Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first rod 23 T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justheman, Aug 22, 2013.

1. justheman

justheman

Here she is built in the 60s by my grandpa, he built the frame at the machine shop he worked at. Put in the 322 nailhead and had a steel body on it. My dad got it from him in the early 80s and switched out the body for fiberglass :confused: just gave it to me. I know body work but nothing about motors. It runs for a little bit but will die after awhile thinking the fuel pump may be bad not sure though... Plan on finding a steel body but until then going to paint it black and put my company logo on it. Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You had me until the company logo thing. Signs belong on delivery vans IMO. :)

Cool little hot rod and the nailhead makes it cooler. Your fuel system probably needs thoroughly gone through after sitting so long. Start at the tank and end up at the carbs.

Don

Oh, and get rid of those solid fuel lines to each carb, or at least put some hose in there somewhere. The lines will crack from vibration and movement of the engine.

4. justheman

justheman

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377230321.050514.jpg that's my logo I am a mobile Dj so I think it would be cool to put on it. I understand everyone has their own opinions! Thanks for the tips on the fuel system ill start there!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Looks good! I'd lose the electric fan & radiator hose decorum - looks like you have enough room for a good old mechanical fan. What about making a little tonneau cover for the bed with your logo stitched on?

6. justheman

justheman

I like that idea! And ya when I revamp the motor going to change a few things

7. justheman

justheman

Do you have any suggestions on fuel lines?

8. slammed

slammed

Shiny black paint.

9. Lurk king

Lurk king

10. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Looks like a cool little T, who owns the '32 in your avatar?

11. midroad

midroad

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. justheman

justheman

That is my grandpas the same one who built this car.

I have checked out those threads numerous times!

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, you could cut each of the 3 lines and insert some rubber fuel line in there to give each one some wiggle room when the motor torques or shakes. It's a shame to do that because he spent a lot of time making them very evenly bent, but in time they would have developed leaks. Maybe just a short piece of fuel line where they go into each carb.......wouldn't be as pretty but would help IMO.

Give us some more pictures of the car, it's very cool.

Don

14. dan31

dan31

cool car! Get it running good and just drive it. A couple miles and a little time and it will tell you how to redo it.Metal bodies are great but there is nothing wrong with your glass body if its in good shape.:)

15. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Sweet! I like the logo you've got in mind also. However, I don't know if I could paint over what Gramps did. Guilt trip here.

16. justheman

justheman

I don't mind changing the lines and doing my own thing to it. I feel like its my duty to change it as long as I keep the engine & Frame the same for the most part as that is what my dad did with it. He changed the body, the paint & then made some adjustments to the engine as far as appearance and added the carbs that are on it. I hope my son will do the same when I pass it down to him. He is only 1 and a half and will sit in it and pretend to drive and won't let me get him out.

17. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I say get it running an drive the pee out of it. Then worry about changes when the weather turns!

18. ditto

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks great! You will want to put a dual quad setup to get the most out of that nailhead. Please send the 3 deuce setup to me...

20. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I dig the valve covers.

21. Great car!1 My first hot rod type car was a "T" Love the buick engine too. The big question is are you leaning on him for the 5 window???? Tim

22. awesome... just make sure you get it safe and reliable and then enjoy the hell out of it!

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking T Bucket. All the advice/opinions so far are good ones. I wouldn't dream of changing anything on that Nailhead. Clean the tank, lines and new filters. Some rubber hose will cure the possible line leaks. No logo, please. Besides, a logo may void specialty insurance depending on the company.

That Nailhead puts you miles ahead of the SBC/SBF crowd. Good luck with it.

24. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

I have had 4 T Buckets in the last 5 years...they are not the most practical ..... but then again....that's why they are bitchen! I like it!

25. Love the balance this car has, very cool. JW

26. justheman

justheman

I wish I could get that 5 window...
    Thats what im trying to do now... just want to get it running for the rest of the season... so lost and confused at this point.... oye vey

27. justheman

justheman

Alright I need help getting this thing running... I can start it and run it but it seems whenever the temp gets to 130ish it putters and dies where should I start?

28. dan31

dan31

Without hearing it run its very hard to tell,it could be many different things.i had something like this happen to me and believe it or not it was the coil.Just thought I would throw that out there.

29. justheman

justheman

I've replaced the coil already... Would you suggest i take some video?

30. justheman

justheman

Figured it out it was the fuel pump! Wooty woo