Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the latest piece to my pile of pieces.[​IMG]

2. It could be a '27 truck frame, which would mean that the dash is correct and that your engine was replaced at some point with a '28 (very common, since the single exhaust/poor coolant flow caused all kinds of problems).

3. Kume

Kume

1927 truck chassis (red one) and 1928 (black) don't think its either - quite different front spring mounts as previously mentioned and different steering box mount etc. .

Attached Files:

4. Kume

Kume

It also has a chev four speed gear box - note reverse lock release extending up gear stick. These came out in 1928. So engine gearbox and firewall probably 1928 commercial grafted into a non chev chassis. The frame kind of looks like a right hand drive, is that possible?.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Here's my 29' coach, I just picked her up last weekend. Both the wood and metal are in awesome shape.

Attached Files:

6. Cool looking old Chevy. What are your plans for it?

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What a beauty! Be nice to it.:rolleyes:

8. mink

mink
    from CT

Damn wood! I bought some ash and am sitting here twiddling my thumbs in front of my 32

9. Out driving mine today...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376154785.977001.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App Sucka!!!

10. You got that right!

11. If you guys think our cars have, or rather "had" a lot of wood, check out this set of pictures.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  12. For the Chevrolet enthusiasts, here's a rare one.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Had a friend stop by today and got a lot done on mine. Hope to take it for a ride soon!

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I have a 1933 5window. I don't have any pictures but I removed ALL THE WOOD and replaced it with steel! I made a tubing roller and rolled some 1" square tubing. I also bought a shrinker stretcher and bend some 18 gage angles.
    I have owned the car for 20 years. But haven't worked on it for 5 years! Been busy working on everyone else's!

15. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Thanks guys, it will be awhile before I get to do anything to it. I have a few other projects to finish up before this one goes under the knife. Here is a pic of a car whose build style is similar to what I would like to do. I think I got the pic from this site actually.

Attached Files:

16. Senior31

Senior31

Count me in! I have a 34 3w coupe and 35 sedan. The 35 has been on the road for a couple years and the 34 is 3rd in line with my current projects.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. stingbean

stingbean

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

This panel looks very much like the US War Dept purchases ( called Ordnance acceptances) from GM for the National Guard in the years before WWII.
    Yes, they were ambulances.
    I have a print of a US National Guard soldier standing next to a very similar truck.
    They were a certain designation, as in "Ambulance, Metropolitan, 1.5 ton" in the US War Dept TM book.
    Overall condidered "type 7" another US War Dept designation for ambulance.
    Their "hood number" always included 7 as the first digit. As in "USA W-7XXX". The W stood for War Department.
    The original license plate also had this designation on it.
    It appears to be longer than some I've seen in National Guard military yearbooks.
    Quick way to determine if it's military is to search top of hood near the sides right and left for the above hood numbers.
    Despite what we all think we know about US military vehicles, these early trucks were often painted shiny dark brown like a UPS truck.
    The 1939 Ford 1.5 ton ambulance I owned was shiny brown first, then OD green.
    Another US military only feature is the spare tire and wheel mounted on the pass side runningboard just behind the pass door.
    Municipalities and utility companies often purchased these trucks as surplus.
    Too cool!

19. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Here is my 1930 chevy panel truck.
    DSCN1864.jpg

DSCN1866.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  20. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

A 1930 chevy panel must be rare. Nice truck

21. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

22. fordflambe

fordflambe

Very rare and very nice!

23. convx4

convx4

I got some early doors, that are wall hangers.

24. mink

mink
    from CT

Does any one happen to have 32 chevy windshield dimensions?

25. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

Count me in , I've got a '33 Town Sedan, a '34 5 window coupe , a '34 convertible, and a '35 tall cab pickup.

26. what dimensions do you need? PM me just incase this thread falls...

27. 35chevypu

35chevypu
    from vermont

add for 35 chevy pu

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. old_orange

old_orange
    from Odessa, Tx

I'm in, I have a 29' coupe. I have a quick question if anyone can help me out, or point me in the right direction. The left front brake is locked up and I need to get into it, but the only way I see how to is to take the wheel off. The main problem I have is, how do I remove the wooden spoke wheel? It doesn't have lug nuts like a regular car wheel. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379943296.946694.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379943396.116037.jpg

29. 270ci

270ci

You probably figured out that with wood spoke wheels the rim and tire were changed via the four rim "lug nuts" and the wheel stays on the car. That was a "regular" car wheel back in the day.

Now, if you want to take the front wheel off, you start by removing the hub cap (or grease cap) as they were often called, then remove the cotter pin on the spindle, unscrew the castle nut and slide the wheel (and bearings) off the spindle, just like removing the front hub off a more modern car.

BTW, on the driver's side, the castle nut is probably a left hand thread, as was common during that era, so don't strain yourself trying to go the wrong way. Also, a great time to check your bearings and re-grease. Reassemble and set the preload per the manual.

Good luck with your your brake issue.

30. old_orange

old_orange
    from Odessa, Tx

Thanks! I had noticed the four lugs holding the rim to the wheel and it didn't make sense how it was being held on to the car.
    Are the rear wheels the same process?