Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Pontiac Cheftian

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old1946truck, Aug 4, 2013.

1. old1946truck

old1946truck

Well lets get this started I bought a 1951 Pontiac Cheftain for $1500. The car runs but it needs new brakes and a master cylinder I found the car on craigslist back in December. The owner thought he had a buyer but the deal fell through.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Here is is when I got it home in January
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

After I got it off the trailer and set it up on jack stands I noticed the leaf spring bushings were worn out. So it was time to remove them.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

I'll have more pictures and info soon on the brake replacement.

2. old1946truck

old1946truck

3. old1946truck

old1946truck

Sand blasted the wheels for the Pontiac today here they are before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After sand blasting

[​IMG]

and after painting the wheels with rustolem it really doesn't look that bad.

[​IMG]

4. I almost got a similar car, 51 4 door chieftain, had a yellow paintjob with red crackle roof, big white walls, and it was lowered a bit. being offered pretty cheap, but the cat never answered my emails.
    Looking forward to seeing the outcome, are you keeping it mostly stock or are you customizing it?

5. old1946truck

old1946truck

I'm keeping it mostly stock I'm just going to drive and enjoy it and then later decided what to do.

6. stimpy

stimpy

for a second I thought the misses sold mine on me , then I saw the extra door handles and bumper and fog lights ..

wish Mine still had the straight eight , but since it was reclipped going to late model Poncho v-8 power , if I want to hear the straight 8 all I have to do is go to my father in laws house .

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - looks like you are doing things right

8. deek114

deek114

NICE! wish my Chief was that far along. I think you have inspired me to head out to the garage to get busy. Thanks

9. old1946truck

old1946truck

Well I mounted the original rims back on the car today. The new tires I bought are 215/75R15 and the look actually good they come very close to the bias plys that were on it. Here are some pictures.

Out with the old and in with the new! I also found out that my axle seals have started to leak buy looking at the old rim on left. So looks like that the new next project on the list after the rebuilding the carburetor.
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

And after!
    [​IMG]

vwdave30 likes this.
  10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Congrats ! Good luck with it. 4Drs. can be very cool, great drivers, and, not seen at every event !!

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. old1946truck

old1946truck

So I have been thinking about taking a green scotch brite pad and cleaning the surface rust and water ever the green stuff that is growing on the front of my off. Is this a bad idea? What would be a good wax I could use to protect it after I get threw? [​IMG]

12. stimpy

stimpy

the green stuff is moss and mold from sitting were it was damp under a tree , mine had it bad because it was in the shade and under a grove of pines . I set it in the sun for a week to dry it out , then just washed it with detergent ( tide ) and a scrub brush and it came off , you can use toilet bowl cleaner and a brush too but it might take the paint off . for me a pressure washer didn't do squat .

13. old1946truck

old1946truck

Well I have been driving it almost every weekend now till the axle seals started leaking. Come to find out it still have the old leather seals from the factory in them. So I ordered new ones from Kanter and the work began.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. old1946truck

old1946truck

And I finally made my first car show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The '51 Pontiac hood ornament was just epic. :cool:

This really brings back memories, because Dad bought one of these in '68. I got my my license in '71 & it would have been mine had it ever got finished. I did a lot of work on that car, then winter came to Duluth & the USAF decided to ship us off in the middle of January.

I had to dig that car out of a giant snowbank. I first dug down 5 feet on the 4 corners to put the wheels back on it. Then I shoveled off the other 4 tons of snow, only to tow it out and sell it off for $50 without ever getting to drive it once. :(

I recall I had to rewire the engine as the primary wiring caught fire right after the test drive and we were able to buy the car for a pitiful $35. :cool: Good runner too.

The best part is I found over $100 worth of tools in the trunk, plus an antique brass telescope which I still have; so all my work was not for nothing.

16. old1946truck

old1946truck

Thanks for the story I hate you couldn't keep the car. I want to hang on to mine as long as I can. And the deluxe hood ornaments are pretty cool since they light up.

[​IMG]

17. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I do like your ride. There are two guys here that I'm familiar with who have '51-'52 Pontiac 4drs, one has 2 of them. I like the fact your leaving the paint and body intact. Perhaps some course rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease then a good wax job would do wonders for the ol' girl. Keep us posted.

18. Wow you work fast! .To a car show aready? Heck I been working on my 56 buick wagon for 2 years and now I am ready to show it off but the cold weather is setting in. lol.I guess I will take it to Food City tomorrow when I go food shopping and see if I get any lookers.Thanks Bruce.

19. We go to the Gatlinburg craftsman show at the Gatlinburg Convention Center at least once each year. Will look for the Buck cruisin' the streets.

20. blktie

blktie

Love my hood ornament! Most talked about thing on the car!

21. old1946truck

old1946truck

Well I screwed up I decided to repaint the stainless steel molding on the hood. The molding used to have gloss black paint in the grooves. I used exterior enamel paint I started around noon Sunday I checked it around dark and it was just barely tacky. So I didn't worry about it but when I got up there was dew all over the car. I went out and checked it and it was dry to the touch. When I got home this afternoon it's hazy and chalky. Is there any way to cure this or just break out the 1000 grit and redo it?

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You could try Simonize polish first, once the paint is really cured.
    If it's not cured well the enamel paint will probably just wipe right off with a rag & MEK (lacquer thinner)

23. old1946truck

old1946truck

I looked at it this afternoon when I got home and it's not chalky anymore but it's flat and not glossy.

24. old1946truck

old1946truck

I'm late replying but I used some 3M rubbing compound on the waterfall molding the hood and it turned out really good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Dave B.

Dave B.

I'm a real fan of the early '50s Pontiacs. When I was a kid, my uncle had a '50 fastback - battleship gray with a straight eight and a three-on-the-tree. Every now and again, he'd take my cousins (his grandsons) and me for a ride somewhere. I loved the sound and smoothness of that big old eight!

26. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

My first restoration was a '52 w/flathead 8. Only had 48,000 miles on it, and dealer ship installed seat covers- once removed showed like new seat upholstery - clock worked too. It was a great car.

27. old1946truck

old1946truck

I haven't updated in awhile but this is on the way home Thanksgiving eve .
    get-attachment (25).jpg

28. old1946truck

old1946truck

I cleaned the chrome today with some steel wool and never hull wadding. I think the chrome looks pretty good to be over 60 years old.

get-attachment (1).jpg get-attachment.jpg

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice Pontiac, my first car (at 14) was a 53 Chieftain.
    Love it when you remove some nasty old seat covers to find a like new seats underneath. have had it happen 3 or 4 times.
    Subscribed

30. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx