Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 11the Annual ATLANTA $10,000 Drag Race & Car Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Aug 10, 2013.

1. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Probably going to catch some hell for this ........but here it goes.
    You guys did ask for feedback.

Let me start off by saying I love going to nostalgic events. Especially the type of people I meet at theses types of races. Has a different vibe than most other types of drag racing. Bowling Green is a perfect example. For $100 I race for 3 days......and get to sit around a campfire and BS with someone who turned wrenches on the original Winged Express (among many other accomplishments) back in the day, and talk with a guy who teamed up with Garlits to run at Bonneville. Cool stuff.

Here's the feedback...... Are you guys allowing the late model cars/bikes and REDs (basically the regular bracket and sportsman racers) run on Sat like last year? Kinda takes the fun out of the "nostalgia" element of the event when I see a late model Mustang/Camaro or a Hayabusa running. Have absolutely nothing against them. Respect anyone that gets out on the track.....but I can see them run one almost any other weekend.

And from how I read the web site, the Fast Fri night test and tune regulars will be running on Fri night? Correct?

I'd like to have seen you guys concentrate on a better one or two day "nostalgia" event (pre 72' only) rather than expand what you had last year.

Don't mean to ruffle feathers. Just hope to provide feedback that might help make a good event...great.

2. Hey scottmech, you ain't gonna catch hell from us. We did ask for feedback, and there sure isn't any benefits if people are just telling us what they think we want to hear. :)

First off, thanks for your thoughtful comments. To hopefully answer your question, bear in mind, that last year's event was the first. Even though the old historic Atlanta $10,000 Drag Race was a serious "modern" event during the years 1964 through 1972, this new version is in it's second year infancy as a grass roots effort at creating a fun nostalgia style event for the southeast. The key word here is "infancy." It takes an enormous effort to make it happen. It also takes a lot of money. To hopefully make a new event successful, it takes a few years of trial and error to find what will work and what will not. As much as we all love traditional style drag racing, at the end of an event, you're left with two things: 1) Did we have a fun and safe event? 2) Can we pay the bills that have been incurred from throwing this event?

If the answer is "no" to either of these questions, there is a big problem.

We're quite sure that you really know all this, but the point is this, for this event to grow into an annual event where we all can come together and have fun hangin' out and having a blast with cars, it's going to take you, me, and everyone else who we can get on board to make it happen. That means coming out to the track (whether you bring a car or not), bring all the enthusiasm you can muster, and let's make it the event into what we all want.

That brings me to the point that is more specific to answering your question. At least at the first few events, it is necessary to include some machines that are not considered nostalgic or old school. This is part of satisfying the "paying the bills" that was mentioned above. To run this event at such a fine facility as the Atlanta Dragway, it takes some serious dough. However, as time goes on, the event has the potential to become something that is more akin to Bowling Green or some of the other big nostalgia meets. That is only going to happen when we all can get the word out that there's this cool new event on the rise and all the nostalgia racers and enthusiasts start showing up.

Julius Hughes, owner of the Atlanta Speed Shop and "Zot V" FED, is the promoter of this event. Be assured, he is one of us. He's not some promoter who's mainly in it for the money. He, like us all, wants to see more and more events that cater to hot rodders and nostalgia drag racers. In the days to come, he will be posting more details regarding the classes of cars and will probably elaborate on what we are discussing here. He understands the short comings of last years event. Many of those problems have been addressed. That's not to say that this years event will be perfect, but you and I and everyone else who loves this stuff, can work with Julius to make future events what we collectively want them to be.

Before I close this post, I'll make this one last statement about the not so HAMB friendly cars that showed up last year. The sportsman cars and other contemporary style cars that showed up at the event, many who have never really come into contact with nostalgia style racing or with the many old style hot rods that showed up, were very taken with the whole traditional scene. Many voiced a desire to find out more and possibly make the transition over to our side. Now think about that! The HAMB has always been about spreading the gospel of traditional hot rodding, and here we are talking about converting people to our way of thinking. That's certainly worth the effort! ;):)

So, at any rate scottmech, let's meet up at the track and talk car stuff! :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

I appreciate the response.

Kinda figured it had to do with paying the bills. I imagine it's not easy attracting top fuel cars to a one day event as well....

And I did figure the original ATL10K was a "modern" event......as there was no "nostalgic racing" movement at the time....lol

A friend of mine has voiced his opinions on last years event to Julius, and he did agree there were issues. But like you said, hopefully those will be addressed at this years event.

I should be there to race. So if you see a blown street legal Fiat altered running around.....please feel free to give me some hell.....lol

4. I think I remember there being a blown street legal Fiat in the car show at last year's event. Was that yours?

Julius told me that he has some more Fuelers lined up for this years event. They are also going to run a round earlier in the day. Hell, I'm looking forward to it! I don't know about you, but I prefer to spend much more time hangin' out in the pits than in the stands. I go to the stands when I need a break from the pits. :D

5. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

That was me. Car hadn't been shaken down yet.....so didn't run last year. Got everything sorted and ran at HRR in BG this year. Had a blast. It aint the fastest car on the block.......but it sure is fun.

I love the atmosphere in the pits as well. Hope I can make it.

[​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Hope you can be with us Neat rod would love to see you run

7. I thought I'd post this for fun.

I recently found out from Elaine (jetboatmama) that the Atlanta Speed Shop acquired the body to their old Funny car not too long ago. It originally was Tom McEwen's steel flip-top bodied Barracuda F/C. The Atlanta Speed Shop bought and campaigned the car in 1969 with an Atlanta Speed Shop prepped 392 Chrysler Hemi. Later, it was sold off. How cool would it be to have the Atlanta Speed Shop recreate the car (hint ... hint, Julius ;))?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dmc3113

dmc3113

Toby if my memory is correct I think that was originally the Candies & Hughes car before McEwen bought it.

9. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Went to a little show tonight in winder. "Parked" next to a guy with a sweet little blown 392 willys. He seems pretty excited about the show and got the date for the gear jam and the 10,000 drags from me.

[​IMG]

10. ^^^ Very cool!^^^

11. Holy shit, man, you're right! I did a little research to verify your claim, and you're spot on. That is pretty darn cool!! Here's the progression .........

Candies & Hughes
    [​IMG]

Tom McEwen
    [​IMG]

Julius Hughes Jr. & the Atlanta Speed Shop
    [​IMG]

WHAT A HISTORY!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  12. dmc3113

dmc3113

It was logghe 4 wheel coil over suspended chassis. My friend J.Ed Horton was the last driver. Scotty Scott drove it first after Julius bought it. I think who ever bought the car tried to mount a Mustang body on it. I have no idea what happened to the car after that. Since they have the body J.Ed could do a recreation of it.

13. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Super picture Tyler. Would you be interested in receiving some fliers to pass around to others? If so please contact me at [email protected] with your mailing address and I will get them out to you

14. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Some day when the funds$$$ are available our desire at Atlanta Speed Shop is to restore the Zot Fish and Zot III

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  15. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

[​IMG]

Well it is all about the racing & that weekend was the Coca Cola sponsored event

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  16. Was that the weekend that you wore those? Wow, I was there! That ticket stub is proof. :eek::D:D

17. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

I thought I would post about the rules at Atlanta Dragway because I heard some people are worried about Tech.

Remember we have a Car Show, Car Corral, and Cacklefest if your not ready to race but still want to participate. The cacklefest is for race cars only but you don't have to be on nitro to be in it. All 1979 and earlier styled cars are welcome! Gassers, old Pro Stocks, whatever.

If your car is slower than 11.49 in the quarter then tech is actually pretty simple. You need a seatbelt, full compliment of lug nuts, radiator overflow tank, helmet, and driveshaft loop. Loop is not required if you are 14 seconds and slower and there are probably a lot of street cars in the 12.5 to 14 range that dont ahave loops that run every week there.

If you are a convertible or dune buggy things get strict at 13.99 but all others are 11.49.

If you run between 10.00 and 11.49 things get more complicated. This is when seat belts have to be certified, roll bars and roll cages may be required and many other rules kick in.

If you run 9.99 and quicker things are strict. Certified chassis and NHRA license are required. If you don't have the license you can start the process at this race and still run.

I have summarized these rules on www.atlanta10000.com under Nostalgia Gas class rules.

If you have questions call me at Atlanta Speed Shop. 770-534-1560

18. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Looking forward to seeing you there

19. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

I was reading the rulebook this morning.

Driveshaft loop is only required on cars with slicks that run 13.99 and faster.
    If you run street tires you can go 11.50 and slower without a loop. That explains why I see that going on.

A few other things:

If your gas cap is in your trunk, you must vent tank to outside of body.

Coolant overflow is 1 pint minimum.

Reverse lockout is required on non OEM shifters. I don't think they check this but they might on street rods with homemade shifters. Home made reverse lockout is fine.

Secure your battery.

You are supposed to have one functioning tail light.

Helmet should be M2005, SA2000, or SFI 31.1a

Floor boards and firewalls are required in all cars for you true hill jacks!

Thanks and don't be intimidated about the rules. Come out and have some fun!

20. From the glory days of the old Atlanta $10,000 ..............

[​IMG]

21. dmc3113

dmc3113

Scottie Scott!

22. dmc3113

dmc3113

The body is fiberglass not steel. It was very heavy though. Do they stiil have the Zot Fish body? I think it hung in the machine shop at the speed shop at one time.

Danny

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  23. Elaine said she thought it was steel, or maybe I misunderstood. I've never seen it. As for having the body, she says they have it now and would like to recreate the car one day. They also have the red altered body as well and plan to recreate that one, too, when funds become available.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  24. Falconred

Falconred

I am sending you a PM with my address. I will be glad to hand out fliers.

25. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

The Zot Fish 'Cuda is glass. Very ooooolld glass. The roadster has been indoors all these years and is in good shape. Roadster is Zot III.

26. dmc3113

dmc3113

Thanks, I got my names crossed up.

27. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

More Fliers are being printed Some will be on their way to you soon
    Thanks for helping us spread the word about the event

28. Falconred

Falconred

They came in the mail yesterday, I'll probably need some more in the future. Local cruise in here and at Cleveland, TN coming up.

29. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Nite-Flyer is there can't wait. Ashlei and I can help set up Friday if needed

30. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

I always liked the long headers