than shared opinions.

You are each entitled to your own opinion. Nothing about your opinion makes it superior to that of anyone else's.

Build a car. Drive it. Stop telling everyone else that they are doing it wrong.