Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trumph, Aug 8, 2013.

1. docmike

docmike

Thanks to everyone that took the time to share you photos. I've never been to B'ville but I've told my wife that one day after I get my '51 Chevy going we are going to Speed Week. I do have one question though, what is the average temp during Speed Week?

Doc

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Like Rich says "hot" But there is no humidity. This year it was even warm in the morning, no sweatshirt required.

The temps were 90-95 during the day. Although we tracked the inlet air temp on our racecar and the range there was between 103 and 112 all week long.

Let me stress again the no humidity. It's a lot more pleasant at Bonneville than being in NJ or anywhere on the east coast during August.

Frank

4. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

X2 on no humidity. You can be out on the salt and not sweat, that's good enough for me. Been there twice, hopefully again.

5. Ah! Glad to see you here.:cool: I could have sworn you got the boot a while back:eek:

6. With leather? :D

7. Weather was quite nice this year. I thought. :rolleyes:

8. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

One day the humidity in SLC was 6%

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

If you're from Phoenix, its like springtime.

10. docmike

docmike

No humidity....sounds good to me. Not too long ago here in northern Illinois we had an evening that was an honest 90% humidity. Even the evening weather man commented how 90% humidity is pretty uncommon outside of tropical rain forests.

As long as I can remember I've had an interest in B'ville because it is the one place where anybody can be competitive with almost any vehicle that their budget can support. And it is the one place where innovative thinking and an imagination is just as important as how much you have to spend on your car.

Doc

11. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

At 71 yrs of age, a -20 firesuit(with all gear) and 92 deg. temp it was too hot for me to drive the roadster for the first time. I will get my chance at World Finals.

DW

12. firingorder1

firingorder1

At 67 in black leathers I was getting near the limit. Flip me over, this side is done.

[​IMG]

13. It felt way better this year temp wise than the last 2 or 3

14. I wasnt able to meet up with you this year. I was disappointed =( I saw you a few times towing though =)

15. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Great thread and great photos....thanks very much! Bonneville is on my "bucket list".....I totally agree with 193257 - Alan Johnson is one of the nicest and most talented young man you'll ever meet...everytime I see him at an event, he goes out of his way to speak and chat for a few minutes...arrogance is not in his vocabulary!..hell arrogance and Alabama don't go together!!...Joe

16. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

This was a few minutes before we went 209 MPH. JC

Attached Files:

17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It seems the key to succes at Bonneville is as much physical endurance of the drivers and crew as it is the capability of the machines. That was true for Ab Jeknins and the 24-48 hour endurance records that started the whole thing, and it remains true for today's warriors of speed that sweat and bleed for speed.

[​IMG]

18. Some video I shot from the start line of a few cars leaving the line.

19. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Its a dry heat, like the inside of a nuclear reactor. I stand by my impressions of the Stupidbakers owner, you weren't there, I was. Others opinions may vary

20. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

At E13th and Ave E their is a building with a very early Mack truck on display (solid tires). The building houses the Studebaker guys collection of mostly restored Studebaker trucks. Very impressive collection. I was staying overnight in Ely and was out for a walk after dinner when I noticed the Mack and the guy invited me to see his collection.

21. Awesome. Wish we had've bumped into him, that would have been great to see.

22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Rad pics Boris, and we finally get to a see pic of #3663 on the course! Thanks!